New York State Instructions on registering a "Homemade/Unique" vehicle.

GoldenMotor.com

Kermit42

Jun 12, 2012
Buffalo, NY
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
VS-100 (2/11)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR REGISTERING A HOMEMADE VEHICLE
A homemade vehicle is a motor vehicle (car, truck, or motorcycle) constructed or assembled using new or used parts, and is intended for the
personal use of the owner/registrant. A homemade vehicle is not the reconstruction or alteration of a motor vehicle produced by a manufacturer,
and is not a vehicle constructed or assembled using new or used parts for the purpose of resale.
If there is any question as to whether or not your vehicle will be considered a homemade vehicle, please consult with a Vehicle Safety Technical
Analyst at (518) 474-5282 (select option #4), Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Follow these steps to register a homemade vehicle:
− Plan Your Project
STEP 1
Identify the type of vehicle that you will be constructing or assembling, either a passenger vehicle (car), commercial vehicle (truck), or
G
motorcycle.
Retain the originals of all proofs of ownership and receipts. Be sure that they are in the name of the registration or title applicant.
G
− Obtain The Application Package
STEP 2
You can request an application package by mail or phone:
G
Mail: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Vehicle Safety Technical Services
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 111
Albany, NY 12228
Phone: (518) 474-5282 (select option #4)
− Complete the Vehicle Construction/Assembly
STEP 3
Be sure your vehicle is properly equipped and that it meets all of the applicable standards (follow the instructions provided in the
G
application package).
− Obtain a Weight Certificate
STEP 4
Transport the vehicle to a facility that has a certified scale and obtain a certified weight ticket that indicates the actual weight of the
G
completed vehicle. Please note: The vehicle cannot be driven to the weighing facility.
For information on the location of a licensed weighmaster near you, please contact:
G
New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
Bureau of Weights and Measures
10B Airline Drive
Albany, NY 12235
(518) 457-3146
[email protected]
− Acquire Vehicle Photographs
STEP 5
You must provide four photographs that clearly show the front, rear and both sides of the completed vehicle.
G
We recommend using a digital camera to photograph your vehicle so that if additional photos are required for examination, they can be e-
G
mailed. This may help eliminate delays in the approval process. Contact Vehicle Safety Technical Services for the proper e-mail address.
− Forward Appropriate Documents to Vehicle Safety Technical Services
STEP 6
You must submit the following documents to Vehicle Safety Technical Services:
G
The equipment certification form (from the application package) thoroughly completed and signed.
Four photographs clearly showing the front, rear and both sides of the completed vehicle.
Photocopies of proofs of ownership, bills of sale, and receipts for vehicle and/or major component parts (if you acquired a
vehicle in order to use any of its major component parts, you must have proof of ownership for the parts vehicle).
Photocopy of the vehicle’s weight certificate.
Mail the preceding documents to: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
G
Vehicle Safety Technical Services
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 111
Albany, NY 12228
Please Note: Not all vehicles will be approved for registration. PAGE 1 OF 2
− Forward Appropriate Documents to Division of Field Investigation
STEP 7
You must submit the following documents to the Division of Field Investigation:
G
All copies of form MV-272.1, Application for Vehicle Identification Number, (from the application package) thoroughly completed
and signed.
Photocopies of proofs of ownership, bills of sale, and receipts for vehicle and/or major component parts (if you acquired a
vehicle in order to use any of its major component parts, you must have proof of ownership for the parts vehicle).
A check or money order for $25.00 made payable to the “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles”.
Mail the preceding documents to:
G
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Division of Field Investigation
6 Empire State Plaza, Room 433
Albany, NY 12228-0433
Please note: The $25.00 application fee is not refundable. In order to avoid delays in registering your homemade vehicle, you may mail
the Application for Vehicle Identification Number to Field Investigation as soon as you wish. However, if Technical Services does not
approve your vehicle for registration, the $25.00 application fee will not be refunded.
The Division of Field Investigation will notify you by mail of the date, time and location of the examination. Contact the Division of Field
Investigation at (518) 474-2019 if you have questions regarding vehicle examination and VIN assignment.
− Vehicle Examination
STEP 8
WARNING: All of the manufacturer’s original identification numbers must be legible. Please do not paint over or conceal any identification number.
Appear at the examination site at the appointed place, date, and time. Please note: The vehicle must be towed or transported to and
G
from the examination site. The vehicle cannot be driven to the examination facility.
Present the originals of proofs of ownership, bills of sale, and receipts for vehicle and/or major component parts to the motor vehicle
G
investigator. Your original proofs of ownership documents will be returned to you before you leave the examination facility.
After successful completion of the examination, a vehicle identification number (VIN) yellow sticker will be assigned and affixed to the
G
vehicle, usually on the driver’s door post or hinge post. The VIN sticker will be affixed to the steering neck of a motorcycle. The validated
form MV-272.1, Application for Vehicle Identification Number will be given to you.
Fax or mail a copy of the validated form MV-272.1 to Vehicle Safety Technical Services.
G
Fax number (518) 473-9903
Once all of the requirements are met and the vehicle is approved for registration, Vehicle Safety Technical Services will mail the applicant a
signed and validated form VS-103, Notice of Registration Acceptability.
− Obtain the Safety Inspection
STEP 9
You must get the vehicle inspected at an official motor vehicle inspection station. Take form VS-103, Notice of Registration
G
Acceptability with you.
If the vehicle passes the safety inspection, make sure that the inspector completes the appropriate entries on form VS-103 for you.
G
Please note: The vehicle must be towed or transported to and from the public inspection station.
The vehicle cannot be driven to the inspection station.
− Apply for Registration
STEP 10
In order to apply for registration, bring the following documents to any Motor Vehicles issuing office:
G
Form VS-103, Notice of Registration Acceptability
Original copy form MV-272.1, Application for Vehicle Identification Number
A completed form MV-82, Vehicle Registration/Title Application
Proofs of identity and date of birth
Original copies of proofs of ownership, bills of sale, and receipts for vehicle and/or major component parts
Proof of insurance coverage
Proof of sales tax payment or exemption. Sales tax for the various parts may be included for customer- assembled vehicles
Original weight certificate. A weight certificate or proof of ownership that indicates the vehicle weight (completed vehicle weight)
The appropriate fee(s). Payment for the correct fees (sales tax, registration documents, vehicle plates and title certificate)
Please note: If you do not provide a completed form VS-103, you cannot register the vehicle or receive a title certificate.
Congratulations! You have completed the title and registration process.
Enjoy the safe and legal operation of your homemade vehicle!
PAGE 2 OF 2
VS-100 (2/11)

turbo1889

Jun 12, 2012
NorthWest Montana, USA
My eyes started to glaze over reading that; one great big ball of red tape if you ask me.

Thankfully in my state so long as my motor-bicycle has two or three wheels, the engine does not exceed 50cc and 2-hp, it doesn't go faster then 30-mph on the flat under engine power only, the pedals still work and can be used to power the bicycle as well with or without the motor running, and how I attach the motor to drive the bicycle doesn't require the operator to clutch or shift gears once the motor is engaged it is still legally a bicycle and no special requirements are needed for it to be operated on the public roadways

What the whole "doesn't require the operator to clutch or shift gears by once the motor is engaged" is about is that you can have a multi-speed assembly on the motor drive (or through the existing multi-speed pedal drive system like a sick-bikes gear kit) provided it isn't necessary to change gears in order for the motor to move the bicycle - usually interpreted by law enforcement officers as the motor being able to drive the bicycle from a dead stop in any gear without stalling the engine if you have multi-speed gearing between the engine and drive wheel. So if you have it geared up so high that you have to start it in a low gear and then shift up once your moving then you ain't legal. Which if you have it geared that way you probably ain't legal for the 30-mph top speed either in your highest gear.

Long story short you can have low hill climbing gears if you want too on the motor drive but your top end gear can't be so high that you can't start from a dead stop in it without stalling the motor and/or go faster then 30-mph.

Last edited:

gkhan

Feb 13, 2013
NY
Has anyone completed this process for a motorized bike, to your knowledge? I'd like to legally ride on NY highways.

chuck12563

Jun 8, 2011
Patterson, NY
I live in NY close to the NY/CT state line. I Drive my bike over to CT and ride it there as I gave up on trying to legalize it in NY.

I got myself 2 mopeds (1978 models, both 50cc's, 2-speeds with auto clutches) for use in NY. True mopeds can be registered and insured in NY and you only need a regular driver's license, a helmet and eye protection.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I live in Connecticut, but grew up on Long Island. I've spent about 80% of the last 6-months on Long Island (that's New York State, folks), and have had ZERO problems with the police; they just ignore me, and on 3 separate occasions I've had curious cops stop to ask me where I bought the kit. I ride less than 25MPH, on the shoulder, wear a helmet, and have flashers all over the place. Plus, I adhere to the traffic laws (for the most part ;) ). I have a Connecticut driver's license, so if I DID ever get pulled-over, I suspect I could plead ignorance, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Ride responsibly and respectfully. Acknowledge other drivers when they give you a surprised smile...give them a friendly wave for noticing you and respecting your space and safety. Maybe Suffolk cops are cooler, dunno 'bout Westchester.