What classifies an engine as an engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
There's been a big debate in my house over how to legally ride my new MB on main roads. I have no trouble going through neighborhoods with the engine, but without a license, registration,or insurance, if a cop pulls me over I'd be screwed. I'm fine with peddling on main roads, but my (pretty arrogant) mom wont even let me do that. I try to explain to her that even just pulling out the spark plug makes it legal, she wont believe it.

So, what do you think makes an engine an engine. Without a plug, theres no ignition or compression. Basically doesn't that make it kinda like an air compressor? Valves? Check. Ports? Check. Piston? Check. There has to be some dividing line between a pile of metal with screws and an actual engine.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'd say an engine is an engine........whether it's running or not is an entirely different thing. That's all I've got, check with your local authorities, they'll let you know ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The cop who stops you has the final word. If he issues a citation, it's up to you to prove he's wrong. Good luck. :)

I'm not trying to be a SA, but some of our local riders recently encountered a cop who wouldn't allow them to even push their bikes through his jurisdiction simply by virtue of the fact that their bikes had engines. He said they were illegal and that was that. His interpretation of the law was all that mattered at the time.
You need to check your local laws and abide by them. You'll only get opinions here, not facts.

Tom

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There's been a big debate in my house over how to legally ride my new MB on main roads. I have no trouble going through neighborhoods with the engine, but without a license, registration,or insurance, if a cop pulls me over I'd be screwed. I'm fine with peddling on main roads, but my (pretty arrogant) mom wont even let me do that. I try to explain to her that even just pulling out the spark plug makes it legal, she wont believe it.

So, what do you think makes an engine an engine. Without a plug, theres no ignition or compression. Basically doesn't that make it kinda like an air compressor? Valves? Check. Ports? Check. Piston? Check. There has to be some dividing line between a pile of metal with screws and an actual engine.
The legal term no matter where you are is if you were "operating" the engine at the time you got pulled over. If the engine is not running at the time then how can you be operating it? If your not operating it then your simply transporting it on your bike. I would like to see a URL link to any law that says you can't transport an engine on a bicycle or a wheelbarrow for that matter. A judge would throw that charge out of court unless the engine was actually running at the time.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Buuuuuut... If you pop the chain off, your bike is no longer motorized. At best, it has a noisemake attached to it. For that matter, once the chain is off, you likely can't even start it. Then again, jerk cop is gonna be a jerk cop no matter what you do.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Buuuuuut... If you pop the chain off, your bike is no longer motorized. At best, it has a noisemake attached to it. For that matter, once the chain is off, you likely can't even start it. Then again, jerk cop is gonna be a jerk cop no matter what you do.
The cop can charge with whatever he feels at the time but as far as a judge upholding the charge. It will NEVER happen unless the kid was actually "operating" the engine on the bike when he is pulled over. If the engine is off then how can he operate it? Without a spark, air and gasoline, it's impossible..... the last time I tried.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I doubt the law says that it has to do with operating the engine. It more likey has wording about operating a motor vehicle. I know that this is the case in PA.

Whether the engine operates or not has nothing to do with it. If you break the speed limit rolling a non-running car down a hill, a cop it still going to write you up for speeding, operating without a license, or whatever offense. That cop isn't going to care if the car is out of gas, doesn't have spark plugs, or has the intake manifold filled with sand. Engine running or not, you are still operating a motor vehicle.

I'm with mom on this one. It's still a moped/motorized bike even if the engine doesn't run.

So, when is a bicycle considered motorized, and therefore subject to moped law? Well, I guess it depends on the officer. Does it need a chain, sprocket, etc.? How about a gastank? Throttle control? Engine?

I have a feeling that a you, me, your mom, a cop, and a judge might have varying opinions on the issue. As for me, what my mom doesn't know won't hurt her. :)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I doubt the law says that it has to do with operating the engine. It more likey has wording about operating a motor vehicle. I know that this is the case in PA.

Whether the engine operates or not has nothing to do with it. If you break the speed limit rolling a non-running car down a hill, a cop it still going to write you up for speeding, operating without a license, or whatever offense. That cop isn't going to care if the car is out of gas, doesn't have spark plugs, or has the intake manifold filled with sand. Engine running or not, you are still operating a motor vehicle.

I'm with mom on this one. It's still a moped/motorized bike even if the engine doesn't run.

So, when is a bicycle considered motorized, and therefore subject to moped law? Well, I guess it depends on the officer. Does it need a chain, sprocket, etc.? How about a gastank? Throttle control? Engine?

I have a feeling that a you, me, your mom, a cop, and a judge might have varying opinions on the issue. As for me, what my mom doesn't know won't hurt her. :)
He can also write you up for speeding on a bicycle with or without a motor on that same hill. What he can't write you up for is "operating" a motor vehicle unless the engine is "operating" at the time. "Operating" is not just a word, it's also a legal definition and will get a charge dismissed unless the incident or infraction met that legal definition at the time. It's that simple, even for a half wit lawyer. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

If you get liquored up and you're passed out in your car in the drivers seat with the engine off and car parked and you are not "operating" the vehicle at the time a cop finds you, then he can write you up for anything that legally applies at the time depending on the situation. What he can't write you up for is a DUI because you actually have to be "driving" or "operating" the vehicle at the time, unless you wrapped your car around a light pole. Then that's another story. You're doomed.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
He can also write you up for speeding on a bicycle with or without a motor on that same hill. What he can't write you up for is "operating" a motor vehicle unless the engine is "operating" at the time. "Operating" is not just a word, it's also a legal definition and will get a charge dismissed unless the incident or infraction met that legal definition at the time. It's that simple, even for a half wit lawyer. LOL
Just having a motorized bike on public property could get you
tickets for not having the plate or other equipment violations.

Your motorized bike would not have to be running or it could even
be disabled ion some way but you could still get tickets because it
isn't a bicycle anymore when you add an engine.

The same rules apply for any other vehicle like a car, motorcycle or
moped. If they aren't currently registered or have no plates, or any
visible equipment violations they will get tickets.
They don't have to be running and could be disabled but why would
that make any difference?
If your bike has no plate or any equipment violations the only place
you couldn't get a ticket would be on private property

The only motor you could put on your bike would be one of those
toy ones.
Some people here think they can kill the engine to get around this
but all any cop has to do is to feel the heat from your motor to
prove that it has been running.

You will still get the ticket and more if you act like a lawyer to the
cop and you are delusional if you think that a judge is going to side
with you when you are playing games and saying that your engine
is just "decorative", "non functional" or that you are only "transporting" it. :D

Damn, that cop really got to you and put you over the edge. :)
You are making a lot of law posts......

I think you should seek that cop out on the street and get a ticket
so you can challenge all this stuff in court.

Good luck and please tell us what happens cause it will be a great story.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you get liquored up and you're passed out in your car in the drivers seat with the engine off and car parked and you are not "operating" the vehicle at the time a cop finds you, then he can write you up for anything that legally applies at the time depending on the situation. What he can't write you up for is a DUI because you actually have to be "driving" or "operating" the vehicle at the time, unless you wrapped your car around a light pole. Then that's another story. You're doomed.
The keyword here is "operating". I know a young lady, a neighbor's daughter, who was charged with DUI, handcuffed and taken to jail when a cop found her sound asleep, passed out, behind the steering wheel of her car in the parking lot of the bar she had been drinking in. The charge stood up in court and she had to pay the fine because, the engine was running. No, she wasn't operating the car, she was asleep and it was parked, correctly and legally. But the determination was that because the engine was running she was "operating" the car while under the influence of alcohol. The judge said, "Next case!"

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Actually there have been many people that have got DUI tickets
in the scenario that you quote especially if you have access to the key.

If you are drunk inside your car you will get a DUI ticket written
and then you will basically have to prove that you didn't drive it drunk
which you may win, but you will lose either way because of wasted time,
lawyers fees, etc.