find electric motors in strange places

GoldenMotor.com

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
I've read about those being used in some car conversions. I thought they were around 90 VDC?
Last time I was at Princess Auto (Canada) they had a motor for a mobility scooter with gear reduction. I little big for a bike, but most times people seem to be going up in motor size, not down, so I think I'll go for it.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
For bikes there isn't as much choice as for cars (not enough room or too much weight). People used for bikes stepper motors from old plotters and photocopiers , car starters , power tools, industrial fans , washing machines and dryers...It's all about imagination (and lack of money for most cases) and know-how.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: all most the same boss - check this

Re: all most the same boss - check this YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. i am going find the link from here and hang out some in the alternative energy site some one has here im thinking about a wind power some how .. i should had took the name madscientist instead of kicking lol //// latter boss BQ
Self charging home made 24V electric mountain bike.

Not a treadmill motor to drive the bike but.....

YouTube - self charging home made 24V electric mountain bike

Regards
Tom

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: motors of any kind will not fit my frame (next) bike

Re: motors of any kind will not fit my frame (next) bike ,,,, so i really need an push cart and it in the making ,, i have pics of the poor mans build in the general topic here now ,, boss cat has the best push carts on here go take a gander,,, i would like to make an bike with an gas engine and eletric one runs out start up the other,, i think weight is a key to any of this stuff
I've read about those being used in some car conversions. I thought they were around 90 VDC?
Last time I was at Princess Auto (Canada) they had a motor for a mobility scooter with gear reduction. I little big for a bike, but most times people seem to be going up in motor size, not down, so I think I'll go for it.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: speaking of wind power something like this

somthing like this with a prop or something . im a big tesla fan too !!! i made an charger with a pvc pipe and an styrofoam plunger and i had to dismantle it .. i could never control the flow of current TeslaStuff PBS: Tesla - Master of Lightning he was an great mind !!!! so bosscat if any one can,, its you latter
Re: all most the same boss - check this YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. i am going find the link from here and hang out some in the alternative energy site some one has here im thinking about a wind power some how .. i should had took the name madscientist instead of kicking lol //// latter boss BQ

Attachments

Last edited:

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
Re: motors of any kind will not fit my frame (next) bike

Re: motors of any kind will not fit my frame (next) bike ,,,, so i really need an push cart and it in the making ,, i have pics of the poor mans build in the general topic here now ,, boss cat has the best push carts on here go take a gander,,, i would like to make an bike with an gas engine and eletric one runs out start up the other,, i think weight is a key to any of this stuff
Trailers are nice from a practical standpoint. I used one for a year to do practically all my commuting. How else can you carry a 20lb propane cylinder and a week's groceries on the way home from work? ON the other hand, it makes for a long package that can be a pain to park in the garage. I'm leaning towards putting everything on the bike for normal use and a single wheel battery/cargo trailer for groceries and longer commutes

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
i would love to have an ice cream vending bike but the

i would love to have an ice cream vending bike but they cost a lot of $$$$$$$ i found a site that wants over $2000.00 for one eeeckk i am getting up in age and have a few health problems and in more need of an trike type anyway , and sell some blue bell ice cream around my area to make a little extra cash .....
Trailers are nice from a practical standpoint. I used one for a year to do practically all my commuting. How else can you carry a 20lb propane cylinder and a week's groceries on the way home from work? ON the other hand, it makes for a long package that can be a pain to park in the garage. I'm leaning towards putting everything on the bike for normal use and a single wheel battery/cargo trailer for groceries and longer commutes

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
ok I plunked down a hundred bucks and so now the fun begins. This mobility scooter motor is rated at 24V 10amps and says the output is 84 inch pounds at 172 rpm. It has a planetary gear reduction with a 5/8" keyed output shaft. It had an electric brake on it which I've removed, but it hasn't really reduced the size or weight of the unit. It's about 8" long by 5-1/4" diameter. Lined up on the back of the bike it looks huge.
My original intention was to run it at 36V at about 1:1 reduction not counting the reduction gears. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should stick with a 24V system. I've got some pictures, but I have to figure out how to downsize them before I can post them here.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
try resize picture like this

try to resize your pictures like this … 1. left click on pic 2. Look for open with 3.open with paint 4.now you are in paint look at the top for ;;Image’’ and click to open 5. Now open resize/skew and click to open 6. Now in horizontal enter 30 … and 30 in vertical 7. Now close paint window and when it prompts ;;save’’’ click yes .. Now give a second for the change and go to another pic or click on page or something , then hover the mouse arrow over the pic you just resized and it should be 101kb or a better size .. Hope I helped
ok I plunked down a hundred bucks and so now the fun begins. This mobility scooter motor is rated at 24V 10amps and says the output is 84 inch pounds at 172 rpm. It has a planetary gear reduction with a 5/8" keyed output shaft. It had an electric brake on it which I've removed, but it hasn't really reduced the size or weight of the unit. It's about 8" long by 5-1/4" diameter. Lined up on the back of the bike it looks huge.
My original intention was to run it at 36V at about 1:1 reduction not counting the reduction gears. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should stick with a 24V system. I've got some pictures, but I have to figure out how to downsize them before I can post them here.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
If I increase the voltage, more amps will flow through the motor.
Wrong. Less amps for same amount of work ( V*A=W) . I've suggested to allow 10 A trough motor (with 36 V) to , sort of , boost up power (360 W).With more Volts you'll get some more RPM , with more Amps - you'll get more torque (better acceleration). Nothing bad will happen to the motor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm curious what is the rpm of the motor as is. And yes your rpms will go of up 50% which will make the bike more useful, since more speed going into a hill means less drop off when it starts to bog down.

And they are right amps will not increase at all. Your watts will increase with the voltage increase but not the amps. You will just be drawing less amps per battery because there are more of them to share the load.

jeff96

Mar 29, 2010
Ontario
Right, makes sense about V vs A. I don't think I'll have to worry about bogging the motor down too much. There's a guy who made a website called theworkshop.ca who used one of these to make what he called a light electric vehicle. This trike sounds like it had plenty of speed and torque at 36V. He eventually geared it down to slow it down after he blew out the planetary gears while trying to keep up with an ATV on rough trails.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For bikes there isn't as much choice as for cars (not enough room or too much weight). People used for bikes stepper motors from old plotters and photocopiers , car starters , power tools, industrial fans , washing machines and dryers...It's all about imagination (and lack of money for most cases) and know-how.
I guess I am ignorant, but how do you use an AC motor for a bike? Almost everything listed so far is AC.