First build, need suggestions on cranks

GoldenMotor.com

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Hey guys not too new to the forums but first time posting. I am having a little clearance problems with my cranks. I put a Dax F-50 kit on a (i have no idea) bike. Everything was running well until my plug wire broke and it turned out it was stuck in the cdi so turns out I need a new cdi. That is on order and while I am at it i decided might as well get some cool new bells and whistles. I bought the SPB expansion chamber and could not get it mounted in a way that would clear my cranks. (pics by how much bellow). I am not completely set on the current set up but I really like the ascetics half and I think it will be easy to mount. Ohhh sorry for quality of pics had to use my phone :(

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
ez,
I ran the pipe "upside down" up to the tank and down the rear upper chain stay It follows the bike line pretty well, grind the stock bracket on the large part of the pipe off, use screw type hose clamps on the 45 deg rear chain stay to hold the rear part of the pipe, if you tuck it up tight near the seat, it will not interfere with your leg, plus it's a nice warmer in the winter. Looks like you have 3 piece cranks so you can try cold bending or order a set of off set cranks and reconfigure the pipe when you get 'em.

Mac

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
If you have the time and still have the bike, could you post some pics? I'm having a trouble following what your saying.

I ran the pipe "upside down" up to the tank and down the rear upper chain stay It follows the bike line pretty well, grind the stock bracket on the large part of the pipe off, use screw type hose clamps on the 45 deg rear chain stay to hold the rear part of the pipe, if you tuck it up tight near the seat, it will not interfere with your leg, plus it's a nice warmer in the winter.
I have tried all kinds of things having it go up but didn't have much luck.

If you don't get to it thanks any way.

Robert

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
I have a trek 830, same frame same bike. With the motor mounted the pedals were def in the way. I will also get the wide bottom bracket too. Thanks for the help.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
I have a trek 830, same frame same bike. With the motor mounted the pedals were def in the way. I will also get the wide bottom bracket too. Thanks for the help.
Hey just wondering when did you get the bike? how old is it and do you think it will hold up? I found mine so I have no idea. thx

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
its a double butted frame...so it will hold up. I converted my bike to SS, and ran a smaller 32t up front with the wider BB setup. It will clear this way.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Some high voltage lead wires on the CDI are glued. Before you trash a possibility good CDI, dig the wire out of it's holder. There should be a screw that the wire will screw onto. ...Strip the case about 1/8" before installing the lead, followed by glue if needed.