43 mph 70 km speed videos

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Not to sound rude or negative, but riding at that speed is just asking to get killed. U wreck at speed over 20, you may not live.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
LOL!! they need a chicken riding a bike graphic for the under 20mph crew... jk can anybody make one

reddd like this but with feathers, beak and crop!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
A bicycle isn't made to go at sustained speeds over 20mph. It'll fall apart under the stress. Going over 20 is putting your life at risk as well as others. Just stating the facts...

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Twenty is good enough for me. I spent 23 months in an army hospital because my bones didn't want to heal like they should have. I was only 20 at the time. Now I'm 64 and don't want to see how long it would take to heal them! I might be 100 when they healed. But at least Willard Scott might say my name then! LOL!

Terry

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I do not understand where in the world people come up with this malarkey. I ride my, pedal only, bike at speeds greater than 20 miles an hour almost everyday. When you say bicycles aren't made to go over 20 miles an hour, you just show your ignorance. And if you think you're going to die, if you crash when going over 20 miles an hour, then you just show your cowardice. Or you're not wearing any safety gear when you ride, in which case you, again, show your own ignorance.

Please note, I am NOT calling anyone stupid. Ignorance simply means you don't know what you're talking about. This post was NOT meant to offend anyone. If you are offended then I suggest you get over it and learn what the facts are in order to stop promoting nonsense.

To the OP. Nice video. Sure looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
A bicycle isn't made to go at sustained speeds over 20mph. It'll fall apart under the stress. Going over 20 is putting your life at risk as well as others. Just stating the facts...
Can you cite where you obtained your facts?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Bikelanes...? Lets see... hmmm they are seperated from the road by a white line, or curb or something cuz why?.... They are way slower than cars.... duh!

Bikes aren't made with any safety features.... No e-brake, no airbag etc. Therefore, they are made for low speed, not the speeds required to keep up with car traffic. Going over 20mph wears out everything on the bike faster. Bearings, tires, rims, spokes, handlebars, brakes etc.

Nunyabdness- There is alot to consider when it comes to how fast u pedal a bicycle, for example: physical shape of the person, age, stamina, strength, height, type of bike, tires etc....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Bikelanes...? Lets see... hmmm they are seperated from the road by a white line, or curb or something cuz why?.... They are way slower than cars.... duh!

Bikes aren't made with any safety features.... No e-brake, no airbag etc. Therefore, they are made for low speed, not the speeds required to keep up with car traffic. Going over 20mph wears out everything on the bike faster. Bearings, tires, rims, spokes, handlebars, brakes etc.

Nunyabdness- There is alot to consider when it comes to how fast u pedal a bicycle, for example: physical shape of the person, age, stamina, strength, height, type of bike, tires etc....
Motorcycles dont have a "e-brake" or an "airbag" either, doesnt mean they are designed for low speed only..... And a motorcycle going over 20mph is going to wear out all the parts you mentioned faster then a motorcycle that stays under 20mph, once again it doesnt mean its designed for low speed use.

Tour De France riders constantly go over 50mph +..... their bikes stay together just fine, and they are on tyres much skinnier with less road contact then we do...... and they crash at that speed....... and dont die.

The many races like Death Race etc exceed speeds of 20mph constantly..... and they crash constantly...... so by your way of thinking there must be numerous deaths that have occurred?

Motorized bikes are dangerous for sure...... more dangerous if they arent built right..... but saying going over 20mph is just plain dangerous and bicycles cannot go that speed without falling apart is bad advice.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Motorcycles aren't ridden in the bikelane. They have nothing to do with this topic. Tour de France is an event. The roads are the raceway. duh! Their bikes and equipment are top of the line. Same with the death race.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I must have missed the bike lane bit, the OP doesn't mention it..... Just you. Seems you set the guidelines for this forum..... Any other rules I should know about..... Besides the not going over 20mph..... Duh!!! Lol

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Motorcycles aren't ridden in the bikelane. They have nothing to do with this topic. Tour de France is an event. The roads are the raceway. duh! Their bikes and equipment are top of the line. Same with the death race.
I didn't realise that the bikes at death race etc are "top of the line".... I
mistakingly thought that regular Joes attended with regular bikes. I had no idea it was open to race bikes only LOL

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Motorized bikes are dangerous for sure...... more dangerous if they arent built right..... but saying going over 20mph is just plain dangerous and bicycles cannot go that speed without falling apart is bad advice.
When it's said "built right", that implies what one does attaching a motor but leaves unsaid another issue if the decision was made to buy a cheap department store bike in the first place. I can unequivocally state many cheap bikes today were specced by the manufacturer to be pedaled 12 to 15 mph tops. It's why case law was established recently in a court case here that excused a manufacturer of product failure liability because the accident victim had attached an engine.

So, I wouldn't call it bad advice necessarily, more like cautious advice IMO and without which we'll be seeing a lot more stories of catastrophic failures in MBs coming down the pike. At least the stories we do hear of, they tend toward the anecdotal, guys might brag about road rash but not so much about brain damage.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
^^^^ James never said it wasnt safe to go more then 20mph on a CHEAPER bicycle. If he did i wouldnt be coming into the conversation..... he said and i quote "A bicycle isn't made to go at sustained speeds over 20mph. It'll fall apart under the stress. Going over 20 is putting your life at risk as well as others. Just stating the facts... "

And he was a little rude with his "DUH" answers, so i thought id enter the conversation. He made a very broad statement, yes there are some bikes i wouldnt take over 20mph, but most bikes (especially vintage) will carry that speed safely, well as safe as a motorized bike will ever be.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
If you want to exceed 20 mph, that's fine by me. Just be sure your nuts are
on tight. Seriously, preflight your bike every time you go out, tires,brakes, etc.
As for myself, I stick at 20 most of the time. Faster means more vibration which
tends to loosen wheel skewers and other things. Having endured nearly as many
broken bones as Evel Knievel, what some call cowardice, I call discretion.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
High speeds are fine as long as the roads are race track smooth. Piss poor roads plus high speeds is what destroys cheap bikes. I got 3500 miles on my bike and I've had a lot of bolts break and come loose, fenders fall off, spokes snap, headlights fly off onto the street, drive chains jump off. All of it was caused by going too fast for the road conditions. I learned real fast. LOL

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I've been going over 70 kph for as along as a i can remember... probably around 3 years now... and ironically the only accidents i've been thru was in low speed. I got 1 bent rim from a pothole, but the rim is still usable as i had it re-aligned. One spoke broke on a separate occasion... and that's it... I've upgraded my spokes to DT Swiss. and soon will be replacing my rim as soon as my tire wears down for replacement. Brakes should definitely be disc at this speeds, and i'm using a 203mm Hayes rotor with mechanical calipers.