Michigan: Assembled Vehicle, Moped, or Stealth Mode ??

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
It seems that these are the 3 ways of dealing with the legality of your motorbike in Michigan.

a) you can get an Assembled Vehicle title, which could apparently go into some weird areas of law & licensing
b) you can go ahead & call it a moped, which I think might limit your top speed to 25 mph
c) you could just not get caught riding

I've seen people on the boards talking about all three. What do you think? What are the pros & cons of going with the moped title vs the assembled vehicle title? I'm kind of assuming the assembled vehicle title will give you more freedom (for speed upgrades, etc.), but I don't know....

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I think your list descends from best to worst.

I wish I could do the first one, but for us, I think it's a tough go.

The second one is possible, but getting clocked at higher than 25 (20 for me in ohio, ughhh) is a possible problem.

But It is probably no more a problem than getting caught at all, which is why I would go with number two. I am going to see if I can get mine registered.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I'm kind of in a spot with this. I ordered the 49cc motor, but they sent me the 80 (66)cc. Cool, I saved a few bucks & got a bigger motor, but since it's over 49cc I probably can't get it registered as a moped. Now I'm wondering if they'll accept it as an assembled vehicle or if they'll try calling it a motorcycle.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I'm kind of in a spot with this. I ordered the 49cc motor, but they sent me the 80 (66)cc. Cool, I saved a few bucks & got a bigger motor, but since it's over 49cc I probably can't get it registered as a moped. Now I'm wondering if they'll accept it as an assembled vehicle or if they'll try calling it a motorcycle.
Does it say 80cc on the motor? Get yourself a nice sticker made up that says 49cc.What area of detroit are you in?

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
well, it came with a sticker that identifies it as an 80/66, but I hadn't planned on putting it on. I honestly don't know which one they sent, now that I think of it. The sticker is the only thing I have to base it on. When I was ordering it I wondered if they would send the right one, since they use the same ad for both motors.

The law says a moped can't have a top speed exceeding 30 mph, & it can't have more than 2 horsepower. If the marketing materials are correct, this motor can go up to 45 mph & has 2.75 hp. I doubt they'll test the displacement, but will they test the hp? And if they declare it a moped, will I be limited to riding at 30 mph?

I'm on the eastern edge. Not quite in the city but you can see the "Warning: Entering Detroit" sign from our street. What about yourself? Which method do you ride with?

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I'm over by Selfridge Air base.I use the wave to the Police method of riding.I have been ridding out here for 9 yrs and never had a problem.I wear a helmet and ride with my day time high powered led head and tail lights on.I belive that 66cc is 80cc with the 2 strokes.Just get a sticker made at Gibralter Trade Center that says 49cc and 1 1/2hp stick it on and do what you have to to be legal.I think you need turn signals etc.Let us know how it goes.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I hear ya...I'll definitely be visible & wearing a helmet. I've already been hit by a car once while riding a bike. And a wave is all I can afford to give to the police....giving 'em fingers can get pretty expensive.

From what I understand, the ones they call 80cc motors are actually 66cc. I'm not really sure. I'll have to read up on it. It's one of the Chinese 2 strokes from BoyGoFast.

I'm leaning toward registering it with the bigger motor. Nobody else seems to have tried it yet in Michigan, so I'm interested to see how they'll handle it. Seems like the worst they'll do is make me get a license plate & insurance. (crossing my fingers against the insurance part....) usflg