Where do I start powering my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Toolbox

Mar 29, 2011
Kentucky
Ok from the thread title I think its obvious that I am new to this forum. I am a college student who lives fairly close to school as well as close to my new job. I have been driving my f-150 or my Jeep back and forth which I enjoy but with gas prices rising I have been looking into something different to save some $$$. I have a diamond back mountain bike back at home just sitting in my parents garage. It is a full suspension bike as well. I just need some information as where to start. I have done some research and found companies such as golden eagle that make the kits but I can't afford to shell out $600 right now. I am mechanically inclined and have the ability to fabricate mounts and such. I would prefer to simply buy a kit and install it if I could find something cheaper.

I think I want to go with the engine being mounted over the rear tire and doing either a belt or chain drive. Is there anybody that sells the kits cheaper than golden eagle that meet my specifications? Sorry to be vague I am just clueless as to how to go about this thank you.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I would just get a cheap in frame chinese kit, check most any of the vendors on this site for current prices, but I am guessing you'll need to spend about $150 on a kit. I doubt that an in frame will go nicely into a full suspension bike, so I would just pick up a used 26 inch off of craigslist. Usually about $25. or even offer a trade on CL your bike for one with out suspension. That in my estimation would be one of the most cost effective routes.

You could find an old chainsaw, procure a clutch of some sort, rig up a mount and all that, but you'll spend lot more time, and you will nickel and dime the build, and before you know it the 200 you could have spent on a kit is somehow invested in a scary looking chainsaw bike.

Just my thoughts.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A chainsaw engine mounted up with a few bits of plywood, a heavy door hinge and run the clutch drum right on the rear tire. You could lash one up in under two hours if you have minor wood working skills...

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
A chainsaw engine mounted up with a few bits of plywood, a heavy door hinge and run the clutch drum right on the rear tire. You could lash one up in under two hours if you have minor wood working skills...
That actually sounds like build for my kids bike, I will have to try it.

Toolbox

Mar 29, 2011
Kentucky
Ok after looking around I found some of the cheaper chinese kits that you mentioned. Found some here Kings Motor Bikes,Motorized Bicycle,Bicycle Engine Kit,Bicycle motors,bicycle engine kit parts between $124 to $150 that would be doable for my budget. Also I would consider picking up a different bike without rear suspension on craigslist cheap. The 66/80cc engines, whats the difference between the silver slant, the Jet, and the skyhawk engines? I assume the skyhawk are higher quality?

What kind of speeds and acceleration can I expect to see out of a bike equipped with say the 66/80cc skyhawk engine? I wiegh about 140 lbs. If I am going to put the money and time into something like this I just want to know what to expect.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The difference in the engines is probably just the paint on them, but also some of the kit components may be upgraded in the more expensive packages. At 140 you should scoot around just fine on a stock install. I weigh in at 300 and get around town just fine, only one hill needed pedal assist, but it was a steep grade. There have been reports of 30 mph plus on this site, but 20 to 25 is a realistic expectation with a stock kit. I max out around 25MPH but I rarely open it up that much, a bike can be scary at those speeds. Acceleration is great, sprint pedaling to get your bike into the powerband than hit the throttle.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have heard nothing but good things about thatsdax, and he may have a reasonable rack mount that may work with the rear suspension.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I think a good choice for you be THATSDAX new TitanGT50R combined with their friction drive unit.
You could use your full suspension bike, which will save you a bunch of money.
Friction drive units are simple and far more reliable than the chinese in -frame kits.
His new motor is light, powerful and really screams.

I have both. The in-frame china kit, and a friction drive.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

The main draw back with the in frame kit is the amount of fiddling, tweaking, tuning, replacing cheap crappy components which ultimately drive up the cost
quickly getting things to a point where it is reliable enough to depend on day in day out.

The friction drives are far less of a maintenance chore.
You can also take it off and swap it from bike to bike with far less customizing to "make it fit"

Check out thatsdax>>>>>>>>>>
bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

tIm

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
To be perfectly honest with you Toolbox, I am a college student too, and i would NOT want to have my bike at school with me. It is a TOTAL pain in the butt to maintain a chinese in frame kit. Also, am I the only one who noticed you said full suspension? if that is the case an in frame kit would not work anyway. Trust me when I tell you this. For the money and agony you will go through to get your bike working well you will probably be somewhere in the high $200's when you're finished. Now, if you get this motorized bicycle kit gas engine front friction 49cc FF | eBay you will have a pretty darn reliable setup that WILL install in under 4 hours (those claims on the websites for the other kits are bs) and will probably last you a long time. I warn you that this engine only goes about 20mph on a 26" bike, but that's really all you need. Just consider it :) all you need to do is carry an extra fuel bottle just in case you run out. It would help if you had a pic of the kind of bike you wanna use! Peace
-LS

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
To be perfectly honest with you Toolbox, I am a college student too, and i would NOT want to have my bike at school with me. It is a TOTAL pain in the butt to maintain a chinese in frame kit. Also, am I the only one who noticed you said full suspension? if that is the case an in frame kit would not work anyway. Trust me when I tell you this. For the money and agony you will go through to get your bike working well you will probably be somewhere in the high $200's when you're finished. Now, if you get this motorized bicycle kit gas engine front friction 49cc FF | eBay you will have a pretty darn reliable setup that WILL install in under 4 hours (those claims on the websites for the other kits are bs) and will probably last you a long time. I warn you that this engine only goes about 20mph on a 26" bike, but that's really all you need. Just consider it :) all you need to do is carry an extra fuel bottle just in case you run out. It would help if you had a pic of the kind of bike you wanna use! Peace
-LS
it has no warranty and no returns if you buy it and it's a dud you're on your own. as well as not being a common motor set up making parts limited availability.

i'd avoid it. Bumble Bee Bolt On Bicycle Engine kits, Friction Drive Motorized bicycle Kits which fits the majority of bike frames i think deacon got one of these used on ebay (could have been someone else though) but i'd consider this long before the bgf no warranty at all kit.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Great find Matt! That looks like a great option! Yeah, I realized after reading more closely that there is in fact no warranty. The hongdu solex engine has been used by members before with much success, but I would go with the friction drive Matt found. It looks a lot like the Tanaka bikebug back in the day... :)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Great find Matt! That looks like a great option! Yeah, I realized after reading more closely that there is in fact no warranty. The hongdu solex engine has been used by members before with much success, but I would go with the friction drive Matt found. It looks a lot like the Tanaka bikebug back in the day... :)
and even better its supposedly made in america. whether thats totally true or its just assembled here with foreign parts i'm not sure, but the quality shouldn't be bad and its good for the economy if we produce things to sell to other places.

i still think a kit from thatsdax is a good idea but since you brought up a front wheel friction drive i figured i'd post an alternative :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I REALLY like the look of his system I read the entire website and it looks like it is only assembled in America. I want a rear drive for my 61 schwinn since it would be low impact :)

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My buddy has a rack mount friction and the one thing I dislike about it is the transition from pedaling to motoring. It might have just been his set up, but it seemed you had to either be motoring or pedaling. I am sure some rack mounts with a clutch set up have the same ease of transition from pedaling to motor and back again as the in frame. But some kits are more about making a motorcycle with pedals, then pedal assist. Pedal assist is more versatile, and more fun.

Toolbox

Mar 29, 2011
Kentucky
I looked at thatsdax but according to his website he seems to be out if stick on just about everything including the rear mounts and the friction drives. Couple of questions about friction drives though. Will they work on mountain bikes with knobby tires? When you come to a stop is there a clutch to disengage the engine or does it just stall? Upon light research I found that with friction drive you go through tires often. Is this true?

If an in frame would be better then I have no problem buying a cheap $25 craigslist bike for now. My bike is at my parents house and I just started a job that has me working to often ATM to even be able to go home anyway.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
If you want a good, reliable, affordable friction drive, go with the bumblebeebolton, or a kit from staton. Bumblebee uses a suicide lever to engage and disengage the engine while the staton uses a centrifugal clutch. If I were you, I'd put my money in a staton inc friction drive. you WILL need to change to cruiser tires, but once you do that, you will not eat through them quickly if you install the engine right :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While I've had one & even still do - I don't log the miles nor have the experience to recommend for or against any specific friction drive or their various particulars... but ifn yer after a knobby tire w/a friction drive, I would suggest something like this;

Kenda 26x1.95, (50-559), Kross Plus, Black, Skin, 65Psi, Tire | BikepartsUSA

While not a very good pic, it's a great combo of a smooth center band for less rolling resistance & reduced tire wear, defo handy for motorized mountain bikes ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just another way to go cheap, reliable and new, I built this bike from Toys-R-Us for $119 and this engine kit from bike-engines.com for $137 shipped. The bike built by me as you see it pictured for under $300 all new. Pretty hard to beat that and it's decent quality and proven.

Have fun and good luck on whatever you end up building. Click on thumbnail.....

Last edited: