Success in Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

kshomper

Sep 11, 2010
Ohio
First I want to thank the members who posted useful information in this forum and helped me prepare for the visit tbrnoto the Ohio BMV.

I was able to register my motorized bicycle yesterday in Ohio. I tried it at a deputy registrar's office, but they were not familiar with the process, and I had to go to the main BMV office in Columbus. I presented my bill of sale for the motor kit. I also had the bill of sale for the combination break/turn/light/horn unit and rear view mirror as well as the specifications for the motor. I also showed them a picture of the bike. I guess this convinced them the bike was road legal. The lady at the front desk call DTS:confused: and they said to register it as a moped.

I thought I might have trouble with the computer, when the representative started to key in my information. She looked at the list of approved models and asked for a title, I told her I didn't have one as it was a bike with a motor on it (showed her the picture also). So she took the bike's serial number as the VIN and classified it as a home made model (the registration paper shows HMDE under the Model).

So I got my plates and my 14 year old son who got his permit two weeks ago can now ride legal and pass his skills test on his motorized bicycle.

So with a little work and preparation it's possible to ride legal in Ohio.

motorbicyclnut

Sep 26, 2010
Dallas
Congratulations, but I don't think a motor assisted bicycle should have to be classified as a moped. One step down would be nicer. Between bicycle, and moped. At least it can be done, that's the main thing.

How much are they charging for registration?

kshomper

Sep 11, 2010
Ohio
Registration was about $24. It was worth it. The second day he was out, he went to the library in town and a policeman noticed his bike and took a look at it. After satisfying himself the bike was road worthy, he complimented my son on the bike and told him to enjoy.