How to mount exhaust muffler for no peddle hit

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I always had a problem with having the muffler and cranks touch, so my brother told me what they do in car manufacture and repair. To make things fit, all you need to do is take a mallot and make a dent in the spot where they touch. This photo shows the half milimeter gap between crank and muffler after the fix.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
HT,
You can also bend the pedal crank. It looks as if yours is already bent but in the wrong direction. Remove the pedal and use a length of pipe over the crank to apply leverage. bend it just a little at a time and slowly until you get the clearance you need. Hope this helps. You also want to be careful hammering on that pipe if its attached to the engine. You could damage the cylinder beating on it. Be careful.
Tom

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I took the pipe off and struck it on the work bench with a lead mallot. I'd rather dent the pipe than risk ruining the cranks by bending those.
I had no other way of securing the muffler to bend it off the bike, so I did this. Works well with no adverse effects on engine performance.