Gears for a Big Mo Chopper? (working thread)

GoldenMotor.com

ReekyMarko

Apr 5, 2012
Finland
Hi, I've been researching on these MB's for some time and joined here to ask a couple of questions from you guys:

I'm starting to install a basic chinese 49cc 2-stroke engine on a Big Mo Chopper bicycle, and was wondering if I could somehow build gears for it. I would love to have at least have a couple of gears to get the ultimate thrust in uphills and better speed on flat. It doesn't have any gears originally, so I would like to know if it would be possible for me to install them now.

And another question straight after:

If I get the gears somehow working, I would also need a shifter kit, like the one on Sick Bike Parts, to convert the power to the other side of the bike. But since I'm from Finland (a little country on the other side of the puddle, next to Russia), it would be quite a hassle to order parts from the US. In addition to that, the kit itself is quite expensive and my budget for this project is really small, so I was wondering if I could build the kit myself. For what I know, the only complex item in the kit is the sprocket that allows the pedals to spin freely when the engine is running.

I'm sorry if my questions were unclear in some way, my mother language is not english and I'm tired right now :D. If you didn't understand something, feel free to ask.

Cheers and thanks already for the answers :)

EDIT: Oh, and here's the picture of the Big Mo bike if you don't know what I'm talking about:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Others may reply but I'm thinking the best (though not necessarily cheapest) way to add gears to that is to buy a nuvinci hub and get a bike shop to relace the rear wheel with it.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I got one of these with the intent of putting a Morini motor on it but decided not to do it. It would have taken cutting and welding the frame for the motor and make it bigger to fit me :p I sold it to DIANY who posts here, I think it's not getting motorized. Sweet little bike.

...just don't go to their site. It's in Thailand and will infest your computer with all sorts of malware.

Last edited: