I think I'm going to need a new 4 stroke mounting plate.

GoldenMotor.com

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
After having to file down a booger weld that found its way into a bolt hole and realizing that one side basically bites into the frame, I snapped a bolt while trying to tighten the clamps. I don't think that the plate that came with my Q-Matic kit was meant to deal with the massive down tube on my Schwinn Drifter.

As it sits right now, I have it so the front of the plate is pretty much aligned with the curvature of the down tube. But it comes at a cost of it digging into my seat tube. A 3 inch one-pece crank is on its way to hopefully deal with the pedal clearance issues I've run into during the assembly mock-up. I'm not sure if I'll have any problems with the muffler contacting the frame or pedals until I get the mounting plate sorted out.

I'm going to take the whole thing apart tomorrow to replace the bolt, nut and washers, which went flying when the bolt snapped. As it sits right now, is it even safe to continue? I don't want to damage my frame or myself. I'm thinking that the FireBelly Cycles "Fat Cruiser" engine platform might be the only suitable replacement. Also, in order to have the air box clear the seat tube, the mount sits tilted slightly forward. Is that okay, or does it need to be parallel to the ground?

This is my first time building a bike and I figured I'd get one of the highest rated kits out there. Unfortunately, they don't come with instructions.

The first picture is of the bike in its mock-up stage. The second is the rear of the mount against the seat tube. The third is the front clamped to the down tube.

Attachments

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
Nearly three months later, I think I have it sorted out. I used a section of a pipe connector to protect the seat post tube. So far, nothing has come loose or shifted. But the bike still is not finished. Hopefully this will work as it is.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just got a mounting plate from EZM a few days ago and it appears to me that one end is meant to stay rigid and the other end can pivot some to better accommodate the more angled front tube. Loosen the bolts on the side of the mounting plate and you'll see what I mean. Maybe my mounting plate is a newer version than yours. Seems pretty good to me. My frame is different than yours, a 50 Schwinn straight bar, with a lot less room than you have. Good luck with your build.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Picture of the mounting plate is below. I didn't have a kit. I bought the tranny from Swap & Shop here on the forum and got a motor and mounting plate from a dealer. If you want this mounting plate you probably need to check with an EZM dealer. There are several of them here on the forum. AZBill is one, motorbikemike is another.
SB

Attachments