E(lusive)-Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
OK ... I'm lowering my sights since last time I asked a similar question. Anybody know of an e-bike that would meet the following minimum requirements while carrying an old, fat, 200-pound rider?

Top speed of 10 mph

Range of 20 miles

Full recharge in 12 hours or less

Batteries last 2 years or 500 recharges

Cost no more than $400 with bike included or
no more than $300 for kit without bike

It really doesn't seem like too much to ask for ... or is it? :confused:

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
build yourself a rhino drive lol... It goes over ten miles an hour.... can be built for under a hundred bucks... you can use the batteries of your choice. Lith on the bike or sla in a trailer.... Or build a pusher with the same motor setup.

You can also buy a 500 watt hub kit on ebey for less than three hundred, batteries not included. I personally don't like hub motors but most guys swear by them. Also the wallymart Izip for around three hundred isnt bad but I still prefer the DIY bike.

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
I've had the IZip for about a year. I have hills around here and about 5 miles is all I can get on a charge and that includes alot of pedaling. Six miles and I am "limping" home. I don't think you would get more than 10 on level ground with pedaling.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That's the batteries. Those sla batteries at 10ah are next to nothing. I now run the equivalent of 17ah sla at 36v with a 24v controller and a 600watt motor on a friction drive system. I do agree even with that the range is the factor. I understand that there is a second battery system with the izip that will double the range. The cost is way too much in my opinion. I would rather buy a thrift store 12inch bike and make a trailer from the wheels then convert the system to larger sla batteries or maybe go with lith if i could afford it.

The izip is also a little underpowered in my opinion but a lot of guys love it. None of my bikes have working gears or direct drive so I can't comment on the bike itself.

Ebikes just aren't the same as gas bikes more's the pity.