Motor wont start

GoldenMotor.com

Grizz

Mar 17, 2011
California
So I've had the bike for about a year now. I only started riding it a few months ago (California; the cops think they're against the law; too afraid to ride it, got over it). In that time, I've spent many many hours fixing it. It's a fun experience for the most part. However, after a somewhat lengthy ride (~4mi), I began having issues. About a mile from home, it was making a very nasty metal-on-metal grinding. I pulled to the side of the road and I could tell it was overheating quite badly (could feel it about 6" away). I'm guessing it was around 230 degrees Fahrenheit. I sat there for about five minutes and then continued. About thirty seconds later, it started again. I decided to ride it the rest of the way home on quarter throttle. I stopped at a stop sign and it wouldn't start again.

Even if I'm going a decent pace and engage the motor, it just skids to a stop like pulling the brakes really hard. No noise from the engine. My guess is I screwed up the gas. It's the second gallon of gas and I thought I had mixed it with the 2 stroke engine oil, but I looked and I hadn't. I had been running almpost an entire gallon of gas without any oil in it. It was working just fine before, but not it won't do anything. I checked the electrical, everything is connected. Checked for excess carbon on the spark plug but there's none.

I noticed a rather sizable buildup of blue stuff (the 2 stroke engine oil). It was wet but not dripping. I popped open the top of the cylinder and it was at the very top of the motor, I don't know much about engines so I don't know if it's supposed to be that high.

I read another post which said to disassemble the carb but I really am not a motor guy, it was a bit over my head. If I had like a video guide or something, I'd probably be able to do it, but I really don't want to because I know it's going to involve a lot of swearing. I also really can't spend very much getting it fixed.

Thanks for any help I can get!

http://i54.tinypic.com/vslzwl.jpg

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You now have a small boat anchor where you used to have a small engine. Running a 2 stroke with out oil mixed in with the gas will ruin it.
I would not even attempt to try to repair it. A replacement engine will be your best bet.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I guess you can try. If in fact you ran it that long with no oil in the fuel all rotating parts will be damaged the piston,rings, and cylinder will also be damaged, probably pretty badly, so if you do get it running it won't have any power. The seals will also be damaged and leak. For around $40.00 to $80.00 you can get a replacement engine. Parts to make your engine run again will cost more than a replacement.
You said you don't know much about engines so there is a strike against you for trying to repair it properly. But you can learn a lot from taking it apart. When you run into a snag ask for help on the forum.
You need to get some books at the library on simple 2 stroke engines to help you understand how to work on small engines. You could then give your engine a try at a proper tear down. You could also read some of the older posts on this forum on taking the engine apart.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You can find some info on some of my sticky's on engine tear down. You will need to purchase some tools metric end wrenches and sockets if you don't have tools.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i would get a new motor if i was you. i know its not what you want to here, but your motor is trashed. :( i dont know how bad it is, but it dont sound good for a cheep rebuild. if your bearings and seals are ok. and all you need is a new top end. it may not be that much..

i have almost a whole motor worth of parts. so if you need a used top end for cheep. i may be able to help you. but you could have done to much damage for a easy fix. if you can, get some pics up when you start your tear down. it will be easy for people to help you out more.. good luck:)

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thats your best bet. are you buying a whole kit, or just a motor??

its more for a kit, but not really much more. and the spare parts are nice to have on hand. i have had alot of the stock stuff like cables break and was glad to have the parts on hand. (i got two kits right off the bat)

i have bought a zoombicycles motor and two grubee shyhawks. i have not run my new shyhawk yet. but the other one and the ZB motor both run great.

if you can find a ZB motor or kit. id go with that:) but there are alot of brands out there. i think for the most part they are all the same.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yes, if you are looking for a replacement engine, which I think is what you want, they don't come cheaper than this :) motor motorized gas engine REPLACE 68.5cc 80cc slant | eBay Use the oil ratio recommended, it will be better to be safe than sorry. Get a cheap oil from walmart or the grocery store and use that first. Once your engine breaks in, switch to opti-2 and there will NEVER be a problem :) Peace
-LS

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, since your engine seems to be seized, it's time for a new one. In the meantime, you could play around a little and try this:
Take off the cylinder head and lube the piston area where it meets the cylinder with a penetrating lubricant such as PB Blaster, or you can just use some automatic transmission fluid.
Smack the piston with a hammer and a piece of wood between the hammer and piston to try and unseize it.
You might break a ring in the process, you might not.
If you are able to get it unstuck, put it all back together and try it out.
You might have super-lousy performance and power, but it's something to try just for fun.