Help in Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

1austin112

Aug 18, 2010
toledo ohio
I am planning on buying a 48-cc motor bike kit but ive seen some posts that say they are illegal. I live in toledo/northwood ohio and need to find out if im riding at a normal speed like 20 mph if a cop will stop me and give me a ticket or anything.

stingray'04rider

Jul 3, 2010
garland, texas
well, i live in TX, so i can't be too much help. But, i know that most states allow up to 49.9cc engines on something like a bicycle. You can't go onto roads that you can't match people's speeds (i.e., the freeway). So these are good for around-the-town,to-and-from school/work. If you go electric, you are legally IN THE CLEAR, no cop can ticket you unless you're speeding (it'll be funny one day even if you do, because you can tell all your friends about how you got ticketed speeding on a bicycle). If you stay gas though, anything too powerful like 250cc, a cop may ticket you. most don't care and as long as it looks like a bike with a weak engine, they're ok. don't risk it, go with a 48 cc and call your local DOT to see if it has to be registered as a moped. but registering means you need a license, plates, insurance, so you lose the whole point of doing it. around here though, cops don't want people too slow around here. if you end up not being able to go fast enough, then they might pull you over. if you can go fast, they're happy.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
I really feel for you,, like Austin I live in Ohio also southwest Cincinnati to be exact I just picked up the motor vehicle law book . Not only do you need to have a registered license only if it is less that 50cc, there is a inspection , you would be required to have a horn, & headlight & tail light & brake light well,, let me see if i can post this attachment,,,well i tried three times , the file is too large to upload from my computer. But there are special laws in the BMV book page 26 & 27, Hope this helps take a good look before you get popped with many fines . Over & out Dirtyoldcrusier

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
“Motorized bicycle” means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

Technically, this would make our bikes illegal, since they are more than one hp and can go faster than 20 mph.

Also, the state patrol is very unclear as to the law and if you don't want a ticket or hassle, good luck. I have been riding about four years with no problem, until one rookie state boy figured he had it out for me....but I still haven't gotten a ticket, just told to take it home and not ride it any more.

So, the bottom line in Ahia is if you want to ride, do it at your own risk. The farther out in the boonies you live the better.

kshomper

Sep 11, 2010
Ohio
I was able to register my motorized bicycle yesterday in Ohio. I had to go to the main BMV office, and present my bill of sale for the motor kit. I also had the bill of sale for the combination break/turn/light/horn unit and rear view mirror as well as the specifications for the motor. I also showed them a picture of the bike. I guess this convinced them the bike was road legal. The lady at the front desk call DTS:confused: and they said register it as a moped.

I thought I might have trouble with the computer, when the representative started to key in my information, and looked at the list of approved models. She asked for a title, I told her I didn't have one as it was a bike with a motor on it (showed her the picture also). So she took the bike's serial number as the VIN and classified it as a home made model (the registration paper shows HMDE under the Model).

So I got my plates and my 14 year old son who got his permit two weeks ago can now ride legal and pass his skills test on his motorbicycle.

So with a little work and preparation it's possible to ride legal in Ohio.