Is a License required in Florida

GoldenMotor.com

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
Hey all" New member here! I have been riding since 2006 in Tampa without any trouble and recently moved to Largo and stopped twice in the last year! the sheriff deputies do not seem to care but the the largo police sure do! they made sure I had a license and still said I needed a plate and a helmet! that was the first time! the second time the officer wanted me to get it off the street and on the sidewalk because it was not street legal ! I complied because I did not want to escalate the issue! lets face it! they could confiscate the bike and i may never see it again? It seems like every person that sells these gas bikes says you don`t need a license! and yet If you get stopped and do not have one? you can still get arrested and lose the bike and then have to get bailed out of jail, when you see the judge, you might get off depending on the circumstances because it is a so called gray area of the law? god help you if you are under suspension for DUI"

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
If it's under 50cc no registration is required.
Go to your local DMV and have them show you the reg.
It's always a nice idea to use reflectors and mirrors.
Sounds like your cops are out of the loop.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
If it's under 50cc no registration is required.
Go to your local DMV and have them show you the reg.
It's always a nice idea to use reflectors and mirrors.
Sounds like your cops are out of the loop.
I beg to differ with you. Look up the topic. Its been discussed umpteen times.

A FL MBer just went to court: for a ticket for Driving a Motorized Bicycle without a registration/ tags.

Even though I disagree with you, THE LAW, or REAL LIFE PRACTICE of the law is still grey. (ie NO - the dmv stating that a GAS motorized bicycle cant be registered, and YES - several FL MBers have registered and tagged their MB's)

Add:
(LEGALLY REGISTERED.)

BTW, where r u located? Daytona Beach Bike Week! Lets Ride!!!

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I beg to differ with you. Look up the topic. Its been discussed umpteen times.

I understand that it has been discussed here many times. However, I have never found anywhere on the Florida DMV website where it states that a lower than 50cc scooter needs to registered and plated. It only states that the driver must be 16 and have at least a Class E drivers license and they cannot be ridden on sidewalks or interstates. Plus, my neighbor works for the DMV in Melbourne and he states the same as the website. Now, I you go to DMV.Gov and look up Florida laws it states that you must get it registered. But nowhere does it state the statute or give a link to this info. Hmmmm...

I'm going to the DMV in a few day to re-register my Stella 150 scooter and I'm going to ask them about the law. Then I will have a defacto answer.

(BikeWeek)
I live in Palm Bay.
Thinking seriously about going.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Kumba,

What you just mentioned in above post #84 is what a fellow FL MBer recently went to court on and was found guilty of - riding an unregistered gas motorized bicycle. Found guilty even though laws state registration is not required.

From my personal experience, I think its obvious that theres a grey area of the law in this regard.

I think there is NO need to "stir the pot" and ask questions to the DMV or any other agency in this regard BECAUSE there is NOTHING to be fixed, again from my point of view:

a. I ride for fun.
b. I have a valid FL Drivers License, (with motorcycle endorsement as well).
c. I have LEGALLY registered and tagged my gas motorized bicycle.

So clear law, unclear law, where is the statutes stating....

With all due respect why would it matter?

So, a FL MBer has several choices:
a. ride without a registering/tag ---> risk getting a ticket
b. register and and tag ---> ride worry free, within the limits of the law
(for those who are qualified to do so)
c. ride an electric bicycle ---> no registration required.

If a point blank question was asked of me:
Q: Is it required to register a gas motorized bicycle in Florida?
A: Yes, if you are going to ride it on public roads.

I hope this clarifies things. :)

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Went to the DMV today to re-register my 150 scooter.
While I was there, I attempted to get my MB registered just to see for myself if it is required to do so. I had pictures and serial numbers.

The attendant took one look at the cc rating and told me there was no need to register it. I then asked for a copy of the regulations and she sent me to see her supervisor. He also stated the if it is below 50cc there is no law stating that it needs to be registered.

He said at the moment it falls into the CAN category and not the SHALL category.
In other words, you CAN register them if you want.
But there is no law stating that you SHALL pay for a registration.
He also said that his office has never registered a 49cc.

I'll be keeping that money to buy beer thank you!~

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Come over to Lake Worth, FL and try riding a gas bike unregistered and see how long it takes you to have your bike impounded, go to court and pay all the fines.
Not long.
You MAY get away with it for a while...
You have to understand, that the DMV does NOT create laws.
They (try to) follow state statutes, but when it comes down to it, 99.9% o the workers at the DMV have NO CLUE as to what the law is.

All the DA has to do is look up the statute of the definition of a moped and you're screwed in court.
Just like everyone else has stated. People have tried and failed NUMEROUS times to "beat" it and always pay a fine or worse.
If you have a DL, you've "won" HALF the battle, the rest is a "loss" no matter how you try to spin it.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Register it as a homemade moped.. There is a section in the DMV's computer for just that.
It happens to everyone eventually, you WILL get caught and ticketed and fined.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The more people "rebel" the harder "the man" comes down on them..
The more people that cause problems the stricter the laws will get.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Rick Scott claims to be pro business.

Do you fellas think we could work to get them legal ?

I used a little motor for going longer distances until I got in better shape.

Putting a small helper motor on a bicycle helps more people get around on bicycles.

Can we change the laws to help people get around ?

They are saying gas will go $4 or higher soon.

You know like they did in AZ.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I am thinking getting the govt out of the regulating less than 49cc 20 mph like electric motors.

Why electric and not small gas motors in Florida ?

I can put a friction drive on a bicycle, total weight 12lbs or less.

Flip it down and start it when I get tired on a 40 mile ride then cut it off and pedal when I want.

Gov Scott says he hates needless govt regulation.

Craigslist dummies will flag motorized bike ads and argue about the Florida motorized bicycle laws.

Mainly because they are confusing. This hurts jobs, sales and Florida !

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The only reason for not having an electric bike is the cost of it.
My two 36v motors and batteries will take me 80 miles easily at 20mph.
If you want to go much faster than that, buy a motorcycle or scooter, simple as that.
The registration is a small price to pay for a gas bicycle (moped). No insurance needed and gas is cheap.

Gas motors are louder, worse for the environment and typically go faster than electric.
Trust me, 20mph is more than fast enough for a bicycle on the road. If I were travel much faster than that, I would definitely get into an accident, because most people driving don't expect a bicycle to be doing 30+ mph in a bike lane.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Yea, electric bikes are cool.

To be clear, I have a trike that will top 20mph and go well over 80 miles using only a human motor.

I passed an electric bicycle going up a hill a few weeks ago. I had a better gear and motor combo for climbing that hill. :)

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Yea, electric bikes are cool.

To be clear, I have a trike that will top 20mph and go well over 80 miles using only a human motor.

I passed an electric bicycle going up a hill a few weeks ago. I had a better gear and motor combo for climbing that hill. :)
Not my electric bike you won't.
Unless you have an ultra light trike and can maintain 25mph uphill because your the new lance Armstrong, my electric motor(s) will eat alive your human one. :)

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
To be fair he flew past me going down hill ! He was smoking a cig too. :)

And I can only top 20mph going down hill. :)

But I am getting better at stabbing cans at speed ! :)

That's my new goal ! Cans per hour ! :)

Last edited: