Rear Wheel Issues

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
When I first put together my motorised bike the chain idler yanked out some of my spokes and now i have fixed that problem but I have been to lazy to fix the wheel and now I am feeling the consquences. The bike sort of struggles as a result of the wheel being warped and especially uphills. The wheel rubs on one side against the frame of the bike. Is it to late to fix it or is it recoverable? Please help!

Regards,
Lachiepower0402

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
When I first put together my motorised bike the chain idler yanked out some of my spokes and now i have fixed that problem but I have been to lazy to fix the wheel and now I am feeling the consquences. The bike sort of struggles as a result of the wheel being warped and especially uphills. The wheel rubs on one side against the frame of the bike. Is it to late to fix it or is it recoverable? Please help!

Regards,
Lachiepower0402
If the wheel is that warped I would replace it, with lots of time and careful tweaking on a jig made up to secure wheel while pressure can be applied in certain key areas it may be possible to get it back in close to straight, but replacing it would be the best bet in my opinion.

Is it a coaster brake wheel or is it a multi speed wheel?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Truing a wheel is time consuming, but not that difficult as long as you have the right size spoke wrench. I usually check and adjust the wheel after the rag joint goes on (loosely) by putting it back in the frame and using a brake pad as a reference point. Once the wheel is true then I true the sprocket while the wheel is still in the frame.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good answers all, guys. I'll add that the OP could also take the wheel to a bike shop and pay a few bucks to have it done if he isn't comfortable tackling the task himself.

Some shops might not want to touch a wheel with a rag joint and sprocket attached. You'll have to ask or remove the sprocket/rag joint then reinstall after the wheel has been trued. But as was suggested, check for wobbles after the sprocket is back on.

Whatever, I highly suggest you get the wheel fixed before riding the bike anymore. A total wheel failure could hurt you.
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My post was pointed at a wheel that is bent severely rather than just a wheel that needs a little spoke adjustment, I agree that spoke adjustment can be an easy fix if the wheel isn't bent to bad, For some reason I was under the impression that the wheel was severely bent beyond what a simple spoke adjustment would cure...

Yep I'd remove sprocket and coupler rag joint and just take it to a local bike shop and have it trued up if thats all it needa and you dont have the tool or know how to get it done yourself.

Map
.wee.

Mar 5, 2014
Eastwood
I don't know what was meant in one the first posts about coaster wheel or multi speed sorry but my wheel is just from a mountain bike.

I was orginally considering to take it to a bike shop but I was under the impression that it would be a massive price like everything else is at the bike shop. But if it is only cheap like $30 or so I will do it there.

Regards,
Lachiepower0402

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've seen rims bent so badly they would not roll due to locking on the frame trued up and fixed good as new with some time and a few spokes.
Unless the rim is kinked or dented, it IS fixable.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I guess then it would all depend on the condition of the outter rim itself. Is it in good condition, without any major bends or damage and just needs to be trued, or is in bad shape and need to be replaced?
If it's the first, I would suggest taking off the rag joint, and either true the wheel yourself, you can buy a good spoke wrench for $10, it is a useful skill to have, if you broke spokes once, I can guarantee it will happen again. I have had to do it at least half a dozen times. OR you can take it bike shop and have it trued. I have had mine done for as little as $10, but it depends on the shop.
If it's the second it may not even be worth repairing. The cost of parts on labor to repair low to mid end bike rim is not worth it. One option may be to go down to a thrift store and see if they have any bikes that you can buy cheap for the rear rim. Not to mention you would have a spare parts bike for anything else you need. Or buy a new rim from a bike shop. If you go that route make sure you get one with heavy duty spokes on it.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess then it would all depend on the condition of the outter rim itself. Is it in good condition, without any major bends or damage and just needs to be trued, or is in bad shape and need to be replaced?
If it's the first, I would suggest taking off the rag joint, and either true the wheel yourself, you can buy a good spoke wrench for $10, it is a useful skill to have, if you broke spokes once, I can guarantee it will happen again. I have had to do it at least half a dozen times. OR you can take it bike shop and have it trued. I have had mine done for as little as $10, but it depends on the shop.
If it's the second it may not even be worth repairing. The cost of parts on labor to repair low to mid end bike rim is not worth it. One option may be to go down to a thrift store and see if they have any bikes that you can buy cheap for the rear rim. Not to mention you would have a spare parts bike for anything else you need. Or buy a new rim from a bike shop. If you go that route make sure you get one with heavy duty spokes on it.
Ditto..........