1st build what i have and what i want to do

GoldenMotor.com

JoeCycler

May 11, 2011
Dallas, Tx
i have a Mongoose xr 200 if that helps anyone out..front disc brakes 21 speed..idk if i have the right weed wacker motor but its the 1 i have so maybe i can make it work. everyone talks about clutch but idk how to tell if my motor has one...

what i am looking for is a detailed (preferably with pics) how to connect the motor to the bike with a bracket over rear wheel.. ...i have an old mongoose axle idk how that will help with the build but some reason i think it will..

what i plan on doing? is making a shaft out of the old axle that connects to the motor that way the small sprocket is already ready and connected and welding the big sprocket to the other side of the axle as the 7 other sprockets..thus keeping the 21 speed still fully functional if i do not use the motor.

questions i have:
if anyone can refer me to a thread thats already posted or help to answer it would be greatly appreciated

1. how to tell if my motor has clutch? and if it doesn't have one how to make or build/create one

2. how to keep the 21 speed fully functional when motor is not in use without the friction of the motor example if i run out of gas.

3.should i try to take the old axle apart and just use the sproket/bearing or just make a shaft out of the whole axle..i know there is a reason for all the free spinning parts.. somehow i think it has to do with keeping the 21 speed functional. but i need all the details..

keep in mind that i do not have the money to buy a kit.. otherwise i would just get it and install myself.. but what i do have is several spare bicycles so sprockets chain shocks etc are no problem and weld/machining metal brackets are no issue either...

so can anyone give a few pointer help me engineer this thing??

JoeCycler

May 11, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Also i saw a few vids on youtube where there was no pull start..it was like popping a clutch on a manual trans of a car.. is this true can thiss happen??where i pedal a bit..let out the clutch and it starts the motor?

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Most weed whackers have a centrifugal clutch, the popping the clutch you saw on vid is more like a m/c clutch 2 diff animals.