Kalifornias contradictory Motorized Bike laws in pictures.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
california.. the land of c.a.r.b. and home of more china 2 strokes than china itself. in china its all honda's or clones. junk in china is a boat. honda powered of course.
LOL True, true and true. I hear that chain saw sound goin' down the road at least once a day.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've learned a few things from riding my bike in California.

The laws can be kind of strict and sometimes contradictory, but for the most part they aren't unreasonable. Just a little hard to abide by without spending some extra cash. If you're just riding your bike around a neighborhood, I wouldn't suggest spending the extra money on lights, turn signals, registration, etc. If it's just a toy then just treat it that way, and the possibility of getting in trouble will be extremely remote. Using your bike to commute, on the other hand, requires the same things that other vehicles require.

Most importantly, though, most cops aren't out there to nab people for itty bitty parts of regulations; they're just looking to make sure that you're being responsible and not putting yourself or others at risk. As long as you've got your lights, your DOT helmet, your plate, and you're not driving like a maniac, then the most the cops will do is pull you over to just ask you about your bike out of curiosity. There will be exceptions of course, but in general, most cops aren't that petty. They're people too, and the might even think your bike is cool. Not all of them, since some cops are trashy a-holes. But generally, cops are alright as long as you're being responsible.

EDIT: It's one thing to be mad at CARB/EPA for draconian regulations making 2-strokes hard to get, but California motor vehicle laws aren't that hard to abide by.

Last edited:

roadrockett

Feb 2, 2013
gilroy california
i was going to try to make my motorized bicycle somewhat legal in califorina by plating it as a motorized bike/moped . the reg230 form asked for ser # and an engine # . does anyone know what we are to put in as the #s ?

thanks dan

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I live in San Diego. My bikes have neither been registered or have any of the extra safety equipment (wheel reflectors, rear reflector, horn, mirror, etc.) and presently a VERY loud exhaust (glass pack muffler).

I have passed MANY Officers of the Law and have some of the do double takes when driving by. I have driven through drunk stops and registration checks. I have had Officers walk up to me while stopped to take a look at my bike.

I ALWAYS acknowledge them with eye contact and a friendly nod.

I ALWAYS wear a helmet.

I ALWAYS do a complete stop at stop signs, use hand signals for turns and stay in the bike lane when possible.

Knock on wood, I have yet to be stopped or harassed. I think most officers would rather not be bothered unless you're driving like an idiot, in which case even I'd stop you!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I must say that San Diego is a great place to own and ride motorized bikes without any hassles. Sure hope it stays that way cuz it's a year round form of cheap transportation for me and I've been doing it for several years now.

One thing that could ruin it for us all are the idiots I see riding around here daily on and off the sidewalks, riding at night with no lights, blowing through stop signs and red lights, all of the above and with no helmet as well. These people need to get a clue........seriously!

Ride safe and aware, your life does depend on it. Helmets people (we ain't in Texas)!

dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
One thing that could ruin it for us all are the idiots I see riding around here daily on and off the sidewalks, riding at night with no lights, blowing through stop signs and red lights, all of the above and with no helmet as well. These people need to get a clue........seriously!

Ride safe and aware, your life does depend on it. Helmets people (we ain't in Texas)!
No helmet is $200 ++ in CA and every motorcycle cop knows that anything gas powered needs a helmet.

Those kinda riders don't read this forum......