Will this bike work?

GoldenMotor.com

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
I like road and commuter bikes with 700c/29er tires.....Ive found some tires that make them ride much smoother....Schwabble makes "big apple" and "fat franks" that have "suspention" built in...I chose the latter

heres a road bike with a suspension fork from the dump

Good luck......J

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I tried a road bike and you run into two problems.
  1. Like everyone said, the engine DOES get in the way of the pedals.
  2. The tentioner doesn't align well. You have to bend and twist it quite a bit to get it to align with the chain. This is because the bar it's mounted to isn't straight like the cruiser bikes, it's at like a 30 degree angle. Then again, people on here got them to mountainbikes so I'm gonna figure out how they accomplished that.

Last edited:

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
View attachment Mixxmilkks 002.jpg

View attachment Mixxmilkks 001.jpg

View attachment Mixxmilkks 003.jpg

View attachment Mixxmilkks 004.jpg It will work, I have a trek 200 series. and she work fine. But as wheelbendr6 said, the wheels are not that strong. I've gone thru 2 rims before i learned of the french and italan designed 27" 48 spoke rims. I pick mine up on monday. I have a 80/66cc grubee skyhawk, and its been horned out for better air flow, so i get at least 3hp, not 2.75. mounting the eng will be some what tricky, to low?, and your peds will hit the motor. use the mount adapter included in you kit to position higher.( remove the bottle holder).

Ciretose420

May 4, 2010
Portland, OR
As for your custom handlebars... I'd avoid using a soft metal like copper tubing, to make it, if you end up fabricating something. You'll likely bend them too easily.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
You know how there are a million videos of guys getting whacked in the crotch? Seeing that makes me cringe a little. That's how I feel when I hear someone talk about making handlebars out of copper tubing. OUCH!
Proper steel or aluminum straight (not drop) handlebars are easy enough to find.

bigben77

Jul 2, 2008
Edmonds, WA
I have also been thinking about a road bike build and I'm leaning towards disc compatable rims for bolting the sprocket to and a shift kit maybe? I'm thinking of using a Schwinn Varsity Chicago from the 80's I think?

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I like road and commuter bikes with 700c/29er tires.....Ive found some tires that make them ride much smoother....Schwabble makes "big apple" and "fat franks" that have "suspention" built in...I chose the latter

heres a road bike with a suspension fork from the dump

Good luck......J
\

Jay sawdust, where did you get those springer forks? They look really nice.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
that bike will work great.Here's what I would do.put 5"riser bars on it.Try bikeparts usa.cheap.If you dont have at least 4 1/2" between tha cranks get some that are wider.Try streetlowrider.The have good prices.Or somebody that sell 4 stroke kit parts.put some good tires on it.Thats very important.cheap slicks can be dangerous.Should be a piece of cake!Thats about as EZ as they get.