Frickin' Alaska laws...screwing up my board track build!

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 9, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
Anything under 50cc has to have head/tail lights, turn signals, a HORN, and needs to be plated and registered.

Anything over 50cc is a motorcycle.

Just found this all out today. Fortunately before I've invested anything other than time.

So I either ride a dork-mobile board tracker, or I ride nothing.

Meh. Sometimes it's just not your day.
:-||

trail-r-boy

Apr 27, 2010
Nova Scotia
Now it's time to get creative and have some fun trying to make it look right but legal. Don't give up on it over a license plate and lights. There are some pretty *****in lights to be found on ebay that you should be able to adapt to your bike. Although you don't need any of that here in Nova Scotia, I am going to ad a small head and tail light to my board tracker racer when I build it so that I can go on longer days trips in the country or along the coast.

Craig

trail-r-boy

Apr 27, 2010
Nova Scotia
Howdy Steve
As far as the motor, it will be gas. I had thought electric on the lights until reading your post and then it got me thinking. Why not gas? Old school carbide lamps with an acetylene generator would be very cool but I am not sure I would want to go that deep on the first one but maybe later. Kerosene wick lamps or even propane would be nice but not sure if I could contain that in a small enough package for the look with the heat that it will generate. As fun as all that sounds, electric is probably the way I will go to light up the road. High tech lighting in a vintage wrapper is something that I do all the time for my work projects and I will have fun applying it to the bike.

Craig

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Craig, left a message on the other thread about gas powered bikes which is what I talking about.
You would need electric lights. I'm an old antique dealer and I've tried kerosene, bike and car lamps and they would be almost usless on a bike. They just beat trying to keep a candle lit in the old days.

Steve.

trail-r-boy

Apr 27, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hi Steve
Yeah I know, It would look great as living room Art but wouldn't make practical sense at all. Perhaps I can find some 12v flicker bulbs?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My Dad always talked about the old cars and thier carbide lights. He was born in 1906.
He always said if you were carrying a kerosene light you couldn't walk too fast or you would walk past the light beam.

Grandma said that Dad and his two brothers took one of grandads old suits and stuffed it full of straw, sewed it up and laid it out on the cart track that passed as a road near thier house.
When the cars came by at night with the carbide lights they didn't see the "person" lying on the road until they ran over "them". In the panic to get back to check the "victim" they spent considerable time looking for them and were puzzled as to where they went.

Seems the answer to the puzzle was on the other end of the rope tied to the "victim" grasped firmly by the three brothers hiding in the woods. The plan worked for a few nights until the story got back to my Granddad who then checked his suits and handed out, if you will "suitable" punishment.

Are you enjoying the lobster?

Steve.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
if ya wanna get back at the system , look a some of the original laws and equiptment , required to drive a vehicle ( other than a horse )
many of these laws are still valid as they were never removed out of the ledgislation .

how funny would that be ( i,m off work , all the time in the world )
i should wait till rush hour , bring a "gong" , get out of my car at every intersection , just after the light turns green

walk out in front of my car , ring my gong 3 times , get back in my car , cross the intersection

and do that at every intersection

HEY , ya wouldn,t wanna run over a chicken or a goat by accident

i can already hear the profanities , but hey , your just obeying the law . hehehehe

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
if ya wanna get back at the system , look a some of the original laws and equiptment , required to drive a vehicle ( other than a horse )
many of these laws are still valid as they were never removed out of the ledgislation .

how funny would that be ( i,m off work , all the time in the world )
i should wait till rush hour , bring a "gong" , get out of my car at every intersection , just after the light turns green

walk out in front of my car , ring my gong 3 times , get back in my car , cross the intersection

and do that at every intersection

HEY , ya wouldn,t wanna run over a chicken or a goat by accident

i can already hear the profanities , but hey , your just obeying the law . hehehehe
Definitely you would be in fantastic shape doing this exercise !! maybe thats why all those guys looked so lean-- it was a much harder life despite all the reminiscing .