Well..I got pulled over

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Rocken

Great Thought.

It Almost Sounds Like A Recumbent Mite Work, Or A Trike With A Boat "captains Chair" .

If A Person Is Disabled Enough To Qualify, That Would Limit It To 3 Wheels
More Than Likely.

I Am So Surprised That Canada Is So Strict. I Always Think Of It As The Last Frontier Of Sort! Fished And Hunted In Ontario Several Times, Longlac, Upsala-engilsh River-ignace And Dryden Ontario. I Treasure The Memories!!

Mab`ers Are Lucky In Fl And My Home State Of Wi.

Hoping Rider Has A Good Day In Court!!

Ron .cvlt1

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rockenstein, if you could get a crip card {unfortunately I qualified for one} you would be ace. What a great idea. Can't think of a cop who would stop you unless you really messed up. Those cards are golden.

We have some old buzzards who can qualify for the scooter 500 in our area. Saw one guy come up behind some old dear who didn't get out of the way fast enough and gave her the horn. She spun around and gave him a whack with her cane that nearly drove him out of his seat and then cussed him out like you never heard. The only thing that she didn't call him was a nice guy. The whole mall cheered.

Bet you could get a nice little motor in one of those scooters. Have to see where they sell them and take a look. It takes 3 lead acid batteries and if they are the normal size, not ebike batteries there should be lots of room.

The quest continues.

Steve.

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Well they came , Interviewed me and took some pics, I told my story and that was about it.

I hope when I go to court they let me off these offences and as a warning not to ride the bike with the motor on it again... till then I'll be working on paying my fines so I can get back in the Mustang.

Bottom line this friggin' sucks, I really liked the hobby , I was having fun... now my bike sits in the garage moping with the Mustang... what a way to go down.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Is this the bike they took pictures of midnight_rider?

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-c-c-m-north-ridge-21801.html

Sadly I can see that getting you pulled over in Ontario...but still no matter what it looks like if your pedaling it down the road it's not a motor vehicle. Do you have plans to get a lawyer or are you going to speak for yourself in court?

Fasteddy what is a crip card? Never heard of such a thing. Do you require them in BC to use mobility scooters? Hey speaking of canes I sometimes attach mine to my bike as I got a knee that gets cranky every now and then...never have had the need to beat anyone with it yet tho :)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Stealth

Just For The Fun Of It, To Fake People Out. I Ponder Installing A Large Pair Of "enclosed" Basket`s Over My Rear Axle Drive. Install Twist Shifter For Throttle. Use A Kill "switch" Not Button Under The Front Of Seat, Then I Could Show People That It Won`t Run.

BUT DON`T TELL THE NABOR`S, LOOSE LIP`S SINK SHIP`S.

When People Say; I Don`t see You Pedal Much, I Will Tell Them How Well It Coasts.

The Mount Plate Could Be Installed On Most Bicycles Easily., It Sells For $9.67 But Is Not Available. Easy To Make.

Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Is this the bike they took pictures of midnight_rider?

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-c-c-m-north-ridge-21801.html

Sadly I can see that getting you pulled over in Ontario...but still no matter what it looks like if your pedaling it down the road it's not a motor vehicle. Do you have plans to get a lawyer or are you going to speak for yourself in court?

Fasteddy what is a crip card? Never heard of such a thing. Do you require them in BC to use mobility scooters? Hey speaking of canes I sometimes attach mine to my bike as I got a knee that gets cranky every now and then...never have had the need to beat anyone with it yet tho :)
Yes it is the one they took pics of me with... I like to modify the stuff I own... nothing is EVER stock lol... not if I can help it... you should have seen the look on the photogs face when I fired up the Mustang lol

It's alright...I'm not getting a lawyer I'll represent myself

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Stealth

Just For The Fun Of It, To Fake People Out. I Ponder Installing A Large Pair Of "enclosed" Basket`s Over My Rear Axle Drive. Install Twist Shifter For Throttle. Use A Kill "switch" Not Button Under The Front Of Seat, Then I Could Show People That It Won`t Run.

BUT DON`T TELL THE NABOR`S, LOOSE LIP`S SINK SHIP`S.

When People Say I Don`t Pedal Much, I Will Tell Them How Well It Coasts.

The Mount Plate Could Be Installed On Most Bicycles Easily., It Sells For $9.67 But Is Not Available. Easy To Make.

Ron .cvlt1
Ron,
Looking good, even tho you may be speaking tongue-in-cheek I think the baskets on that would really get the job done.
Have you ridden that beast yet or has the weather stopped forward progress?
WC

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Wc

The Heat Of The Day Has Stopped All Outdoor Activities At The Bike Farm!!

Rider

Hope It Turns Out Well For You In Court. We Are Rooting For You!

Your Mab Is A Beauty, Aw Sum!

I Raced A Mach I 427 With Stroker Crank = 454 For Yrs On The Dirt Ovals.

Do you know of "Tom Nesbit" from Thunder Bay, car # 1 ?

Ron

Last edited:

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Wc

The Heat Of The Day Has Stopped All Outdoor Activities At The Bike Farm!!

Rider

Hope It Turns Out Well For You In Court. We Are Rooting For You!

Your Mab Is A Beauty, Aw Sum!

I Raced A Mach I 427 With Stroker Crank = 454 For Yrs On The Dirt Ovals.

Do you know of "Tom Nesbit" from Thunder Bay, car # 1 ?

Ron
Thanks !! , I'm more into the IHRA I dont really watch NASCAR or any circle track... makes me dizzy lol,... I sure wouldnt mind having that stroker though lol

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
“It’s not illegal to sell (motor conversion kits), because you can use them on private property or your farm. As soon as you go off private property, you have a problem,” Reibel said.

The Sgt forgot to mention to the reporter that even off private property it would still not be considered a "problem" if the rider is operating the modified bicycle using muscular power. The highway traffic act clearly says a motor vehicle is something that is "propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power". For law enforcement and us the million dollar question becomes was a modified bicycle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power at the time.

Everything hinges on the answer to that question...

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
I was pulled over myself a few months back here in hamilton and the fines intotal were 525.00 bucks lucky for me i have not had a license in years and will never pay the fines i am still riding my bike though but i tend to stick to back streets now and avoid the hiding spots were the cops are located so far so good though but next time i am going to make a run for it and let them chase me

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was pulled over myself a few months back here in hamilton and the fines intotal were 525.00 bucks lucky for me i have not had a license in years and will never pay the fines i am still riding my bike though but i tend to stick to back streets now and avoid the hiding spots were the cops are located so far so good though but next time i am going to make a run for it and let them chase me
I don't know how the rest of the world works but here if you do not pay your fines they will issue a warrant for your arrest. License or no license

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd like to see the P.I.T. maneuver during that chase! "He's up to 35kph! We'd better bump him or just not stop fast enough when he falls down!"

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I don't know how the rest of the world works but here if you do not pay your fines they will issue a warrant for your arrest. License or no license
It works that way in Canada too. Was told 13 years ago that I would have my newly issued Ontario license put under suspension and a warrant issued for my arrest if I didn't pay a traffic ticket I got in Northbay and I haven't been back to Canada since. :D

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
actually the fines i was issued were summary charges if i do not pay they go to collections not paying tickests is not a criminal offence and i doubt a warrant will be issued for my arrest they might though try to force me to pay the fine if i try to renew my license again but i doubt that will happen

The WANDERER

Jun 30, 2009
G.T.A.
tickets? how nice for the officer to give you a gift, were they to a concert or movie?
tickets is a bad informal use slang, properly its a Provincial Offence Notice (PON), this bad use on language confuses people who are not well versed in the realm of law, which is seperate from english

“I had seen them all around all the time. They looked great to get around on. Cheap on gas and no insurance.”
no insurance is right because its not a "motor-vehicle" in the HTA which is the definition citing for the Compulsorary Automobile Insurance Act (not this contraption that I saw in the article image anyways, other ppls machine might be)

however, if it IS a "motor-vehicle" then most ppls automotive liability insurance has a clause in the big policy contract (that most ppl never request or get automatically) which is an umbrella clause which *MAY* include you being covered while your using a "motor-vehicle" that is not the main vehicle being insured (like driving a friends car). Check your policy to see if it's in there, ask for an ammendment if it's not, thats if you have auto insurance at all, might also be covered in a clause for home insurance.

Julke’s driver’s licence is suspended for unpaid tickets, so the officer charged him with driving under suspension. That’s usually a $1,000 fine.
you were driving? I thought you were pedeling while the motor was on, maybe I dont have all the facts, weird, no one I know has ever been convicted of "driving" a bicycle. I guess the officer has evidence of this. File for a disclosure of evidence and get a copy of the officers notes (you have a right to evidence against you so you can defend yourself).

He was also handed an unsafe vehicle ticket, where the fine is set by a judge.

I guess theres proof of this, the officer might be one who is certified by the MTO as a mechanic, maybe not, again, get a disclousre of officers history, or ask for thier qualifications in court, also maybe take the contraption to an engineer or mechanic and ask them for their professional opinion on paper

And despite his bicycle helmet, he got a $110 ticket for not having a motorcycle helmet.
opps, my bad, I thought it was a modded bicycle, not a motorcycle

“It’s a grey area, but as long as you follow the bicycle act, you’ll be OK,” Boyle said.
grey area? no such thing, ditto for technicallity. Bicycle Act?????????

But officials from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and Waterloo Regional Police say they’re illegal motorized cycles. They’re not the same as electric e-bikes, which run on batteries and are allowed under special provincial legislation.
both author-ity types say "they're illegal motorized cycles", whats a motorized cycle, can someone show me a legislated definition somewhere of what that is, I dont belive it exists, but if it does, I'd like to not be ignorant of it. Thanks

Maybe the MTO or the officer can help show us where this is written. Perhaps its just informal language use which isnt legally binding.

correct, they are not the same as as electric e-bikes, which run on batteries

“A converted moped would not meet the 12 federal safety standards for limited-speed motorcycles, and therefore would not be registered for use on Ontario’s public roads,” said Bob Nichols, a Transportation Ministry spokesperson.
maybe this is true for a converted moped, he didnt say converted bicycle (watch the words and languge they use and how they interchange english and legal speak.

Perfect, he said "and therefore would not be registered for use on Ontario’s public roads" so looks like the big man is saying that it doesnt need registration, cuz we all know they wont register them.

Nor does having a 50 cubic centimetre or smaller gas engine exempt you from licensing and insurance laws, said Sgt. Dave Reibel, a former traffic squad officer with the regional police.
arnt most kits in actual Canadian cc's closer to 66cc's and above, so yea, he's right, it doesnt exmpt you from licencing laws (but its not 50cc's and under), question is - is an exemption even nesessary or required? I think not.

“It’s not illegal to sell (motor conversion kits), because you can use them on private property or your farm. As soon as you go off private property, you have a problem,” Reibel said.
if you CAN use em on yer farms or on private property then I guess they are EPA approves yes/no?

what problem, please elaborate Mr Reibel

NOTE: all this is my opinion, Im not responsible for anyone, educated opinion yes.

Remember folks, all these cops, MTO clerks, buerecrats are ppl too, so treat them as you wish to be treated, they are people too.

midnight_rider

Aug 2, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I got a sweet as sweet can be 1983 Gt IN MY GAGRAGE SITTING BECAUSE i KNOW i'M NOT ALLOWED BY LAW TO DRIVE IT... i CANT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WOULD THINK i WOULD RIDE ONE OF THESE IF i KNEW THEY WERE "iLLEGAL sorry about the caps I'm not yelling ... just venting lol

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
myself the tickets that were handed out to me were no licence no signal lights although i had a flashing tail light and no licence plate i guess i could fight the ticket as there was no mention of the type of vechicle or the serial number i found out later he did not fine me for having no insurance because someone else was fined for no insurance and he was let off because he tried to register his bike and he produced in court that he cannot register it with the mto and also he could not get insurance these types f bikes were legal in the fifties re whizzer bikes

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rockenstein, sorry I've been on the road and haven't had many chances to check in. I'm in Tennesse at the moment.

The crip card is the one that hangs off the mirror on your car and has the person in a wheel chair.

The guy that got whacked is well know around us for driving his scooter at a high speed.
The old p***k got what he deserved and the old dear that gave it to him deserved a medal.

Steve.