Chicagoland rally planing

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
With our comunity growing and spring approaching , the time is right to plan a rally . In past experince i've found that 60-90 days pre event is needed to alow people to attend . A weekend or three day is a no brainer as is avoiding national holidays . A day time rally with a rain date is best ( in my opnion). And most folks ask for a planed route around twenty miles ,a morning meet and greet,ride ,then after ride swapmeet/cold one! Anyone who wants to spend a weekend can always attend our club rally in s.wisconsin with us .
There are a number of car/bike shows that are an option . Or just pick a spot and do our own thing.
I am willing to make what arangments i can but your opnion is needed,please chime in thanx jimbusflg

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
love to join the rally car bike show would be cool love to join in if i can help any way let me know first build love to be part of the club

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Joining another event has good and bad points to it , some are static ,were theres a lot of relaxing and sitting around . Others like in my town are "scoops" were the street is closed for event use for a few hours and cars run the loop. On the pos. Side there is always more people exposed to what were doing, and we don't stand out as bad. On the down side it's not much of a ride going in loops around downtown and there are all the little conflicts with event staff, parking,cops,buzzed locals etc. As of last year we wern't allowed in the scooping part without paying assoc. Fee. It's always cool don't get me wrong,when you find a great spot that cars can't access but has the crowd walking by, everyone stops and you'll talk bikes till your blue in the face.
Now myself i love rallys for the group ride ,it's a trip riding with 10-15 guys out on a backroad freaking out cows and stopping for a beer and burger at some little roadside place. I'm sure we could mix the two experiences if we tried. Or do both during the season.
It's all about getting a group together ,riding and fun will follow, and every year it gets bigger and better.

Estaban

Mar 4, 2011
Chicagoland
Count me in.....there are a ton of smaller events in the area...or within 10-20 miles either side of the border......small car shows,cruise nights etc. Just bopping around the back roads you never know what you might find

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Was looking at dates and thinking june 18 with rain date on 25th would be good as any. it's two weeks before the forth and the date is 60% rain free for chicago (per events cal.) all of the car shows and local events are later in the season , i was thinking just do our own thing . Maybe make plans to go too some shows the day of the rally.
As for location ( i'm still open to input) i was thinking the border line area , running north from zion to kenosha along the lake front. But meeting out by the hyway may be easier for people to get to.
I like to ride backroads myself but we'll do sixty milers ,most people wont want anything that long?
I'll be posting follow up ideas shortly ,feel free to join in with ideas.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Not dead set on route ,seems silly to have il. Rally in wis but just need some room to roam? Am open to any ideas. Heres one idea i worked on .
http://db.tt/jEtnHwJ
I think we should try and get some guys together to carpool where ever we decide to meet up, some people don't drive other then mb. Normaly i would open my screen house to any one who wants to camp out here ,but already offered to decatur boys . But they may not attend? This is why we need a month or so to figure out details.
I like backroads but hey i'll ride right down LSD if you want.
There are six dogs and three prospects in right now . Plus guys from forum ,would love to see 15-25 people show.

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
if i can get the bike there all in sounds fun ill split cost of gas out in aurora looks like good route is there a place to hang out grill dirgers or something like that a park would be nice ride chill have fun

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
So hopefully the date works for everyone , the club is having our rally the week before in (or near) darlington WI. Riding the gloryous backoads of jefferson cty. Anybody who wants in can pm me for more info.
Right now it looks like we need to meet someplace were theres legal parking ,picknic fac. ,a trail or backroads to run.
Il. State beach was suggested,as was sterling lake and old school forest pres.
Route aside we need to try and get some carpooling aranged and set a start time , i was thinking about meeting between 9-10 am then ride till lunch and swapmeet after.
Would like to see folks from WI. And IL. To attend so take a look at map ,voice some oppnion here ,and figure who you can ride with or give ride to .
So to sum:
June 18th 10 am - 2pmish at (ytd) local in border region.
Aprox headcount as of today 12

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Heres a quick push to keep everyone updated
Our chicagoland rally date is june 18th with a rain date of the 25th
The plan is to meet at a tbd area along hwy 41 near the IL. WI. Border.
9:45-10:30 meet and greet at parking area
10:30-13:00 aprox 20 mile ride with stop for cold one.
13:00-15:00 brag bbq and swapmeet ( so bring some thing you wana sell)
15:00-?? Opt ride home or whatever .
Please rsvp on this thread if you plan to show up , please make every attempt to carpool and get word out to other riders in area who may not use forum(what ??? Not use forum)
The long term goal is to create a comunity of area riders and plan several rides for the season and as a group to promote the sport and help get the word out.
Any susgestions on the route are still being debated so if you feel strongly about it letts hear your ideas ,just keep in mind were trying to get as many riders as poss. From both states .

Estaban

Mar 4, 2011
Chicagoland
Count me in (will have a bike of some sort finished by thenscratg)........will be heading there from Wauconda....basically at 176 and 12 can park a few cars at my shop and carpool from there if needed

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
I wont know till I get closer to see if I have the cash to drive my damn truck all the way down there and I am right in the planning stages of my rebuild but I really would enjoy getting that way to ride. As best as I can say it... I'm in and I have 2 that would come with.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Just around a month to go till rally ,trying to nail down a place to meet up.
The basic plan was to meet at stearling lake forest pres. And ride east to Il. Beach state park and back ,however it has been mentioned that there may be a charge to park at forest pres. For non county res. So I'll look into it .
This route takes in what country roads are left around here and gives us a place to hang out after the ride .the local car club holds there meets at the state park resort but may not be there untill later in the day.
There is one rail road crossing that requires one to carry there bike across two set of tracks ,so we'll help ferry everyone over. On the return trip we may drift over the border into WI. In order to ride what trail that are open to our bikes.
Hope that sounds good to everyone ,was kinda bumed about all the drop outs that can't show up for various reasons , oh well still gona be cool to meet everyone in person and put a face to a screen name
Please spred the word and hit me with any sugestions or questions thanx

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
Finally got the new bike.... start work this weekend. I hope my motor is still running from after the accident, but if I don't run into any snags I should be up and running well before the ride. I also got a confirm on the 2 that will be coming with me.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Sorry to be slow in posting back to everyone ,I've been up here in WI fixing storm damage and trying to make mortage payment . There may only be eight or ten of us but will still be fun . Please let me know if your not going to show because of transportation issues as I may be able to help with ride or carpool . Starting to get excited only a couple weeks to go...

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
TWO WEEK PUSH...
As an update there is a camping area at state beach and some backyard space if need be . The parking area has a rule against drinking within two hundred feet of back lot line so ,we'll set up bbq in the clear ,if you want to have a cold one please follow the rules (we are there as a group).
The club has run the route recentily and there are two options :
1 go thru town and be on street for duration
2 take route thru more "banditto" sections and some park trail
I am happy to run witch ever the group wants to go with , not intrested in getting in any trouble just doing our thing !
Buttons and I agree that the RR crossing is one of our favorite spots so that stays even if I gota carry every bike myself :)
So bring a cooler (within reason) and some thing to grill up or pass around .
A friend of the club is going to stay onsite during ride and watch our gear and cars .
Please contact me if your not attending because of a trasportation issue and make every attempt to carpool or meet up enroute .
We really want to build up our comunity in the borderland reigon and have a good rally that can become an annual event .
Hope to see you there .flg.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
ONE WEEK PUSH ....
Dont let anything stop you from showing up.... You know you want too!
Please meet up at forest preserve just east of hwy 41 and rt. 173.
Take park road to left (west) and follow to one of two parking areas along this side of park . We will be there well before the ride ,and have people to watch cars or extra gear you may wish to bring. The club will be bbqing after the ride and fell free to bring anything you might wish to swap or sell.
Tell your friends.
Hope to see you there ,pm me with any questions.

Willy P.

Apr 4, 2011
Wausau, WI
Sorry to do it last minute but first i got scared by the rain... then lost my phone... then my parts didnt show to get my bike runnin.... then my truck started on fire.... not a good day sorry man let me know when the next ride will be and hopefully I will have better luck

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I wish to thank all those who were able to ride with us on sat. And thank you who were unable to attend but were curtious to reply to my almost constant pestering...
Altough it took a little to get everyone pointed in the same direction a good time was had by all .this rally was , I feel , the way first time rally's go alot.
There were many more people who expressed an interest then those who were able to attend (5) however word was spread and an annual event had it's first year run without incident.
For those intrested I will be posting the next call for border land riders in a thread intitled nostalgia days ride Zion IL. Shortly ,hope you give it a read.
So thanks again And putt us on your calander for next year the sat before fathers day.
P.s. No photos were taken as we all agreed it was one motley crew ;)

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Willy sorry to hear about all the bad karma floating around up there ,hope things level off soon . If theres any way myself or the club can help out were just an email away, so lett me know . And good luck in court ,waiting to see what happens can drive you nuts right!
We got our fingers crossed for ya...