Texas DPS rule question???

GoldenMotor.com

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
In Texas, what is the biggest engine you can legally ride around on the street without a license?

Thanks!

D0ppleganger.wee.

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
I've done some looking and it seems anything under 50cc is legally classified as a 'moped'
still unsure on license requirements though

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Here is a link to a thread on Texas laws that has 49 pages at last count.
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/texas-law-engine-assisted-bicycle-268.html
Texas is consistently inconsistent.
Members in some TX towns get a free pass from law enforcement.
The police in other TX towns, like College Station, expect to see a license plate on any wheeled vehical with a gas motor (except gopeds!)

You must have a cert of origin from a bonafide manufacturer and insurance to get a license plate. You will not be able to obtain that for bicycle with a China girl motor.

Assisted bicycles are only street legal on streets with a speed limit of 30mph max.
Please search for Texas law on this site and read the all the posts before you accumulate some expensive tickets.

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
Thanks wheel, I actually had time to come home for lunch and rode it around the block and a cop passed me and just kinda gave me the 'eye' and didn't say anything (30 mph limit on that street.)
It just so happens that from here to school-- all the streets are 30 until you get on campus (then it turns from 40 to 25) so I should be good to go. I will definitely read up on your link!!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
It really comes down to if your town has a city ordinance but more importantly riding safe and appearing to ride safe and legal (lights at night ALWAYS wear a helmet looking 3-4 times b4 turning aim high steering...meaning looking far ahead for bad situations and slowing b4 you are in the middle of it...no sudden stops) I was told by Seagoville Tx police shut the engine and peddle if the posted speed is >35mph else you cross the line of bein a moped and needing registration just like a motorcycle. In practice I go out of my way to make em see I avoid bein in thick traffic and ALWAYS give the right of way to pedestrians and cars pretty much anything but ants and roaches (they got it comin to em). I am not a lawyer just my observations and best effort to discern the law and the "spirit" of the law.

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
I don't believe we have a city ordinance against them... not sure why a city would... CS seems to be more worried about red light cameras than anything because of the mass of humanity and growth in the recent years. Don't have a helmet, now I have to go buy one but I guess it's for the best. Thanks for your recommendations george.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Try to find a cop sitting at a wal mart parking lot nice neutral no fire war zone and be polite and ask, that's what I did. I don't think there are any ordinances on private property UNLESS megalowmart complains LOL! As a side not the back alleyway like the trucks go around almost all wal marts is MUCH safer to navigate...I usually park near tire and lube. Have fun be safe!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
GeorgeN - Sounds like you have had a class on the Smith Driving System. My company requires us to practice the system.
My china girl is still in storage, so I have not tested the waters yet.

D0ppleganger

Feb 27, 2010
CS, TX
Be careful when you are riding, I had a guy pull out in front of me and had to lay the bike down.
Luckily the pedal was in the up position on the side that hit the road, causing no damage to the engine.
Just a couple scratches on me and the handlebars was all. Be sure to wear a helmet as well! I was going close to 30 when I had to throw on the brakes, so if I collided with the car, I would have been flying head first! .bf.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Texas = light on when running/horn/turn+taillight/reflectors/stoplight/mirror/dot helmet/inspection/30mph/50cc/2hp/insurance/class m license
Not sure if a bicycle with motor qualifies or not.

yowsa52

Aug 18, 2010
Texas
In Texas:
1. Motor assisted bicycle is limited to electric only and 750 watts. Period.

2. You can have a scooter like a goped with 40cc or less and 40mph or less capable of being pushed or kicked and that is legal. In our town of San Antonio they have been outlawed.

3 In Texas if it has a gas motor it requires a title, insurance, inspection and plates. From lowest to high it is moped, motorcycle, automobile.

This is my first post on this forum and may be my last.