Wheel bearings?

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
An indirect answer: I had major problems with the bearings on TWO Walmart Two-Niners I had. The axles regularly snapped, the cones would loosen, and both bearings' cups eventually collapsed. I ended up replacing the last one with a a cheap used BMX bearing with a hollow axle (quick-release), and smaller (more) bearings. This one has been in heavy daily service for over a year, and hasn't lost any of its smoothness and tightness.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Once a riding season. Before the season starts I repack then I don't worry about them until the next season.

The quality of your chosen grease is important too. A high quality lubricant will outlast a cheaper grade and riding style and terrain also play into it. If you keep to paved streets, roads and trails you shouldn't have to repack as often as the guy who likes off road riding on dirt and sand.

Steering gear doesn't require the diigence of wheel bearings but cranks need attention about as often as the wheels. I do mine once a season too.

I'm sure you'll get some more opinions so stay tuned.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Same here... once a season will do, but I also ride mine all year round so about once every 3 to 4 months. I use Kendall Super Blue grease in mine simply because that's what I use at the shop. It's not sticky like the red stuff but it does stay put and protect really well without bleeding out like some of the aeroshell greases.
I did have to polish out a bearing race on one of my wheels because it had a slight roughness, but after cleaning the balls and the races I found a small nick and that's all it takes to cause the roughness, but that'll also lead to failure if not taken care of.
I do eventually want to switch over to cartridge type bearings since they're sealed and when they wear to a certain point ya just switch them out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave is right. Bearing quality plays into this too. Poor bearings are going to fail eventually no matter how often they're lubed. Also pre-load adjustment is important to bearing life. Should have mentioned that earlier. Thanks for bringing it up Dave.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is the grease I have started using in all the bearings on my bikes, super stringy and tacky, will not wash out and handles extreme pressure loads and stays where you put it, some of the best grease for wheel bearing and cranks I have found.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/221-moly-ultra.html

Moly Ultra is compounded from the finest select high viscosity index solvent refined severely hydro-finished 100% pure paraffin base oils available. Blended into these 100% pure paraffin base oils is an aluminum complex base thickener and selected additives. This formulation provides Moly Ultra with the following outstanding performance features.

*Excellent pumpability characteristics for use in centralized lube systems.

*Excellent resistance to water washout and water spray off.

*Excellent shear and mechanical stability.

*Excellent anti-wear and extreme pressure load carrying properties.

100% reversibility. This property allows Moly Ultra to have the ability to retain its grease-like consistency and remain in the bearings during periods of heat, high shockloading, extreme pressure, and severe mechanical action.
*Excellent rust and oxidation inhibiting characteristics.

*Excellent resistance to oxidation.

*A high dropping point.

Incorporated into this blend of high viscosity index paraffin base stocks, aluminum complex thickener and selected additives is molybdenum disulfide. The molybdenum disulfide gives Moly Ultra the ability to act as a "back-stop" lubricant when the grease base is either destroyed or wiped away due to unexpected loads, start-up or other conditions that exceed the capabilities of the grease base's fluid film lubrication. This "backstop" is created by molybdenum disulfide's natural affinity for metal surfaces. The molybdenum disulfide plates to the metal surface to form a long lasting solid lubricant film. This solid lubricant film will withstand pressures up to 500,000 pounds per square inch, giving the metal surfaces of the bearings the protection they need during periods of high speed, high shock loads and extreme pressure.

The moly's solid lubricant film also helps to reduce friction. The reduction in friction results in reduced wear and reduction in contact area temperature. This in turn leads to increased equipment life, less downtime and extended lubrication cycles.

Moly Ultra also has excellent adhesive properties. Because of these excellent adhesive properties, Moly Ultra will not wash out, pound out, splatter or squeeze out under the heaviest load or vibrations.

Moly Ultra can be applied either manually or by a heavy-duty automatic lube system. Moly Ultra #1 has an operating temperature of -10ºF to 350ºF.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
since I've become so sold on the grease I been using in my bearings that Schaeffer makes, I have been thinking about trying a couple other of their products such as the 2 smoker oils, i have some friends I work with that swear by the Schaeffer products in everything they own from Diesel trucks, pickups and all their farm equipment so I'm thinking of trying some other products this company makes to see what i think of them, specifically right now I'm thinking of ordering a bottle of the 2 cycle oil, they have two types so I'm not sure which I'm gonna try first, but I'm gonna tune one of my engines for 40 or 50:1 and see how it performs with one of these oils.

http://youtu.be/aYiU_u1n0Mc

Blended from the finest high-quality severely hydrofinished polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluids and refined severely hydrofinished 100% paraffin base oils available, Supreme 7000™ Synthetic Plus 2-Cycle Oil is a concentrated ashless two-cycle additive package with the following performance advantages.
Superior detergency to prevent ring sticking and compression loss.
Superior lubricity to prevent scuffing and engine seizure.
Excellent protection against deposit induced preignition.
Superior resistance to formation of deposits that can cause
exhaust port blocking and the fouling of spark plugs.
A very high level of engine cleanliness.
Superior high temperature performance and protection for air-cooled engines that call for TC-W or TC-W II type 2-cycle oils.
Excellent rust and corrosion protection, especially during extended storage periods.
Excellent miscibility and fluidity.

Further blended into the package are two proven frictional modifiers Micron Moly® and Schaeffer's own proprietary additive, Penetro 90®. Once plated, these two frictional modifiers form a tenacious, slippery, long-lasting lubricant film that prevents the metal surfaces from coming into contact with each other. This results in increased engine life and reduced maintenance costs.

Supreme 7000™ Synthetic Plus 2-Cycle Oil is pre-diluted for easy and fast mixing at all temperatures. It is well suited for use in gasoline, pre-mix and oil injected engines in all climates.

I also use their red tacky Grease, its a very good grease and the consistency of it reminds me of the Lucas High Tack Red Grease.

#229 Ultra Red Supreme Grease
Moly Ultra protects equipment even under the most adverse conditions

Ultra Red Supreme (#229) is a synthetic blend, versatile, multipurpose extreme pressure grease that is specially formulated for use in all types of heavy duty automotive, construction, mining, farming and industrial equipment. Ultra Red Supreme protects equipment even under the most adverse conditions of excessive pressure, heat, cold, moisture and high and low speeds.

Ultra Red Supreme is compounded from a unique blend of the finest select high viscosity index solvent refined, severely hydrofinished 100% paraffin base oils and Polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluids available. Blended into this unique blend are an aluminum complex base thickener, carefully selected extreme pressure, anti-wear and rust and oxidation additives and unique polymer base additive system. This formulation provides Ultra Red Supreme with the following performance features.
Excellent pumpability characteristics for use in centralized lube systems.
Very good to excellent low temperature pumpability.
Excellent resistance to water washout and water spray off.
Excellent shear and mechanical stability.
Excellent anti-wear and extreme pressure load carrying properties
Excellent reversibility. This property allows Ultra Red Supreme to retain it's grease like consistency and remain in the bearings during periods of heat, high shock loading, extreme pressure and severe mechanical action.
Excellent resistance to bleeding.
Excellent rust and oxidation inhibiting characteristics.
Excellent resistance to oxidation.
A high dropping point.
Excellent adhesive properties in order to provide the Ultra Red Supreme with the ability to resist wash out, pound out, splatter or squeeze out during periods of high loads, vibration, shock loading, extreme pressure and severe mechanical action.

Incorporated into this blend of high viscosity index 100% paraffin base oils, aluminum complex thickener, selected additives and the polymer base additive system is synthesized moly and a proprietary solid lubricant. The synthesized moly and this proprietary solid lubricant acting in synergism with each other plate themselves to the metal surfaces of the bearings. Once plated to the metal surfaces of the bearings, the synthesized moly and the proprietary solid lubricant form a long lasting solid lubricant film that is capable of withstanding pressures up to 500,000 pounds per square inch, thus giving the metal surfaces of the bearings the protection they need during periods of high speed, high shock loads and extreme pressure.

The solid lubricant film that is formed by the synergism of the moly and the proprietary solid lubricant also helps to reduce friction and acts as a "backstop" lubricant if the grease base is either destroyed or wipe away due to unexpected loads, star-up, or other conditions which exceed the capabilities of the grease base's fluid film lubrication.

The reduction in friction and the ability to act as a "backstop" lubricant results in reduced wear and a reduction in contact area temperature. This in turn leads to increased equipment life, less downtime and extended lubrication cycles.

Ultra Red Supreme has excellent rust and oxidation inhibiting characteristics, water resistance, shear and mechanical stability and good mechanical and pumpability properties.

Ultra Red Supreme also has superior adhesive and cohesive properties. Because of these adhesive and cohesive properties Ultra Red Supreme will not wash out, pound out, splatter or squeeze out even under the heaviest loads or vibrating.

I use this Red Grease on the fork stem bearings and I pack it into the idler/tensioner roller bearings that I use in them since they come with next to no grease in them at all and this stuff will not wash out, I've got a roller still going on one bike after about 1000 miles and the bearings are as tight as new still so I think this is some good stuff and I use it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know this is off topic and I'm sorry for the mini high-jack here but just thought some here might find the interesting since we're on the lubrication topic.

Like I said I have friends that wont run anything but Schaeffer products in everything they own.

Here is a video of what was found in a Ford 5.4L after 1 million miles after running Schaeffer oil for it's entire life.

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/hDF1zcaxrNU

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Map I might have bought some of that grease but just got a tube of that
Lucas Red n Tacky to try.
Fly
The Lucas Red & Tacky is very good grease and its easy to find at many auto parts stores.

You wont go wrong with it at all and since my local Schaeffer dealer is out of business now I may go to the Lucas next myself, but i think I have enough of the grease I have now to last me for many years unless I get crazy with it...LOL!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's definitely impressive to see after a million miles and the ink stamp on the bearing is still visible...
Yep it is, the ranchers and a few other around here that run Schaeffer oil exclusively swear that everything they put it in runs noticeably better and they can tell that their powerstroke and cummins diesels have better power and fuel economy.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to some of the claims I see about a lot of different things since I used to work in the auto parts business and I've seen a lot of snake oil products back then, but then again I've seen some that actually did what they claimed like the System48 Plus engine treatment which most people haven't even heard of before, I've actually seen engines that ran like a dog and could hardly pull themselves out of a mud hole come alive and gain all kinds of pep and cooler running temps after using the System48plus oil treatment.

I know some things can really make a difference, but most are just empty claims like the claims by the guys back in those days that swore their car was faster after putting a set of Chrome Edelbrock valve covers and a clear distributor cap on a 8.5:1 compression 305 with a two barrel carb, single outlet 2" exhaust through asuper quiet muffler and 308 gears in the diff....LOL!

I also know a good mechanic that worked at the stores shop that sold the Schaeffer products, he was a skeptic as well when they first started selling the oils and additives, but after a while he said he had to admit that the claims they make are on the up & up, he said he was sold on their products as well after seeing the results of how the diesel truck ran after they were switched over to the oild and additives, they are expensive and not for everyones budget for sure but I do believe they're good top of the line products and Schaeffer has been around for a very long time like early 1800's so they aren't a new kid on the block by any means.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Hey I don't doubt you. I never quit looking for better lube be leave on that. In my
kart racing days I never quit looking for better lubes. I handled so many different
lubes for our kart racing engines. I was a dealer for Amzoil, Klotz, Ect. But there is
always oils out here that can be better. I may try there 2 cycle on my first build
in the future.

For now I like Bel-Ray H1-R. Great oil but very $$$$$. But heck , just how many
gal of oil do we really burn? Ya I may buy some when I use what I have my friend.

Fly

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey I don't doubt you. I never quit looking for better lube be leave on that. In my
kart racing days I never quit looking for better lubes. I handled so many different
lubes for our kart racing engines. I was a dealer for Amzoil, Klotz, Ect. But there is
always oils out here that can be better. I may try there 2 cycle on my first build
in the future.

For now I like Bel-Ray H1-R. Great oil but very $$$$$. But heck , just how many
gal of oil do we really burn? Ya I may buy some when I use what I have my friend.

Fly
Yes sir...