A call to Ban motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Call to ban motorised bikes
Peter Caton | 28th December 2010

A SURGE in the number of motorised pushbikes on the Tweed – some of them tuned-up to do high speeds – has alarmed Tweed Shire Council's local traffic committee which wants state government action.

Several cycle shops on the Tweed have privately admitted concerns about the bikes fitted with petrol-powered or electric motors and say they won't sell them.

The council's traffic committee has drawn up a recommendation asking councillors to write to the NSW ministers for transport and police to amend the definition of a motor vehicle to include any vehicle “powered by a volatile spirit, steam, gas or electricity”.

Council staff say they have observed “a significant increase in the numbers and usage of motorised bicycles throughout the shire”.

They have warned they are creating hazards for both pedestrians and motorists.

Under current laws, pushbikes are allowed to have small motors producing 200 watts or less of power and riders should not exceed 25km.

Read More...Call to ban motorised bikes | Tweed News | Local News in Tweed | Tweed Daily News

gavmiester

Jan 9, 2009
stokers siding Australia NSW
Re: A call to Ban MB's

i live in the tweed this is due to an irresponsible minority few clowns that hang out at a bike shop trying to out do each other instead of just getting from A toB,they know who they are THANX boyz

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

When North Carolina wanted to regulate Mopeds like motorcycles, the argument was that it was discriminatory toward the working poor. Many of the working poor had opted for mopeds as a viable means of transportation. The issue failed to pass but it was close. The economic argument works best I think.

A poor person riding to work on an uninsured but legal moped can do less damage to you and your property than the same poor man driving an old junker car illegally. You can buy a car from Eddie in the hood, don't register it, go to the closest shopping mall with a screwdriver and you have plates. You can get away with an uninsured, improperly registered car for sometime. So who would you rather have run into you. The moped legally operated by the careful driver worried about his own life or the junked out car illegally operated by god only knows who. Neither of them have any insurance. The working poor are going to do what they have to do to survive, and so would you. That is the economic argument that works best and it is also reality.

Any cop will tell you that a certain number of cars out there are illegal because the drivers can't afford insurance or the registration fees. Bicycles are fine but you can't go as far on a bike as you can a moped and be able to work when you get there. Do we want to deny a man the chance to make a better life for his family by over regulating his only means of transportable. Everyone wants to own a car and they will legally, if we give them the chance to grow to it.

not that argument doesn't apply to most of us here, but it is the argument that resonates with the public and that's who you need on your side.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

I think that is one reason that SpookyTooth and others try to organize some off road racing events. Not only is it fun, but you get the opportunity legally explore the performance limits of your motorbike.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

I think any type of powered BICYCLE, should be allowed on the roads as long as it's top speed is 25MPH or less as long as you're not riding on the sidewalk...
It's the people who think they're Evil Knivel, that definitely ruin it for the rest of us, not to mention the politicians who want to get the added revenue for their perspective municipalities for owning such vehicles.

In my area, EVERYONE including regular bikes, pedestrians, cars, buses, etc.. have NO CLUE how to use the roads and follow traffic signs/rules correctly.

It seems everyone has this, "I'm the only person out on the roads, and I don't care about anyone else" kind of attitude.

I've seen some of the rules out there for powered bikes and a 200w limit or 15mph speed limit is just rediculous., when the average Joe on a regular bicycle can easily achieve 20mph on a 10spd.

Last edited:

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina

When North Carolina wanted to regulate Mopeds like motorcycles, the argument was that it was discriminatory toward the working poor. Many of the working poor had opted for mopeds as a viable means of transportation. The issue failed to pass but it was close. The economic argument works best I think.

A poor person riding to work on an uninsured but legal moped can do less damage to you and your property than the same poor man driving an old junker car illegally. You can buy a car from Eddie in the hood, don't register it, go to the closest shopping mall with a screwdriver and you have plates. You can get away with an uninsured, improperly registered car for sometime. So who would you rather have run into you. The moped legally operated by the careful driver worried about his own life or the junked out car illegally operated by god only knows who. Neither of them have any insurance. The working poor are going to do what they have to do to survive, and so would you. That is the economic argument that works best and it is also reality.

Any cop will tell you that a certain number of cars out there are illegal because the drivers can't afford insurance or the registration fees. Bicycles are fine but you can't go as far on a bike as you can a moped and be able to work when you get there. Do we want to deny a man the chance to make a better life for his family by over regulating his only means of transportable. Everyone wants to own a car and they will legally, if we give them the chance to grow to it.

not that argument doesn't apply to most of us here, but it is the argument that resonates with the public and that's who you need on your side.
i remember when they tried to pass that. me and many here were glad it didnt:)
alot of careless drivers here.

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia

These idiots shouldn't be riding on the footpaths.It is illegal to ride any bicycle on a NSW footpath if you are over 12 years of age.The speed shouldn't be an issue as a conventional pedal powered bicycles will go faster than a motor assisted bike.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois

The police in my area are willing to overlook the size (cc) and
(hp) of a motorized bicycle, as long as we comply with the no more
than 20mph rule. To stay off the sidewalks with a motorized bicycle,
use a light and taillight after dark, and to use the motorized bicycle
safely. Also not to use the motorized bicycle for, while using a traffic lane
to keep up with traffic. This seems to be pretty fair requirements to me
for using a motorized bicycle in my area.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Trust it to be none other than some lovo d/€?heads from the shire.
If youse could see past the end of your noses ya might just realise u could be stuffin it up for everyone in nsw not just
"the shire" on ya fellas.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Funny isn't it, how a few can look like hundreds to the authorities.

It's been mentioned here that the hot doggers will ruin an area for the rest. This should be a good example of how fast it happens.

Steve.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

The more I think about it the more I see it headed for (hope it doesn't) harsher penalties on ppl with bikes exceeding the requirements and/or they'll lean towards registering all bicycles like in the states. I doubt they'll totally out rule them seems like that would go to the too hard basket. These bikes are in more than nsw everyone has there idiots with abit of luck they will look at this with open eyes..

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Noise complaints about our bikes are a discriminatory joke. Although our motor noise could generally be significantly lowered with a longer muffler, and new dampeners have come on the market,

the noise level on a standard China kit for instance, pales next to the roar of a Harley chopper or other big bike- or large truck for that matter, or a car needing a new muffler..

And is probably even less than a lot of lawn mowers-
swoosh- we are by and gone past a location generally, while a mower circles around for an hour.

I rode past a guy with a leaf blower today, and my 50cc china girl was drowned out even to my own ears for about ten feet on either side of him.

wd8avq53

Jan 4, 2011
Seffner, Florida

seems to me that it starts becoming unsafe when the guy in back thinks he can go faster then the guy in front no matter what kinda vehickle it is.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

If they can make us all look like criminals to the anti-cycling public, they can tax the # out of us and get cheers from the rest of the voting public.

If the legislative bodies of western countries really gave a damn, they'd instigate a law enforcement crackdown on wrong-way riders, and hellions who ride mbs on the sidewalks etc, and car drivers that go A. S. and cut off 2 wheelers for spite. Then the MB and moped would increase as a lifestyle vehicle or transportation device for the working poor or conservationist.

Governments don't give a rats tail about improving the quality of life or empowering the public. They care about money, power, and the carefully crafted illusion of legislating for the public safety to keep voters satiated.

Funny isn't it, how a few can look like hundreds to the authorities.

It's been mentioned here that the hot doggers will ruin an area for the rest. This should be a good example of how fast it happens.

Steve.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

If we could just create as many laws as possible the governing bodies could police us more too. There would be less freedom and more dictator ship.