tire rub

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I have recently bought a CST cyclops 24" x 2 .4 wheel and i dont want my chain to rub a hole in the sidewall. what can i do to move the chain from the sidewall so i have more clearance

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help if we knew what engine/drive chain system you have. If the engine is a standard Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame, and the drive and driven sprockets are now properly aligned you have a bit of a challenge. You can always space the sprocket futher to the left, away from the hub, but that will alter your chain/sprocket alignment.

It sometimes becomes necessary to off-set the engine to the left. This naturally requires custom engine mounts. That will mean some imaginative metal work and welding.
I have two bikes with 3" x 24" rear wheels and the engines are off-set 9/16" to the left of center.

One other option is to have the rim 'dished'. That requires the spoke be adjusted to pull the rim off center from the center of the hub. A job best left to a good rim/spoke guy unless you know what you're doing.

Good luck.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I used a second rubber spacer under my sprocket on the Jesse James with the fat 3" tires.
While it worked fine, I needed more as the chain still rubbed. Just be careful assembling the ragjoint and it's no harder than usual.
One of the aftermarket sprocket adapters might also solve this issue if you have the budget.