I got my first Ticket!!

GoldenMotor.com

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
So I'm riding home and at the first intersection I roll up to the stop sign look both ways still going about 7-8 MPH, seeing no traffic within a mile I pedal off, remember that pedal off. Then down the next street I'm almost home when the Chief pulls me over, he said I did not come to a complete stop at the stop sign and gives me a ticket because it's a motorized vehicle, if it was a bicycle it wouldn't matter. But really should I still get a ticket when I pedaled away? Now if was a speeding ticket that'd be a different story I'd laminate that ticket and stick behind a glass case, but the stop sign really bugs me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's a bummer. In Texas bicycles are required to follow the same laws of the road as cars, so it wouldn't matter if you were peddling or not to the judge. You're just a nuter dirty rotten stinkin criminal in the eyes of the law. That's the good news lol.

The bad news is it's almost impossible to beat a stop sign ticket. About the only way is if the cop doesn't show up, but in a small town..........lots of luck.

Still there's a little room for compromise. Did you know that in Texas the jury gets to set the fine. A lot of times if it looks like the circumstances would have allowed you to do what you did safely the jury will set a low fine. They could even find you not guilty, but it's not likely unless you own half the town. The judge knows this, and will probably offer you a deal to forget the trial. Of course that still makes you a dirty rotten guilty law breaker, but you might save a little money that way.

What I would do is ask for deferred adjudication. If you don't get any other tickets during the probation period they dismiss the ticket, but you still have to pay it. This is where you can screw with the judge. If he offers 90 days deferred, tell him a jury trial also sounds pretty good to you, but maybe 30 days deferred would work. It doesn't hurt to try. One time I got 1 day deferred adjudication for a speeding ticket for 10 over. Talk about a money racket.

One way or another they're probably going to get your money. The question is how much?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Here in FL, it doesn't matter if the cop shows up. Its all up to the judge and state attourney's mood whnen you go to each of your court dates. They may just drop it and tell u to make sure u come to a complete stop at the stop signs. lol :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
In a small town I'd just pay the ticket or else you are poking a stick at them.
The last thing you want is pissing off the law where they have nothing better to do than keep screwing with you.

I think I'd just go see the judge, tell him you did a 'safe rolling stop' because nobody was around and if anyone was you always yield to cars for your OWN safety, and won't do it again.

You may skate with no fine or at least a small one.
One note, dress nice for court and be cordial if you want a break ;-}

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
id just pay it seems like it be easier to do that than fight it and check for cops and people next time im guilty of zipiing past stop sighns on my bike to but ive been lucky so far and i check for people and cops mainly cops just dont wana be hassled .xx.

i got pulled over for suposedly running a stop sighn i didnt in my truck i didnt have drivers liscene on me but had my military id so i got a 60 dollar ticket for driveing withouht my liscenes on me sorry but thats just a stupid law to me its in the computer and i had valid photo id any way my wife hands me my liscene and says hey if you woulda brought this you woudlnt have got the ticket i leave the room for a minute next thing i know my dog ate half of the drivers liscene same day 60 dollar fine and my liscene got eaten

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
In a small town I'd just pay the ticket or else you are poking a stick at them.
The last thing you want is pissing off the law where they have nothing better to do than keep screwing with you.

I think I'd just go see the judge, tell him you did a 'safe rolling stop' because nobody was around and if anyone was you always yield to cars for your OWN safety, and won't do it again.

You may skate with no fine or at least a small one.
One note, dress nice for court and be cordial if you want a break ;-}
"'safe' rolling stop and no body around"... I doubt it...
If the cop saw it, there WAS someone on the road, the cop!
LOL

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
You see the chief here has eyes that can see me at the other end of town, and if he was at the gas station or carwash which I'm sure he was at one of them it would be very easy for him see me without being on the road. Just for kicks and another possible ticket, I wanna ride around and see if he'll follow me to a stop sign, then jump off the bike without stopping pickup the bike and run through then jump back on and see what he does. He's probably gonna hate me the rest of his career. :p

Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Your right. I'll have to save that idea until I'm ready to move:) Man if only that day would come sooner I'd go out to the country where I can shoot and ride all day without someone watching, and without stop signs lol.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ya know, Texhun, the obnoxious spandexters in Indy have caused some scary moments when they go rolling through the stop signs like they aren't there, with moderate traffic present. Now, over here, the law states plainly that any wheeled vehicle, whatever the power source, MUST stop for stop signs and stop lights on public roads. Do these cyclists get in trouble with the law. Not that I've observed. Could that be one (of a few) cause for animosity between the motorists and the cyclists regarding sharing the road. Possibly. If they are required by law to stop like everybody else, MBs included, then I'd like to see those high-and-mighty pedal pushers get the same kind of ticket we would.

What the law says and what the law does often seem to be two different things.

End o' rant. Thanks for tuning in.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Theres one here in town it's got a 12gauge slug hole in it. It got a lesson for getting people tickets apparently.
Way out in BFE where I grew up, I heard a buddy of mine say that there was this scientific theory:

If an infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickups with an infinite number of shotgun shells shoot at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually replicate all the world's great literary works in braille.
laff

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Roadies will never change, stop signs are invisable to them. Mountain bike are also invisable to them until one blows past them. I wait for the day to see a roadie run a stop, get pulled over and ticketeddance1

Oh I can see their mentality of it......it's such an inconvenience to un-clip one foot from the pedal, slide off of the saddle, put the one foot on the ground and balance for a brief stopped moment, put a foot back on the pedal, slide back onto the saddle whilst pulling the spandex out of the ass crack and clipping back into the pedal struggling to regain momentum they shouldn't have lost in the first place! And if they don't have this sequents of events mastered, they fall over at the stop doing 1-2mph and look like fools to the whole world........see, they have there reason, now explain it to the judge!

dnut

Last edited: