New member and think about a project

GoldenMotor.com

joka

Dec 1, 2010
RI
Hello all,

I'm from RI and have a Specialized Rockhopper 29er that I bout and rode to work for a couple of years, was trying to sell it but have had no bites so I thought I would try and modify with gas power... lol

Got a Free 1986 Trek 510 that I have modified and fell in luv with... will use for my exercise pedaling (what little I do get)...

Now on to the Rock hopper I use studded tires in the winter and like to freak people out pedaling up the street in the snow... people are not expecting that... can just see the looks with additional power... lol

I was wondering what advise if any could be givin in my initial parts list and or if anyone else has done something with this model bike...

Was liking the Sick Bike Parts jackshaft for the shifting benefits so that would be first on my list and also as I'm a motorhead would like a motor that can be modified performance wise as time goes by and the build progresses...

Thoughts, advise, parts recomendations...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If yer interested in both the SBP shiftkit and engine modifications, then odds are you'll be getting one of the two stroke kits... fun & inexpensive, there's a plethora of mods and aftermarket parts for 'em, yet I've a frame roughly similar to the 2nd one you've shown and I wanted ta give ya a quick heads up - not sayin' it's impossible ofc, but the way the top tube and the down tube are joined in the front & they way the top tube "drops" as it gets closer to the seat post, while it's really strong, it changes the angles within the frame a bit and reduces the amount of room... the problem being if you can indeed fit the engine (and ya prolly can), the angles of the motor mounts may not be the same as the tubes, resulting in a poor fit with the edge of the motor mount "biting" the frame.

Havin' said that, my frame had a bit more of an extreme angle problem than that so you may find it isn't a problem - but if ya do, the rear motor mount spacer block can be modified, it's aluminum and can be easily filed/sanded to change the angle. There's also U bolt front mounts available & those aren't angle dependent (well, sorta but again easy to mod), but they take up a lil more room... and worse case scenario, it'd fit in the above Trek like it was made for it lol

I don't think it's an insurmountable problem, but I thought I outa mention it, welcome to the forum lol :)

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Unsure if a frame-mounted Happy Time engine will fit in there. There are measuring specs on this forum or the other forum. Measure before buying.
You could always run friction drive, GEBE or Staton chain drive on engines from 1.5hp to 4.2hp+. I'm building Project 29er. I have a steel 18" Kona frame and an aluminum 18" Diamondback frame. I'll be using frame-mounted Tanaka 47R 2.8hp engine or 4.2hp GP460 engines. They should be fast and smooth. xct2

I'll be watching your build with interest.