Seat Post

GoldenMotor.com

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I picked up a Point Beach for a 2 stroke conversion. I'd like to move the seat back a few inches. Is there anyone selling "adaptors" to set the seat back some? I've seen "lay back" posts. Will these work? Is this what they're for? I'll be flipping the handlebars as well. When I ride it, I feel like I'm leaning back. :confused: Feels kinda wierd and with a bad back, I won't last long riding that way.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy GF. There are a bunch around and I am waiting on the mail for one for my Point beach. Will let you know. I don't see other then size (ID of seat tube matching the OD of the post), how it could not work well.

Love the Point beaches but they do have you sitting oddly. I feel like my elbows are in and hands out and not far enough back to rest on the seat but rather leaning on the peddles. The front fender really does go fast on em. Had one bracket rot threw in about 6 weeks.

But man they look good!!!

I am also looking for wider handle bars.

Spooky has em. Could give them a call. Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Bent Seat Post with Support 1"

Edit. also ment to say they ride way better as a mb then a bicycle. First time I rode it as a bike I almost brought it back. then with an engine it was way better ridding.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Thanks for that input, Dan. It's what I needed. I think I saw some bent posts at a local bike shop. Just so happens I need a new chain whatchajigee so I'll pick up the post at the same time. ;)

I gotta agree. Riding that thing as a bike just doesn't work. <LOL> I'll keep an eye on the fender trusses. Mine were rusty when I bought the thing. I'm debating if I should just remove them and get somekind of aftermarket fenders.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Please post pics if you do get one. The way the seat "dips" into the frame really looks good. I am wondering how it will look over all with the bent seat post.

The fender thing, shoring it up might be cheaper. I never got around to it and ended up just taking em off and giving them away. Really took a lot away from the looks of the bike. I am thinking of getting black plastic ones and spray painting them with rattle can chrome. The stuff is amazing and looks really close to chrome on metal. Dunno about plastic. I will post pics if it works. (maybe black or red and match the frame) Just got a Honda 4 stroke and the red plastic right side guard matches the red frame!! So am going to try and make her pretty again

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Grouchy,
I'm currently building a Schwinn Jaguar which I've been told is very similiar if not identical to the Point Beach frame. I made my own 'lay-back' seat post from 1" bar stock. The seat end needs to be turned down to 7/8" to accomodate the seat and I gave myself 6" of travel to the rear. My bars are also flipped so I know all about that werird posture stuff. I'll attach a phot of the as yet unfinished Jag so you can get an idea of what the 'lay-back post will look like before you purchase one. Oh, and by the way; I'm the guy who got Dan's fenders.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh Man! That is awesome 2Door!! the sprocket, chain tensioner, handlebars, seat... You found a way to make a really cool Board Track Racer like MB/replica for a few hundred bucks. You really have to do a thread. Paint it black and you could sell a bunch of those real fast.

Looking close at her, I can not see a bit of difference between her and a Point Beach. I knew they were close but think you are right and they are identical.

Side note, we were talking about biz cards last night. I did not think of it until you left but I put one of mine in the box mailed to you. It is one of the magnetic ones we were talking about. Printed on preprinted stock to save $ on ink. they work great.

Edit; If it is the exact same bike, the dang kick-stands are junk. I have beat the forward lip or stop with a hammer so the bike would stand. But is back to dropping the bike at the worst times. Norman told me to just put a bolt in it. Great idea and I will get around to it. Might just cut some washers to make the spring tighter. I dunno

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Didn't see a business card in the box with the fenders. I hope I didn't pitch it with the box and peanuts they were packed in. Rats!
Your seat post is exactly like the one I made for the Jag. They're a little heavy but not so much as to drag you down. I love the way my Jag sits now; really comfortable with the seat moved back. I'll ship it Tuesday. Let me know what you think. I just painted the fuel tank today, first coat of blue but I need to get the white stripes on it then the bike will be ready for a test run. I'm getting anxious. I've put too much time in this one and concentrated on the asthetics. Hope I didn't screw up.
Tom

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Here's a pic of my new lay back seat post.

2door, now that I set myself back a bit, I no longer have to flip the bars. What I did do, though, is to turn them down a bit so my arms and wrists aren't always bent in different directions.

Dan, I got this one from a local bike shop. It's a 1" tube squeezed down to 3/4" for the seat clamp. The only draw back with this is my PB tube is just a bit larger. Nothing a little duct tape couldn't handle. Also, you really gotta dog down the seat clamp or the seat will try to twist around the tube. That Schwinn seat is going. I'll be spending another 40 bucks for a more comfortable and nicer looking seat.

The setback of the tube is just right where I can pedal with almost full extension of my legs without having to raise the seat. I hate feeling like I'm riding a kiddie bike, all scrunched up. Now it feels like a semi recumbent. Oh yeah, I'll be looking for something better than the duct tape. It's just what I had on hand..........all the time. laff

Now I have to figure out how to install my new chrome springer forks. The tube is too long and I need spacers. Also, if i shorten the tube to the stock length, the anchor piece for the spring bolt dimensions change. The angle gets way off and I wouldn't be able to thread the bolt in. I decided to leave it long and just put spacers. Gotta make another visit to the bike shop. Here's a pic of my PB with the new front end.

Right now, because I can't secure that upper bolt, there's lots of lateral play. I believe someone else had the same problem for a bit. My head set is already tight.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Grouchy,
I'd suggest cutting the steering tube to the length of your original plus the thickness of the spring perch. Do not remove the spring center bolt, loosen it if you feel it necessary but flex the fork (spring) to get the perch over the steering tube. Trying to get that center bolt started again after you have the perch on the tube is darn near impossible and you run the risk if crossthreading it. I ran into the same problem on my old Roadmaster and found that flexing the fork was much easier than getting the bolt back in. Also I'd suggest either double nutting the spring bolt or using loc-tite on the threads. Hope this helps out. By the way, that's a very pretty bike, sir.
Tom
I just read this and realized that I should explain what I mean by flexing the fork. Simply apply weight to the front of the bike, enough to compress the spring which will allow the perch to be slid down in place. Also when cutting the steering tube you might consider running the nut down past your cut point then using it to clean up the threads after cutting by backing it off over the end where you cut.
Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
GF, Lookin' great with the springers!

I took the seat post out to paint it today and filed the gap a lil wider so the clamp could get more purchase. Will post pics tomorrow, but here is one with 2Door's seat post (unpainted) Really does make a big difference in ride comfort, Thanks Tom.

P.S. You were right about that seat 2Door. Not enough cushion.

Attachments

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Grouchy,
I'd suggest cutting the steering tube to the length of your original plus the thickness of the spring perch. Do not remove the spring center bolt, loosen it if you feel it necessary but flex the fork (spring) to get the perch over the steering tube. Trying to get that center bolt started again after you have the perch on the tube is darn near impossible and you run the risk if crossthreading it. I ran into the same problem on my old Roadmaster and found that flexing the fork was much easier than getting the bolt back in. Also I'd suggest either double nutting the spring bolt or using loc-tite on the threads. Hope this helps out. By the way, that's a very pretty bike, sir.
I shall do just that, sir. Cut that puppy. :) I understand what you're saying about flexing the fork. No problemo and thanks for the tip. (^) Now to find some time to work on it. Oh, thanks for the compliment and ditto back. I like how low that seat sits on your bike. Too bad I need that extra bracing. :oops:

Got our new kitchen cabinets coming in tomorrow so I'll be busy for the next few days. The wife also sprang a surprise on me as well. Seems the office girls and a few teachers from her school decided to have a picnic on Friday. I got volunteered to cook. So Friday's out too. :( <sigh>

Thanks Dan. With some of the tips 2door gave me, I'll be able to make them functional. All show, no go for now.

zendiecut

Apr 4, 2009
Boston suburb
Grouchy,

I have built a MB out of a PB as well. I bought it because I thought it looked cool and would look better with the engine. It looks sweet!! The other reason got it was because I thought the aluminum frame would reduce the weight. Come to find out, the Jag and PB are about the same weight. Also, the steel frame of the Jag is much stronger. No issues as of yet. Only about 350 miles on the bike right now.

Can you tell me where you got the front end? I'd like to put one on my PB too.

Jack

Jack

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Grouchy,
Can you tell me where you got the front end? I'd like to put one on my PB too.

Jack

Jack
Actually, I found this springer at one of the larger bike shops in Honolulu, Eki Cyclery. Been around for well over 50 years. They've got an amazing number if bikes on inventory in the showroom. I was drooling, thinking how this one or that one would look with a motor. They even have an "MP" bike in olive drab and faux leather seat and grips.

I asked a saleswoman if they had springers and she led me to a glass display case where they keep a bunch of retro repros and she lifted out a chrome springer. 50 bucks. Places like Spookytooth, I think, also sell springers. They're less expensive, but I gotta look at shipping to the islands. 50 bucks is cheaper than if I bought it online. Anyway, if you do a search for bike parts, it'll come up with a bunch of places that sell springers and other cool retro stuff.

The only caveat with this type is it's kind of a "universal" fit. The down tube is about 2" longer than the stock fork's tube. Had me puzzled as to the fit, but 2door cleared that up for me. Cut it. (^)

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Oh yeah, I'll be looking for something better than the duct tape. It's just what I had on hand..........all the time
ChoppersUS had Schwinn Conversion seat post shim kit and Bike Stop has a complete line of seat post shims for any occasion

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Oh yeah, I'll be looking for something better than the duct tape. It's just what I had on hand..........all the time
ChoppersUS had Schwinn Conversion seat post shim kit and Bike Stop has a complete line of seat post shims for any occasion
Thanks Gene! Just so happens that Eki is an old time Schwinn dealer. I'll be going back there and will ask about it. :)