Anyone have any tips on a tandem build?

GoldenMotor.com

What engine should I put on my new TANDEM MOTOR BIKE?

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hello, I'm looking to build a tandem motorbike, so my girlfriend and I can go to the rally together. :) You can view it here...

Tandem Bikes - 2 Wheel Bikes - Beach Cruisers, Mountain Bikes, Tandem Bikes, Children's Bikes

Of the four on the page, which will work the best? Should I go two stroke or four? will a 49cc two stroke hold up to the weight of the big bike, and two riders? Or should I go with a 70cc? I'd imagine a 4 stroke would be best, so I could just pull into gas stations. I'm not trying to spend too much money, so if anyone has a cheaper tandem bike then the ones I've posted, I'd love to know where, and if anyone has any tips, advice, personal knowledge, or ANYTHING about tandem bicycles, and putting an engine on one, please help. :) Thank you so much, later.

(should I get better air filter? NOS? Expansion chamber?)
***Link to NOS Kit for your bike!!!!***
NITROUS OXIDE KITS FOR SCOOTER / POCKET BIKES

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The problem with most tandem bikes is that they usually have crazy frames that 'in frame' engines won't fit into.
Also you will have to use super extra long chain, cables & extra chain tensioners!

You should seriously look into rear rack mount 80cc engines for a project like that.

Or, you can do what I did, & build her a bike of her own!! (& make her pay for it!) ;)

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I was thinking of the that'sdax 48cc titan 4 stroke, but now I've learned that spooky tooth cycles has a new four stroke kit, the 4G. I will likely go with a rear mount 4 stroke, but I want to stay under 50cc. To abide by the laws. Any tips on four strokes? I've never used one. Only two stroke 70ccs under my belt. :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
ADD I went to spookys site and didnt see a 4 stroke kit, do you have a link to it? Thanks. What motor, price, is it chain driven? Pics too.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
It isn't posted for sale yet. They have just recieved it, and as far as I know, I'm the first to gain access to it. I'm sure it will be released for sale before my rally, so just keep checking spooky tooth cycles, they will post for sale soon I'm sure. :)

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
It s funny the 2 bikes on the left seem the same yet $10 difference, bottom left 1 has a dearailuer type tensioner top left doesnt. Same applies to the 2 bikes on the right except the prices are the same. As far as looks the 2 on the left have my vote. where would you mount an inframe motor on a tandem? In the middle triangle?......bikes on the left seem you have a choice of 2 triangles to mount in, bikes on the right it seems youd only have 1 choice and that location doesnt seem ideal.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I'm trying a 80cc 2 cycle on my tandem project. It's a "sun retro cruiser" and they are no longer made. I tryed very hard to find this one. I bought it off of some guy on craigslist for $250. I think were $800 new. I'm running the motor chain through the bottom bracket of the rear passenger. It's been a pain. I'm not planning to have a second passenger, sort of a stretch lowrider looking thing. If I were to do it again I would of just bought a shift kit from sick bike parts. Once this engine dies (any I have a lot of miles on it) I think I'll put a 4 cycle on it.

Attachments

cornbelt

Sep 29, 2009
Mine was a Western Flyer. The boy's section in front; the girl's in rear. I put the engine in the rear with the front mount being put on a short loop of conduit added for that purpose.
When riding alone, keeps the heat behind me and no need for a long drive chain.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I agree with venice ...build her own bike...I mean its probabally easier to speed up and get away from her than to bang a wheelie and dump her off..especially with a tandem. But seriously I just got My misses a Spitfire for her own Moto-Bicycle..Im glad she didnt see this thread. Im very interested though how the bike turns out. Good Luck
Cheers

Last edited: