My new frame

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I posted this in the what did you do to your bike today thread but since some folks dont haunt that thread as much as they used to I wanted to post it here so I could get some more specialized feed back..

The frame is from:
BicycleDesigner.com sells custom bicycles, bike parts, lowrider bikes, cruiser bicycles, chopper bicycles, and trike parts.

I posted the huge images to get a better look at the quality. Over all it is a decent frame but there is no tubed back bone or down tube per say it uses the stamped steel tank and front gusset in place of them. It looks like an easy frame to mod though for a gas engine and have an on board tank...

The Suzuki K10 forks fit like a glove but there will have to be some minor mods done before I am happy. I just cant wait to get the 1965 17x2.25" K10 front hub, rim and drum brake for it (suppose to be here on Saturday) and see how it sits with a 26" CBE-110 rear hub and rim...

Questions and suggestions will be appreciated for this one... I am still debating if I want to make it a 2 or 4 cycle...

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Mark, sweet frame for motorizing!

Stretch Cruiser, Chopper Builders lets have an un-official vote or maybe you ( Mark ), will sanction ( To assent, concur, confirm, approve, or ratify. ), this voting for a 2-stroke or 4-stroke powerplant for this build!

Let the voting begin, I say!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's a awesome looking frame!!!
I think you might be able to get away without cutting & welding in dams.
Just figure out what filler you will use & after you drill the hole for it, you will be able to see inside, & maybe it will be easy enough to seal without the dams?? ;)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That frame will make a sweet tank. I concur with Venice it will prolly be possible with no welding. Gonna be a nice ride!dnut

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
That's a awesome looking frame!!!
I think you might be able to get away without cutting & welding in dams.
Just figure out what filler you will use & after you drill the hole for it, you will be able to see inside, & maybe it will be easy enough to seal without the dams?? ;)
Venice I think it is open into the front where the down tube would normally be and it will have do darn sure have a dam there but it would be near impossible to do without splitting it on another axis.

My thought is to make the dams at both junctions out of something like 3/8" to allow a running pas to loin the pieces of the tank together and then a small fill pass to smooth it out. The thing I dont want is for it to separate and I am a real tweek for strengthening things...

I have decided to use a HF 79cc Greyhound for the build and one of the AGK jackshift kits and clutches over a china for this build.

I love the K1o forks and am dying to see how it sits with the original 17" wheel on the front....

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Mark, sweet frame for motorizing!

Stretch Cruiser, Chopper Builders lets have an un-official vote or maybe you ( Mark ), will sanction ( To assent, concur, confirm, approve, or ratify. ), this voting for a 2-stroke or 4-stroke powerplant for this build!

Let the voting begin, I say!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.
Horse thanks for the kudos but it is a buy it bolt up frame but lets see where I can take it LOL...

Me has said it will be a 4 smoker.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Venice I think it is open into the front where the down tube would normally be and it will have do darn sure have a dam there but it would be near impossible to do without splitting it on another axis.
My point is when you drill the hole & look inside, you'll know for sure.

On most every bike that I've done the 'in frame' tanks on, there is only a very fine open 'seam' where the down tube meets the steerer tube... (& thats easy to seal!) ;)

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Thanks Venice and I will be doing exploratory surgery tomorrow to see what is what and where is where with this frame... One good thing is that I do have a USB fiber optic mini cam that was great for top end inspection when I was still wrenchin seriously that I haven't got to use for a while and don't have to be really destructive (darn it).... SCALPEL PLEASE NURSE..

Good point though we will see what we will see.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I agree with Norm, drill the hole first and see what you have. I have never sealed up a tank like that but Norm has. Cutting and welding in dams would be a lot of work. Cool looking frame!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
OK I havent updated this thread in a while have been really busy with other stuff.

I got my inspection cam out and for some reason it is not working so I have a call into Snap On about getting it repaired so I have not got a firm plan for modding the tank yet.

I finally got the original 1965 Suzuki front rim and tire in today so I took a break from the real world and mounted it up on the K10 forks. Unfortunately the axle bolt is 3/4" short from extending past the forks but the supplier of the wheel is sending me the proper one. It is actually a 17x2.50 tire and I like the looks of it with the 26" rear rim and there is plenty of room for chain clearance to run at least a 2.50" or maybe even bigger rear tire.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is the amount of S T R E T C H!!! Gads is that thing long...

Oh images are 800x600 click to see larger view.

More to come...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Yea I could lace that up but right now I'm kinda liking the 26 rear... I will prolly change my mind a thousand times before I am done though. The front hub is 36 spoke so I could lace it up and match the rims and tires also.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Mark, please give us an update on your build!

Your build looks AWESOME and has very Intimidating / Powerful look to it !!!

C.H.