why to not use a slant head...

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
In my experience dual ignition is without a doubt beneficial, there's a pronounced difference with "crisper" ignition, far less fouling as well as a perceivable power gain. Generally speaking, the smaller the displacement - the more such effects are noticeable as it's a matter of scale.

Most small prop planes have dual ignition, while they're usually true redundant systems with dual mags as well (which ofc changes things a touch) as you can switch from one to the other or both - it's very obvious the difference between a single & duals, it'll pick up a coupla hundred RPMs at the least (it's under load too, even at idle as there's no "clutch" in a plane heh).

Granted - with dual mags, there's more power to the system - but I've also had a Mazda pickup w/dual but a single coil as well as my ultralight, which had a Rotax two stroke. When I got it the engine was "stock" in that it had single plugs - I shortly swapped out the head for duals. Unfortunately I couldn't convert it to a true redundant system complete with dual mags - nevertheless there was a very similar gain as I experienced with the far larger Cessna, I attributed this to the difference in scale, an alteration tends to have a larger impact the smaller the motor *shrug*

Do I think it's worth the fuss & bother w/our bikes? ... I guess that's up to you. I've not bothered w/mine as I don't really see a need for it, ya won't crash into the treeline on takeoff if ya foul a plug and the power gain is there - but not enough for me to rework a head to get it.

If they were a readily available aftermarket upgrade? Heck yea - I'd get one fer each of my rides lol

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I have noticed that the straight head revs more but has less bottom and opposite with a slant. my motor runs exactly the same with a stock head and with the ashtray head

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I bought one of those custom CDI's (with spark advance) & a CR80 coil from one of the members here; (jaguar)
I've only had time to take it around the block a couple of times, so I can't give it a real evaluation yet; but it does seem smoother so far. :)

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
rotfl, I didn't think about that. But you did it because of space right? not performance. Basically on engines this low quality it isn't harmful, but it isn't helpful either, it just does nothing.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
rotfl, I didn't think about that. But you did it because of space right? not performance. Basically on engines this low quality it isn't harmful, but it isn't helpful either, it just does nothing.
na i got it for performance but i knew going into it that it most likely wouldn't make a difference.when things sound to good to be true they are 99.99% of the time. I haven't tried it but just by com pairing the heads side by side the combustion chamber on stock head appears smaller = better compression

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That ignition looks nice Venice. Been waiting to see some one to try it out and report. Do let us know what you think of it! I like the idea of a hotter spark and the built in timing adjusting concept at different RPM's. While I must admit I am not to familiar with the guts of the electronic part. Sounds like a nice upgrade.:)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah I'm gonna try his CDI soon, I'll just ignore that comment about the JB weld culvercityclassics :D To answer taco's question it costs $40 plus shipping for the CDI and then around $20 or $25 for a coil. Hope that helps :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
It's about a more powerful spark more than anything, that way you don't missfire as often at high rpm

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I mean I guess that I can only assume the cheap chinese CDI's are not hitting a spark at every revolution. I can only guess a better CDI would give better spark. I don't know that I'm getting missfires, just a thought

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never had a misfire on any of my bikes with the stock set-up.

i did have a CDI that seemed to lose power over time, though. after about 8 months the bike was getting harder and harder to start. i re-did all the wiring, new plug and wire, and finally replaced the CDI and it fired right up.

one of these days i'm gonna bust the old one open and see what's going on inside.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
You might have a beast of a time, I thought that the entire inside was potted in resin. Still, I'd like to see what you find :)