quality cdi's

GoldenMotor.com

belldude

Jul 21, 2008
Hey there. I have gone thru 2 cdi's now and am wondering if there is anyplace that one can purchase a better quality cdi to work with the 2stroke motor?:-||

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Don't know if your doing this or not. Keep your bike out of the rain if you can a little silicone on where the wires to the cdi come out (sealing that area might help on the cdi) I don't know of a better cdi.
Norman

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Don't know if your doing this or not. Keep your bike out of the rain if you can a little silicone on where the wires to the cdi come out (sealing that area might help on the cdi) I don't know of a better cdi.
Norman
THAT IS AN EXCELLENT TIP.

I noticed on very moist days my engine was having some issues, even when warm - I could not attribute the sluggishness etc to the fuel or anything else. As soon as it warmed and dried, bike went like a raped ape. So I decided to pull the wire and goozed it up with silicone grease and threaded it back in. Problem went away completely.

To the OP - how do you know your CDI is crapping, and do you try to fire it up with no spark load?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Our CDI's are sealed in epoxy and are non serviceable.
As far as I know, there are two CDI's- 2 wire and 3 wire.....but they aren't cheap.

Hasn't anyone experimented with a box from a motorcycle?

I have never had a CDI problem, so I have not tried anything else.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Your cdi's only wire that is removable is the spark plug wire it unscrews just like a cheap wine bottle cap lefty loosie righty tighty. Both ends of the spark plug wire unscrews cdi's end and the spark plug boot end.
Or like a pop bottle cap/ water bottle cap, if you have never messed with wine or pop.
So far I've never had a cdi that didn't work.
Norman

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey norm...have you ever heard of someone using a real cdi...what we are calling a cdi is just a coil pack...i was thinking of trying a cdi from a 2 stroke scooter....the one i found had a b+,b-,coil power and ground(primary igition),and 2 wire to the mag for a tack signal...this one is actually electronic i think...im really asking this because i was interested in variable spark timing...any thoughts???

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Noco
It's your money if you want to spend it on one thats up to you. I don't know if it will work or not.
Have you ever put a timing light on one of these engines? I have the timing doe's change with
the rpms. these so called cdi's that are on the china bikes do have more than just a coil in the little black box by the way.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ill have to cut one open...see whats in there...and that scooter cdi was under 30bucks...ill give it a shot...norm where did you time these things at???did you just put a mark on the magnito wheel there(brain farting what to call that)???i got the tools just lacking allittle 2 stroke knowledge...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I put a degree wheel on one engine found where tdc was and then hit it with the timing light to see where it was firing at around 20d. if I remember right as you speed it up the timing retards some around 4to 5d then comes back to around 20 d. I made an adapter to mount the degree wheel and had trouble keeping it on the crank when running. I got tired of it flying off so I stopped before the degree wheel got a direct hit on me.

Last edited: