If I could only take care of those exhaust flames.

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Your best bet to go unnoticed would be to only ride it at night. Like around 3am.
But then again, those pulse jets are LOUD!
Just hope your neighbors are hard sleepers... ;)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Your best bet to go unnoticed would be to only ride it at night. Like around 3am.
But then again, those pulse jets are LOUD!
Just hope your neighbors are hard sleepers... ;)
130 decibels. I guess the flames are the least of my worries with that noise, Looks like fun though.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Couldn't get through the idiotic camera-mugging and "outrageous" music. How about letting us actually hear the jet?

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Couldn't get through the idiotic camera-mugging and "outrageous" music. How about letting us actually hear the jet?
It's a pulse jet. If you wanna know how it sounds, imagine farting into a safety cone pointed at a megaphone... continuously. They're amazingly simple to build. From what I gather, the concept is nearly identical to our 2-stroke expansion chambers

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's a pulse jet. If you wanna know how it sounds, imagine farting into a safety cone pointed at a megaphone... continuously. They're amazingly simple to build. From what I gather, the concept is nearly identical to our 2-stroke expansion chambers
How do you minimize those car hood melting flames shooting out the back though? I'm in California and I don't want to set anything on fire out here.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
It's not a pulse jet, Gear; says it's valveless. It's a ramjet & pretty ingenious
too. The exhaust next to the intake for added heat. It's essentially
nothing more than a red hot tube with a combustion chamber in the middle.
We built one when I was a kid back in the early '60s in the N.A.R.(National
Association of Rocketry). We even developed a vertical takeoff/gliding
return rocket with Vern Estes, a concept that became the space shuttle.
Scary what a bunch of kids with highly flammable materials can do.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's not a pulse jet, Gear; says it's valveless. It's a ramjet & pretty ingenious
too. The exhaust next to the intake for added heat. It's essentially
nothing more than a red hot tube with a combustion chamber in the middle.
We built one when I was a kid back in the early '60s in the N.A.R.(National
Association of Rocketry). We even developed a vertical takeoff/gliding
return rocket with Vern Estes, a concept that became the space shuttle.
Scary what a bunch of kids with highly flammable materials can do.
It seems to have no problem propelling him down the road. If the ends of the tube could be aimed skyward you wouldn't accidentally melt someones car hood behind you in traffic. Not sure it would even work then though.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Cops?
Anyone who who brings a pulse jet or rocket propelled bike to a SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing event will get a free entry for themselves and friends. (Does not include gate fee at Willow Springs)
If I can get those flames shooting skyward, I don't see what the big deal is other than the noise really.

I want to see the CA statute that specifically outlaws a Pulse or Ram Jet engine on a bicycle. I know the idiots in Sacramento have no clue what either one is. Is it even legally considered an "engine"? LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Well the thrust is directed by the angle of those exhausts so of course they would have to pointing directly to the rear. Those flames will definitely set things on fire real fast. May not go over too well with the Police coming up behind you. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Pulse or Ram Jet..... flames, intense leg roasting, frame melting, heat and noise seem to be the common theme with either one. Maybe not so good for a daily commuter?

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
They're both loud, but I think a pulse is more obnoxious.
They called 'em buzz bombs, but that does really cover it
at close range. A ramjet is more like a vacuum cleaner on
steroids. I really like Collin Furze's 70 mph Hoverround. I'm
getting one for my eightieth birthday.