Setup handlebar controls with GT5 & shifter

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When this thread was started I was just getting ready to start a build with a lot of controls, and it made me think about what I would do.

This is how I managed 2 brake levers, a clutch lever, throttle, and front and rear derailers on one set of handlebars. Looks kind of busy, but it gets the job done nicely. On the throttle side I have the throttle, rear brake, and rear derailer. On the left side (right in this pic) there's a front derailer, rear brake, and clutch handle.

You can see it a little better in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWf2XMsfV8

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hey bikenut, just something to consider on your next build...
Unless you absolutely MUST be able to change front derailleur gears when riding you can try this:
Just put the chain on the front sprocket you want and pull off the front derailleur and it's control.
Put the rear derailleur control and clutch on the left side.
Put a dual pull brake lever and the throttle on the right.

In this case I used a CNS carb choke lever for the rear derailleur as well because the one on the bike was built into a lever as well, but most turn controls will work on the left just dandy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey bikenut, just something to consider on your next build...
Unless you absolutely MUST be able to change front derailleur gears when riding you can try this:
Just put the chain on the front sprocket you want and pull off the front derailleur and it's control.
Put the rear derailleur control and clutch on the left side.
Put a dual pull brake lever and the throttle on the right.

In this case I used a CNS carb choke lever for the rear derailleur as well because the one on the bike was built into a lever as well, but most turn controls will work on the left just dandy.
I did consider doing that, but for this build I decided to keep everything. I've never really liked linked brakes. I hardly ever use the front derailer, but I like having it for some reason.