Carborator adjustments

GoldenMotor.com

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
Finished my bike today and spent a long time trying to get it started. Finally it went for about 5 minutes and then stalled and I wasn't able to get it started again. The carb has one visible adjustment that seems to be an idle screw and the choke. Other than a priming button is there anything I'm missing? I'm an 63 years old and really not into a lot of peddling. If this keeps up I'm going to have to look for a long hill and hope it starts before I hit bottom. Do they like to primed and choked? What would be a recommended procedure of starting the motor that you have found that works?:confused:

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

f

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You can change the notch in the clip; I know their is a post in here how to do it with pic's I believe.....I'm still looking for it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The carb "adjustment" is just for the idle speed.
Is your needle clip in the second groove from the top?
Are there air leaks at the intake manifold or carb to manifold joint?

I usually push the primer down for a couple od seconds and use 3/4 choke. I could never get them going with full choke.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The needle clip is the "C" shaped clip that holds the jet needle to the slide in the carb. By moving the clip down you get a richer setting, up, leaner.

The jet needle has a very slight taper to it so as you are opening the throttle, it make the carb mixture progressively richer.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My eyesight is not-so-good without reading glasses and I've adjusted the clip on the road a whole bunch of times...just don't lose it! Once it flies, it's gone.

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
Got it running pretty smooth. Still a little hard to start but that's my getting to know what it likes. The next one I build will have a coaster brake, too many controls on the handle bars. Less handles that have to be pulled in an emergency the better. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how the sprocket and the coaster break lever work around each other? Since I don't have a bike with a coaster brake it hard to visualize how the sprocket goes on.

I'm also thinking of running the wiring through the frame both for protection and a cleaner look. It will be awhile still got to work all the kinks out of this first one.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The coaster brake is not too bad...you bend it in a shallow "Z" shape to clear the sprocket bolts. Or, alternately you can use pan head or other flateter bolts. I bent the arm a little and ground the heads of the stiock bolts at an angle to clear.

You will also have to grind the flange off your dust cover...don't just eliminate it!