Fun with motor and mounting hardware paint

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I know most first time builder just want to get the parts on the bike and ride ASAP, but if you make the time to look at the bike and kit parts an $8 can of High Temp Motor Paint can make a big difference in how the bike looks when it's done.

Unless its a white or silver bike I tend to always paint all the kit brackets and mounts to match the bike, and for dark colored bikes I like to paint the 3 side covers and head black, but occasionally a bike comes along that could use a touch of another matching mount and motor color.

I keep silver and black 500F motor paint around all the time but on a couple of recent builds blue seemed more appropriate and sure enough the wholesale auto parts place around the corner carries all kinds of High Temp (500F) colors!

This is how these last two blue accent builds turned out.

To me there is a subtle but discernible difference between a bike that looks like it just had a kit added, and one that looks like it is actually part of the bike and just some paint can do that.

Post some pics of your builds where you managed to make the motor and kit parts look like they actually belonged there, I'd love to see them ;-}

A couple of notes:
I have the luxury of usually having the bike in hand to motorize, have a week before its kit arrives but every mounting part in it on hand so I can start with some paint work.

When painting the head I just put an old spark in that hole, some tissue in the 4 bolt holes, and with a little masking tape cover a head gasket and lay it over the cupped combustion chamber and mount metal. You don't want paint in any of those places.

I also found just a metal coat hanger with a series of 'wave ripples' in the bottom part you can hang most every mounting piece and even the tensioner on it and spray paint it with ease.

Again, just tips if you want to try it and please show your efforts.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great Looking bikes, KC.

Here's a couple for you. The Blue Schwinn got a color match to the bike's factory paint scheme, duplicating the chain guard swoosh.

The Norton bike got an engine painted the same color as the bike frame.

Color matching engine to bike gives them the look of a professionaly built machine and not as you said, "a bolt on kit".
Thanks for bringing it up.

Tom

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Beautifully done builds Tom, that is what I am talking about, that extra time, effort and a can of paint.

All that really matters to me on most any build is how it looks to me and the customer on delivery unless it's my current personal ride of course.
Big Red is a good example of how I tend to fuss over my own personal ride as was Bad Mojo, my previous personal ride.

This just seemed like a good topic to start.
'How fast will it go?' is always the first question from someone looking will ask, but if they usually start with 'Nice Bike!' first then you know.