Clear coating raw steel on the cheap?

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
There are a few folks here that I pay attention to when they post. CCC is one of those people. If he gives advice on something I listen, he knows what he is talking about. I know you've already done most of the work and it is looking great. We all know an easier way now thanks to CCC.
I agree wholeheartedly! CCC's builds are rolling artwork.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Today over lunch, instead of eating I worked on the bike, naturally ;)

I went with wet sanding using 2000 grit paper, which surprisingly provided just about the same level of polish that I had with the brass wire wheel, but much more consistent from spot to spot, using a shoeshine-like technique. Followed that with more polishing by hand with Mother's and it is coming along nicely. I was afraid that the 2000 grit would not be agressive enough to do anything useful, but it seems to be fine. I would rather go a little too gentle and spend more time at it, than too aggressive.

The frame is almost where I want it to be, so another hour or two with the 2000 grit and polishing, and hopefully be ready to clear. Probably tomorrow morning if the weather holds out.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Gorgeous sunny (and very hot) morning, did a little more wet sanding and buffing, then sprayed 3 coats of Rustoleum Clear Engine Enamel. I got a little run on the top of the seatpost, but can wet sand that down after it cures.

So in 7 days, I can assemble and hopefully ride, woohoo!

I will update this post after some ride time to see how the clear holds up, especially to the gas spewed from the carb...