Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
THE POLL "<25 INCHES" SHOULD BE >25INCHES
MY MISTAKE!.

some states may have maximum seat hight hight.
in florida the maximum hight is 25 inches fully extended.
being many of us have 26" tires, i would imagine it could be a problem.

so what are your seat heights?

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Hard to believe they have a reg of maximum 25 inches, not doubting what you say just that aren't most motorcycle seats higher than that? 25 inches is just above my knee and my MB seats are all 40" or thereabouts. I can see where that would be a problem and glad we don't have such a silly reg like that here.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
some states may have maximum seat hight hight.
in florida the maximum hight is 25 inches fully extended.
being many of us have 26" tires, i would imagine it could be a problem.

so what are your seat heights?
Holy smokes !

It has to be at least 25 inches is what he is saying !

Min height ! I give up ! ! ! dance1

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Florida's Definition of "Bicycle"
(Section 316.003(2), F.S.)

Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or a similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.

So in Florida you must have a seat height of more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is raised to its highest position. Even most of the Stretch Cruisers, Choppers and Low Riders should have no problem meeting the 25" requirement provided they have enough seatpost "reserve" remaining down in the tube, or have not "hacked" the seat post tube off in favor of a fixed seat.

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
crap! totally my fault. i meant > instead of <.

you are reading it wrong. the part you have underlined say the "The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position"
the word "term" is in reference to being able to call it a bicycle.
it is saying it is not a bicycle if it is taller than 25 inches.
it doesn't make sense the way you read it. most children's bikes are much lower than 25 inches.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
crap! totally my fault. i meant > instead of <.

you are reading it wrong. the part you have underlined say the "The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position"
the word "term" is in reference to being able to call it a bicycle.
it is saying it is not a bicycle if it is taller than 25 inches.
it doesn't make sense the way you read it. most children's bikes are much lower than 25 inches.
It means, it's a bicycle, when the seat if raised to it's highest position, the seat must be 25" or higher off the ground.
Any NORMAL person's bike (even 20" BMX) will have that seat height prerequisite..
Any LITTLE child's bike (16" wheels or smaller) probably won't...
But who's gonna let their 6 year old ride in a bicycle lane and/or on a major road, anyways, not gonna happen..
The main reason for the seat height part is they don't want little kids (unattended) on bikes or tiny scooters on public roads...
That's why.. Most of those little electric toy scooters and tiny bikes even say on them, that they're for use off-road/private property only.

IMHO, This poll is kinda useless. The OP is incorrect in his reading of the statute.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
again.
"The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position"
what" term" are they referring to?
this one. "Florida's Definition of "Bicycle"

so putting that in the sentence reads.
"The term "bicycle" does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position"

if you don't believe it is referring to to the term that is in a statute documenting what is & not the definition of a bicycle, put in what word you think it is. it will not make sense.
first it describes what a bicycle is with 2 wheels & such then says what it isn't. what it isn't is over 25 inches.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
nope. the definition says . "The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position "

i know with all the the negatives they use it is confusing. every time i relook to make sure i'm not incorrect.
i even thought it would be the second time i would say bairdco was correct tonight. lol

so i will use substitution words to clarify.

"The term (bike) does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than (taller)25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position."

so to fix the sentence is
to fit the term of a bike, a vehicle could not have a seat taller than 25 inches when the seat is fully extended.
or
a vehicle that has a seat that is 25 inches or greater when the seat is in the tallest position does not fit the description of a bike.

they need to rewrite it for clarity anyway. why write with 2 different negatives in the same sentence.

i bet if you ask several state reps you would get diferent opinions of what it meant.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
here is the sentence turned into a formula

"The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position"

if
bike=b
seat=s
vehicle=v

b≠v+s>25
or
a=v+s≤25

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
With all due respect Deco you are still arse backwards in your interpretation of this seat height thing. I have found that when attempting to understand a law or rule that is confusing or "gray" one must first attempt to determine the intent such as SANGESF had done in his previous post. While determining intent you might also ask yourself why the person who wrote the law would want to limit the seat height to 25 inches or less in defining a Bicycle?

Here are a few different ways to look at it.

The term "Bicycle" does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches (same as 25" or less) from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position. No more than 25" would be the same as 25" or less wouldn't you agree?

Then let's take a vehicle with it's seat post fully extended and a seat height of 24 and 7/8 inches (which is no more than 25") from the ground therefore the term "Bicycle" does not include this vehicle, don't you agree?

And finally let's try replacing the key phrases with their opposites to define what the term Bicycle does include as opposed to what the term does not include. Simply change does not include to does include. And change no more than 25 inches to more than 25".

The term "Bicycle" does include such a vehicle with a seat height of more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. ~Barnfresh

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i might be conceding my error in interpretation.
first i ill ask my father who is good @ reading legalese.
i will either have an apology or more interpretation after midnight tonight.
stay tuned & thank you to everyone that has contributed so far.