Power transmission ??s will this work?

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Hi I am thinking about mounting this little 4 stroke on the rear of my bike.. might be able to use the existing rack..??...I have a small sprocket on the 1/2" shaft there is a small centrifugal clutch I have a 9 and a 10 tooth small sprocket. If I just run a chain from the small eng sprocket to the rear wheel sprocket, will this work.. or do I need jackshafts?.. (not familiar with those)....I dont expect this little 26cc eng to pull me from a dead stop, but by pedalling till I got some speed then the clutch would engage.. My question is; is the ratio gonna work?... it is like the usual "China girl" sprocket ratios... any advice?

Thanks..

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The amout of gear reduction necessary is in the 18.5:1 to 22:1 range. so assuming there isn't any reduction built into the output housing shown, you would need a rear driver sprocket of 180t to 200t ? I don't know of any sprockets of this size readily available. You will probably need some form of primary reduction either a gear box or a jackshaft system or both?

ocscully

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
My intention is to use a 44 tooth rear wheel sprocket and a 9 or 10 tooth sprocket on the engine. This is similar if not the same (in ratio) as the 2 stroke engine kits...

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
The China 2 strokes have a gear reduction built into the engine....................
Doh, Yeah now I get it... the small, and large gear by the clutch.... I'm glad I asked before I started all that work... could someone post the formula for determining sprocket drive train reduction?.....