High & Low Beam Headlights

GoldenMotor.com

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
As I like to ride early in the morning before dawn, to avoid the heavy traffic where I live, I’ve added a complete lighting system to my bike. The tail light, brake light and turn signals were of little problem but the headlight posed some issues. I started with a 5AH AGM and a 20W MR16 spot bulb that I felt was inadequate for the speeds I ride. I upgraded to a 35W driving light using the H3 halogen lamp, while better I still wanted more light. I added an additional 7AH AGM and went to a 55W H3 bulb and that did the trick. Problem was that the 55W was a battery hog, using 40% battery capacity as a lowest point, the system gave me about 84 minutes of ride time with the headlight on. On my usual Sunday morning run, I would run the headlight about 30 minutes and 30 minutes with just the parking lights and that would pull the battery down to 70%. I wanted a more efficient system.

I looked into LED’s but found the lumen output to be only a little over ½ the output of the halogen even though the bulbs were stated to be “equivalent”. Yesterday while puttering around the house, it suddenly occurred to me that I had almost everything I needed to add a second driving light and run a high and low beam. The upper light (low beam) uses a 35W and the lower light (high beam) uses a 55W bulb. I added a SPDT switch to my control box as a dimmer switch. I headed out at 5am this morning and only used my high beam for a few minutes as the road was well lit. When I got to the normally darkest part of my route, dawn was breaking so I stayed with the low beam and just ran the parking lights back home. I checked the battery and found it was at 90% full charge. Running the system with only the 35W, when possible, should yield about 123 minutes of run time. Not bad for an afternoons work.

Attachments

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Very nice setup. I made a similar one but both lights are 55w driving lights. Like you said it drains the battery pretty quickly.
With two 55W lights you should be well lit. It's like everything else in life, there is a cost to bear but as long as you know the limitations and can operate inside them, you'll be fine. Not being able to see however, isn't an option because asphalt and skin don't mix well. I love riding in the dark, it's exciting but my wife thinks I've lost my mind.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Have you looked at this thread I posted? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30841

These LED lights are 400 Lumen for 1 daytime running light. They come 2 per set. The output is flat and wide and according to what they told me will light up both lanes of a highway. I plane on trying them soon. One will be pointed down a little for closer light while the other, mounted on top, will be pointed higher up to reach out further.

Terry

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Have you looked at this thread I posted? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30841
These LED lights are 400 Lumen for 1 daytime running light. They come 2 per set. The output is flat and wide and according to what they told me will light up both lanes of a highway. I plane on trying them soon. One will be pointed down a little for closer light while the other, mounted on top, will be pointed higher up to reach out further.

Terry
I looked at those but my 55W, as I recall is 1520 lumen and the 35W is 820. I've seen higher lumen output halogen bulbs but they're a little pricey and may trade output for a shorter life.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Right now I'm using a 55 watt off road light. It works very well! But its a PITA to recharge the battery. That is why I'm going to switch to LED's.

Terry