is an 24 volt 250 watt motor enough ?

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I know that motors can go from 24volt 100 watts to 48 volt 1000 watts and , I know that I will need an controller and an throttle battery or batteries Twist Throttle or Thumb Throttle best ? I am making a list .. Any suggestions will help ,,,, thank you

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I know that motors can go from 24volt 100 watts to 48 volt 1000 watts and , I know that I will need an controller and an throttle battery or batteries Twist Throttle or Thumb Throttle best ? I am making a list .. Any suggestions will help ,,,, thank you
Ok first, a few questions..

1. Where do you live
2. How fast do you want to go
3. How far do you want to go
4. Do you live in a hilly area or mostly flat area

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: ok thanks i am here for about an hour online i ...

Ok first, a few questions..

1. Where do you live
2. How fast do you want to go
3. How far do you want to go
4. Do you live in a hilly area or mostly flat area
1. live in mississippi 2. from 5 to 10 mph 3. i would like to go about 5 to ten miles sometime , and i would hook up a solor panel to batteries i hope.. 4. mostly flat , but if need to, ill push my bike at times up steep hills .. im thinking about a push cart with an 24 volt 250 watt motor , dont know much about controlers batteries or throttles , seems pull trigger would be idea so i wont have to mess so much with handel bar grips ,, thats why i am here planing first .. i have a cart i am just pulling it for now ,going rain today and got it inside lol thank you !

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: something like this in mind got sample pics here

Re: something like this in mind got sample pics here
1. live in mississippi 2. from 5 to 10 mph 3. i would like to go about 5 to ten miles sometime , and i would hook up a solor panel to batteries i hope.. 4. mostly flat , but if need to, ill push my bike at times up steep hills .. im thinking about a push cart with an 24 volt 250 watt motor , dont know much about controlers batteries or throttles , seems pull trigger would be idea so i wont have to mess so much with handel bar grips ,, thats why i am here planing first .. i have a cart i am just pulling it for now ,going rain today and got it inside lol thank you !

Attachments

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I think you'll find that the 24V 250Watt motor will be a little lacking in speed? I have just installed a 24V 180Watt motor on my push trailer and find that I only travel along at walking pace? Im awaiting a controller and throttle so I can install my 36V 500Watt motor on my trailer.

See my thread - http://motorbicycling.com/f9/bosscats-push-trailer-16616.html#post162318

If the 36V 500watt motor turns out to give me a bit more speed/push up hills then i'll probably stick with it, but then again tomorrows another day and I may start looking bigger. :D

Best of luck with your build ;)
Regards
Tom

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The only problem with those (looks like harbor freight) motors is that they aren't very efficient. Even though thy may be rated for a certain wattage it's closer to the truth that they are only, at best, 70% efficient meaning if it's rated for 350 w you have to put in 500w to get the power output of 350w (500w x 70%). And they're usually not mean for extremely high amp usage.

Ex: 36v 350w motor needs 500w to run at 350w so 36v into 500w = 11a just to get the rated power... Which may not seem alot, but in order to get to that point, you need to build up the momentum which would require more power aka amps.

More than likely, you'll be pulling 20+ amps on the way to wanted speed.

I don't see why you don't go with an in wheel (read; HUB) motor.. Usually a bit more efficient which translates into more power/range.

Maybe some others can either tell me if I'm off base or have other ideas?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Also, what's good about a push trailer? Just curious.

If I were to make a "push" trailer, I would rather equip my bike with a trailer and a 48v 1000w motor (on the rear bike wheel) and just use some of the trailer's space for larger batteries.
(also I would think that the wheel/motor in the rear of the BICYCLE would be a bit more steady then on the push trailer)
Give me some ideas.

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: is the stuff in my pics about all i need ? motor co..

Re: is the stuff in my pics about all i need ? motor controler throttle battery?
I think you'll find that the 24V 250Watt motor will be a little lacking in speed? I have just installed a 24V 180Watt motor on my push trailer and find that I only travel along at walking pace? Im awaiting a controller and throttle so I can install my 36V 500Watt motor on my trailer.

See my thread - http://motorbicycling.com/f9/bosscats-push-trailer-16616.html#post162318

If the 36V 500watt motor turns out to give me a bit more speed/push up hills then i'll probably stick with it, but then again tomorrows another day and I may start looking bigger. :D

Best of luck with your build ;)
Regards
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
A 24volt 250watt motor with 2 12v 7ah batterys will get you 12-15mph for around 5 miles flat ground no wind. My batterys went dead and would not hold a charge after around 75 charges and not the 300 charges that was listed in my manual.

Don't forget the battery charger.

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
the motor is not an harbor freight but the type that gos on scooters like the razor , schwinn ,extreme ect. ect.
The only problem with those (looks like harbor freight) motors is that they aren't very efficient. Even though thy may be rated for a certain wattage it's closer to the truth that they are only, at best, 70% efficient meaning if it's rated for 350 w you have to put in 500w to get the power output of 350w (500w x 70%). And they're usually not mean for extremely high amp usage.

Ex: 36v 350w motor needs 500w to run at 350w so 36v into 500w = 11a just to get the rated power... Which may not seem alot, but in order to get to that point, you need to build up the momentum which would require more power aka amps.

More than likely, you'll be pulling 20+ amps on the way to wanted speed.

I don't see why you don't go with an in wheel (read; HUB) motor.. Usually a bit more efficient which translates into more power/range.

Maybe some others can either tell me if I'm off base or have other ideas?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
A 24volt 250watt motor with 2 12v 7ah batterys will get you 12-15mph for around 5 miles flat ground no wind. My batterys went dead and would not hold a charge after around 75 charges and not the 300 charges that was listed in my manual.

Well, where was the motor located and what kind of motor?
At best efficiency 85% you were pulling 300w from 24v at 12a.
5 miles at 15mph is 20 min at best..(more like 30min with stop/start)
30min x min 12a = 6ah at a MINIMUM
6ah out of 7ah SLA is probably taking them down to 90% DOD EVERY TIME which will kill SLAs fast, that's why you only got 75 charges. SLAs don't like to drop to more than 80%.
And if it wasn't a hub motor you dropped the SLAs to 100% usage.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: yep cabin thats why if the deep cycle battery

yep cabin thats why if the deep cycle battery was not so heavy it would be idea to use but my craftsman feels like 90 lbs i have had this on a trolling motor completly drained and it still going 20 years now // think a solar panel might help ? .............................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay what do you plan to do with the motor. I know someone asked you already but do you want to pedal assist with it or ride it like a motorcycle. If the land is flat and miss is at the coast at least, and you don't mind pedaling to keep the speed up, then 250 might do it.

Unless you already have the motor, spring for five hundred watts, then go with three 12v batteries and a 36v conroller. the more ah in the batteries the longer the charge will last. Unlike some batteries sla will give you the amps you need to run your motor but will run down quickly.

If you are determined to go with a 24v 250 watt system there is no absolute need for a controller or throttle. At those voltages and watts just get a good 20amp household wall switch and go to it..

however the bigger the motor or power supply the more you need the controller.

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: sorry yall i am a little blind and slow am trying t

sorry yall i am a little blind and slow am trying to keep up lol i am going to mount this on a trailer and let it push my bike ... my bike is an (next) and the frame is to big to mount any motor on the frame .. and i may carry some water on it too maybe a gallon........................................................................
Okay what do you plan to do with the motor. I know someone asked you already but do you want to pedal assist with it or ride it like a motorcycle. If the land is flat and miss is at the coast at least, and you don't mind pedaling to keep the speed up, then 250 might do it. You are most likely going to want to do more then 12v though. 24 is a pretty minimum.

Unless you already have the motor, spring for five hundred watts, then go with two 12v batteries. the more ah the longer the charge will last. Unlike some batteries sla will give you the amps you need to run your motor but will run down quickly.

If you are determined to go with a 12v 250 watt system there is no need for a controller or throttle. At those voltages and watts just get a good 20amp household wall switch and go to it..

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
then you are talking about building a pusher trailer. I can dig it. You are going to need a lot more than you have show us.
1. How do you plan to hook the motor to the drive wheel
2. do you or one of your friends weld.

Somewhere around here is a set of directions to build a pat trailer. Pedal assist trailer. It is a design I worked out when I was building a pusher. I think it is the worlds easiest pusher design, One 16" wheel with a motor hanging on it Attached to the bike on both sides effectively making the trailer an extension of the bike. it also moves along pretty good at 24v with that 16" wheel. I think it had a 500 watt motor though.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: i am thinking about

Re: i am thinking about 1. chain with sprocket 2. i dont know how to weld might talk to my freinds will brazing or lug frame work do ? ill see yall tomaro mabey if not real busy ... gone till then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ......///
then you are talking about building a pusher trailer. I can dig it. You are going to need a lot more than you have show us.
1. How do you plan to hook the motor to the drive wheel
2. do you or one of your friends weld.

Somewhere around here is a set of directions to build a pat trailer. Pedal assist trailer. It is a design I worked out when I was building a pusher. I think it is the worlds easiest pusher design, One 16" wheel with a motor hanging on it Attached to the bike on both sides effectively making the trailer an extension of the bike. it also moves along pretty good at 24v with that 16" wheel. I think it had a 500 watt motor though.