Whats that sqweak?

GoldenMotor.com

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
I just finished a maintenance session on my RAW 50cc engine. Had some power loss and a lot of rattle (chain I suspect) at high rpm. Problem solved by repositioning the engine, it had shifted slightly, AND retightening the nuts where carb affixes to cylinder, it was coming loose causing my engine to loose compression or something???. Now when I back up the bike with engine off I hear kind of a metallic sqweaking, not unlike the sqweak of a screen door, coming from the general ddirection of the motor. Could I be needing to grease something in the clutch assembly. Not the clutch plate but I'm thinking more behind that like the shaft that has the sprocket attached to it which the chain attaches to OR something behind the smaller gear connected to the piston rod??? I ask about these items in particular because I have done nothing with then sionce receiving the engine. FYI I'm at say the last of the break in period of the engine and am continuing to use a 1:16 gas:oops:il mixture for probably one more gallon of gas.
Any thought appreciated. I really don't think its wheel bearing or anything like that, thanks

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
i suggest taking the clutch arm/plate off and putting some grease in where the ball bearing is at...take the pin out first...b/c rolling backward would require the clutch in and that may be the squeek area...its prone to do that.

Dizzy

Jul 6, 2009
Jackson, Mi
I noticed a squeak as well latley only when clutch is disengaged or engine is off, and I'm about 150 miles past the 500 mile break in, and I think it is coming from somewhere behind the clutch as well, for a while I just thought it was the chain tensioner, but after spraying it with lube and still getting the squeak. I got off the bike and hel my ear close while i walked it and it seems to be comein from the drive axle somewhere behind the clutch.

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
That is kind of what I was thinking. Is it a difficult process to get to the "clutch rod and ball"? I don't know what those are but can check some schematics to find out.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
nope, get a screw driver and take out the 3 screws from the plate/cover that holds in the clutch arm. be careful to catch the ball and pin if/when they fall out.

mvandor

Feb 28, 2009
Springfield, Missouri
oh, OK- I thought this was refering to something making up part of the shaft connecting the large sprocket on the right side to the gear the chain is wrapped around. I guess I was wondering if anything there OR the shaft the small sprocket (driving the large sprocket) is attached to needed any lubing or maintenace at any point. I receive this entire engine in the mail and aside from a few parts to connect and maintain i really know little about exactly what maint. is required throughout its lifetime. Hence my studying of prev. posts that will continue, but i hadn't come across this so I posted the question- thankyou all for your assistance

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the clutch's small shaft and ball bearing will howl like crazy if it get a little bit dry that is where I'd look and add some grease to the ball and shaft the noise should stop if its the problem.
Norman