South Carolina Moped Laws

GoldenMotor.com

kj4jbc

Dec 19, 2012
South Carolina
Hello everyone, I am new to the Moped laws here in South Carolina. I was told I did not need a drivers license to have one or opperate one. I have seen and heard that you are required to have a Moped license in-order to opperate one. My question is can you still get a license for a moped if your current license to opperate a Car or truck is suspended? Thanks for any help.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm originally from South Carolina. In SC you don't need a moped license if your drivers license has only been suspended for 6 months or less. Otherwise you will need one.

Last edited:

kj4jbc

Dec 19, 2012
South Carolina
OK Thanks. Now one more question. My license has been suspended for more than 5 years. for unpaid reinstatement fees. Will they let me still get a Moped license? or do I have to pay everything off before they give me one?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
OK Thanks. Now one more question. My license has been suspended for more than 5 years. for unpaid reinstatement fees. Will they let me still get a Moped license? or do I have to pay everything off before they give me one?
Is your license suspended, or expired.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I haven't lived in South Carolina in over 4 years. Therefore, I don't want to be the giver of bad advice. Here is what South Carolina states:

South Carolina Moped Laws

SECTION 56-1-1710. Meaning of "moped".

For purposes of this article, "moped" means a cycle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power or without pedals and with a motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters which produces not to exceed two brake horsepower and which is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty miles an hour on level ground. If an internal combustion engine is used, the moped must have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

SECTION 56-1-1720. Licensing requirement; minimum age; violations and penalties.

Until January 1, 1987, no person under the age of twelve may operate a moped on the public highways and streets of this State. After December 31, 1986, to operate a moped on the public highways and streets of this State, a person must possess a valid driver's license issued under Article 1 of this chapter or a valid moped operator's license issued under this article, except that a person whose driver's license has been suspended for a period of six months or less is not required to obtain a moped operator's license or possess a valid driver's license during the period of suspension. From January 1, 1987, to December 31, 1987, the Department shall not issue a moped operator's license to any person who is less than thirteen years of age. After December 31, 1987, the Department shall not issue a moped operator's license to any person who is less than fourteen years of age.

Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction of a first offense, must be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars and, upon conviction of a second or subsequent offense, must be fined not less than fifty dollars nor more than one hundred dollars.

The Department may not issue a beginner's permit or special restricted license as provided for in Sections 56-1-50 and 56-1-180 to any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of operating a moped on the public highways and roads of this State while under age, until that person is at least fifteen and one-half years of age.

SECTION 56-1-1730. Eligibility for, and suspension, revocation, or cancellation of, moped operator's license.

A person is eligible for a moped operator's license without regard to his eligibility for or the status of any other driver's license or permit. The department may suspend, revoke, or cancel a moped operator's license only for violations committed while operating a moped. A moped operator's license may be suspended, revoked, or canceled in the same manner and upon the same grounds for which any other motor vehicle operator's license or permit may be suspended, revoked, or canceled.

SECTION 56-1-1740. Examination of applicants for moped operator's license; fees; expiration and renewal of license.

The Department shall examine every applicant for a moped operator's license. The examination shall include a test of the applicant's eyesight and, as pertains to the operation of a moped, a test of his ability to read and understand highway signs regulating, warning, and directing traffic and his knowledge of the traffic laws of this State. The Department may require further physical and mental examination as it considers necessary to determine the applicant's fitness to operate a moped upon the highways, the further examination to be at the applicant's expense. The Department shall make provisions for giving an examination in the county where the applicant resides. The Department shall charge a fee of two dollars for each complete examination or reexamination required in this article.

The expiration and renewal of moped operator's licenses must be in accordance with Sections 56-1-210, 56-1-220, and 56-1-225.

SECTION 56-1-1750. Issuance of moped operator's license upon payment of fee; contents of license; validity and effect of license.

A photograph of the licensee is not required in accordance with Section 56-1-150.

SECTION 56-1-1760. Requirement that license be in immediate possession of operator of moped and that it be displayed upon demand of certain State officers.

Every licensee shall have his license in his immediate possession at all times when operating a moped and shall display it upon demand of any officer or agent of the department or any police officer of the State.

SECTION 56-1-1770. Application for moped operator's license.

Application for a moped operator's license must be in accordance with the procedures and requirements of Article 1, Chapter 1 of Title 56.

SECTION 56-1-1780. Applicability of Sections 56-1-100 and 56-1-230 to holders of moped operator's licenses. The provisions of Sections 56-1-100 and 56-1-230 apply to persons with moped operator's licenses.

kj4jbc

Dec 19, 2012
South Carolina
I am going to go to the DMV and ask them if I can. And if so I will get my license and keep everyone posted so they will know or not if others can get a license as well.

Last edited: