What kind of headlight?

GoldenMotor.com

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
Ive been searching for a headlight for my bike that wont flicker or break due to the vibration of the engine, i want one that is powered by the engine, or by battery, any suggestions? everything i try just self destructs due to the engine.xx.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You could get a few LED fashlights and rework them so that you can be powered from the white wire. At low engine RPMs you will have some flicker, but that can be taken care of with an electrolytic capacitor or two. You would need to add a rectifier to the white wire so that the LEDs get fed a DC voltage instead of the engine's AC.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I bought a Schwinn solar charged headlight/taillight combo about a year back. Headlight takestwo 'AAA" batteries... I have recharged them twice over the past year. The taillight has no removable battery, charges off the solar panel only. Runs like a champ. The headlight provides enough light to travel 20mph at night, much faster and the 'OMG!!!' factor increases dramatically. It works for now, but I am looking into better lighting as we speak... just like every other aspect of this mania/hobby
the Old Sgt.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Last edited:

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
I guess another good bit of info is where are you driving your MB at? I want as bright as possible for driving at night in the country were we have A LOT of deer to run into and hitting a deer with your body at 30 MPH would suck. If you're driving in a city and just want to be seen that's a different story.

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
My budget is close to nothing, amd im driving around a city just outside LA, but also in the smaller communities in the hills around my area, very few street lights

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Well 30-40 bucks for a very good flashlight could save you a lot of pain and agony later down the road, not to mention expense if you hit an animal/pothole at a decent speed. I hit a raccoon once on my pedal power bike at about 13-15 mph and broke the front rim and took a bunch of skin off. To add insult to injury I had to carry the bike home since the front wheel was in no shape to roll and that's not fun with skinned bleeding hands.
So basically find light with a brightness level you'll be happy with. The one I mentioned before is very bright and I think worth it.