Trike Conversions Schwinn Motorized Chopper Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here's a picture of a Schwinn Stingray Motorized Chopper Bicycle, Custom Built as a Trike with 3 Grubee Engines.

I can't remember who built this bike, I vaguely remember one of two members told me about this build, and those two might have been the following members:

azBill or Helmutt Cycles, sent me this picture, it's a Schwinn Stingray Chopper Bicycle Custom Trike with three (3) Grubee Bicycle Engines mounted over rear Trike axle.

Can anyone tell me more about this build?

Here's the picture below:

C.H.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I think that was being built by freedom cycles in Tucson ;)
not sure if they ever got it finished :(
Dave31 might know (he used to wrench for them)
Thanks, Bill for your reply, and I believe you are correct maybe it was Helmut Cycles aka Richard Kramer, and or Dave31 who told me about his guy's 3-engined Schwinn Stingray Chopper Trike...

BTW, Bill are you and Vinnie still Custom Building any Schwinn Stingray Chopper Trikes, sure would make your Stretch Cruiser fun...Converted to a Trike...

C.H.
P.S. if anyone has a picture they could post here of other Custom Schwinn Stingray Chopper Trikes that would be appreciated.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yeah I wrenched on that trike but it was put off to the side and I never got around to finishing it. Not sure what ever happened to it? All that work and i never got to ride it

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Did the engines ever run? I'm wondering if they'd have to be "timed" to the shaft so that the firing cycles were balanced. Either all firing the same, or maybe 120° apart or something.
EDIT: Actually, that wouldn't work. One pull of the clutch would throw them out of wack anyway.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Did the engines ever run? I'm wondering if they'd have to be "timed" to the shaft so that the firing cycles were balanced. Either all firing the same, or maybe 120° apart or something.
EDIT: Actually, that wouldn't work. One pull of the clutch would throw them out of wack anyway.
I never saw or got them running, not sure if anybody ever finished that trike from what i saw i doubt it.

I did think about that but wasn't sure if it was going to be a problem or not? Figured I'd just build it and see what happened and deal with the problems as they came. But never got far enough to get them running.

The last thing i was doing was trying to figure out a electric start system. But other project became priority and i had to move on to something else.

superbee

Apr 26, 2009
kansas
When you have multiple powerplants on one vehicle, having any kind of relation to each other is not required unless the CRANKS are connected. In this case it doesnt have any effect of where they are at in the rotation compared to each other.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I only see one real problem getting the 3 carbs in sinc. I like the over all idea and look but on a set up like that Id have to fab a intake and run one carb.

Scary G

Aug 15, 2012
B.C. Canada
I only see one real problem getting the 3 carbs in sinc. I like the over all idea and look but on a set up like that Id have to fab a intake and run one carb.
Being concentic carbs they are relatively easy to sync. If you have a vacuum guage its easy to measure each one and set the cable accordingly. If you don't then you can use the old trick we used to use on the old Triumph Bonnevilles. Get a buddy to slowly turn the throttle while you have a finger in each carb. Set the cables so the slides start to move at the same time. This gets you pretty close. In this case you would have to set 2 then the third.