2 head gaskets?

GoldenMotor.com

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
I just received my Billet head from Pirate Cycles. Great product Jim! Is this head supposed to use 2 head gaskets like how my stock pk80 came?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I just received my Billet head from Pirate Cycles. Great product Jim! Is this head supposed to use 2 head gaskets like how my stock pk80 came?
Thanks!

Use just one gasket. You will notice that there is a lip to keep the gasket centered. After you slide the head onto the studs, double check to make sure that the gasket is still in-place before torqueing it down.

Use 93 octane fuel and short reach, (3/8"), spark plugs.

Jim

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
nice! I actually just put a slant head on my old pk 80 (it came with regular head 2 years ago), and i noticed a difference in how smooth the entire rpm range is. I used 2 head gaskets on that engine, just because my new pk came like that. The old pk has a domed piston, so if I did just use 1 gasket, chances are I could have messed up the piston/ spark plug. It seems like a dog outta the hole, but it runs alot better imo. Thanks Jim, I gotta go fill up on some 93 for this new build!

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
If you use two gaskets on an engine it's going to lower the compression ratio and power output. That was a trick used in the '40s when lousy gas was the only kind available some guys used two head gaskets on Ford 60hp flathead V8s. You could almost burn kerosene that way.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks!

Use just one gasket. You will notice that there is a lip to keep the gasket centered. After you slide the head onto the studs, double check to make sure that the gasket is still in-place before torqueing it down.

Use 93 octane fuel and short reach, (3/8"), spark plugs.

Jim
Does your intake give any performance gains? I got your sprocket and it's great so I'm thinking about the intake now.