Lost all power

GoldenMotor.com

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
I was riding my bike today and it suddenly lost all power and started majorly leaking fuel from the carb,
and when i started it it had a short burst of normal power, but with alot more white smoke than usual
(two-stroke 49cc) please tell me whats wrong and what parts i need to fix it, thanks (please hurry, i need the bike to get to work):-||

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You got a float bowl issue. First you might just wanna play with the tickler. What this might allow is a possible tiny piece of debree to leave the needle seat. What the float does is govern the amount of fuel that loads up in the carbs float bowl. This in turn feeds to a venturi orifice at the bottom of the bowl, and fuel air mix is governed to the motor by the metering rod attached to our throttle

When the float bowl over flows it floods the engine

This is a good read on the carby..http://motorbicycling.com/f4/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-pictures-how-install-195.html

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
Thanks alot, its working again! Turns out there was a loose screw on the carberator, and something inside the carb was also lose, preventing it from being put back together properly, thanks again, problem solved!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
When I start from a cold start, I can ride it for like 30-40 minutes and then it bogs down and dies. Also It only runs smooth around full throttle, anything below and it sounds off. I'm going to check it out for trash in the float bowl and needle valve. Any other suggestions? My kit is a 2 stroke 2.69hp( I think)slant head engine, standard carb, standard carb, 44t sprocked, everything else is stock. Its a brand new build. I don't even have a mile on it. I went around my neighborhood and then it quit. It annoying to get it started again. When it does catch, it doesn't stay on for long. It doesn't start when the choke is all the way up. It'll start fine with it all the way down.

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Sounds like it's running too rich. What's your altitude? Try moving the c-clip on the needled one notch up. A re-jetting may be in order.
BTW, how can you ride it 30-40 minutes and yet not even have a mile on it?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I live in Florida. The elevation is about 10-20ft above sealevel. I moved the c clip up one notch from the middle and it doesn't make much if not any difference. It still quits after about 15 minutes. I figured out my piston chamber is overheating and its not the magneto. The mag is actually soldered on good. I think something in the chamber is causing it to overheat. There might be some metal shavings in the chamber. Cuz I took the right side cover off that shows the big and little cog, and it had a lump of grease and metal shaving in the bottom. I blew along the edge of the gears and a lot of shavings flew out. :( The cogs teeth had shavings on them too. :( Never buy anything from Daemon Bikes. Their manufacturer doesn't clean out the shavings before they put their engines together. Pics will come in 5 minutes.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Could it be overheating because it cant let out enough exhaust? I am using the stock muffler and the end that u mount on the engine is round. The mount on the engine is rectangular with the curved corners.

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Hey now, don't say too much bad about Daemon Bikes. The engine I got from them was just about perfect. As you break in the engine, the gears will work their way in and you may get small metal grit. That's why you have to break in the engines...The engines naturally run quite hot. I doubt it is overheating. Do a plug chop (search how to do it) and show pictures of the plug after that.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Below is my plug. Saturday i checked it and then put it back in and moved the c-clip up a notch from the stock position in the middle cuz it looked like it was running quite lean, but it looks the same as before.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Hard to tell from the small picture, but I don't think that looks too lean. I'm not a mega-expert or anything though, just coming from experience. Did you move the c-clip up or the needle up? Moving the C-clip upwards should make it run more lean, as it drops the needle.

As for reading plugs, I find this very useful: Spark Plugs

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I fixed my bike. The gas cap has no top vent. There are vent holes below the rubber gasket, but not above it. So i drilled a hole in the top of the gas tank. Now it runs fine, and forever! WOOP!!!!!!! I'll probably hot glue a water bottle cap over the hole and drill a hole in the side of that so no rain or debris gets in it. My idle cruising speed is 16mph, haha. My top speed is somewhere above 30. with my idle set pretty high(just high enough so the motor doesn't quit when I stop at a stop sign) the engine goes sooooo much faster!!!! I used an app on my phone and i got to 23mph, and the speedometer was still trying to catch up when i let off on the gas. There is so much vibration from all that power, lol. I'm going to tighten everything up again before I ride it again, ofc. I think i went about 1-5miles last night just going around my neighborhood and went around in the winn dixie parking lot. I rode around for about 2 hrs. I overtook this guy that was riding a regular bike, when i saw him i went to full throttle, and passed him like he was standing still. He looked back at me when I went to full throttle, and got that jaw dropping look! HAHA LOVE IT!!! We were both coming up on a intersection, so i sped past him and nice and smoothly applied the rear brake and the the front break, stopped, looked both ways, and roared off! I could feel him staring at me. lol This was at night so there the parking lot was nearly empty. Only had 2 close calls cuz some idiots don't know how to use a turn signal, and just turn. Always on the defensive these days, or you'll get hit.... When i am coming up on an intersection and there are cars stopped, when they see me coming they wait, but i just stop like 20ft before the intersection along the side of the road and wave them to go.

Last edited:

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Hah! Glad to hear you fixed it. That's exactly what happened to mine. I added an L-shaped fuel connector to my cap, and cap it off with a rubber plug when I'm not using it.