Need help with wiring

GoldenMotor.com

Bomber

Nov 22, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
ok, so i have been working on restoring m 1966 sears & roebuck bicycle and today i bought an engine kit for it off craigslist. it was brand new, but it didn't come with a manual. so i have been learning as i go and now i have reached a point where i cant figure some things out.

So on the bike, there is a white, blue and black wire, and a kill switch wire. i assumed the black goes to black and blue goes to blue. Now i have the white wire which goes to nothing, and the kill switch hooked up to nothing and those two wires have no way of connecting (see picture) im wondering what i need to do to get it connected?

kill switch

electronic unit

wires

Thanks in advance and any advice would help.

Stephen

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's a wiring diagram for you. I suggest insulating the white wire so it cannot come in contact with any metal.

The fuel petcock you show does in fact have a filter. We also suggest in conjunction with the in-tank filter than an in-line filter be installed between the tank and the carburetor.

Be sure to clean the inside of the fuel tank before you install it.

You might want to explore our Google Search feature. Simply type in a keyword like, "wiring" and you'll have pages to read on the subject.
Good luck.
Tom

Attachments

Bomber

Nov 22, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
ok i got the fuel situation done but i still have a question with the kill switch. that diagram shows the kill switch having 2 wires, where mine only has a single black wire. i read on a manual that it is ok to hook the kill switch directly to the white wire. is that true? and also if it is i just opened up the little brass piece and stuck them together. is that ok?
heres the piece of the manual i got that info from

Ignition Coil and Engine Kill Switch installation
A) Mount CD ignition coil on bike frame, close enough to attach coil wire to spark plug. Mount as far away from exhaust pipe as possible to avoid heat damage to semiconductors in CDI module. A) Attach CD ignition coil wires to same identical color coded wires coming from engine. A) Install Engine Kill Switch: Select one of 3 kinds. A. Small handlebar type: B. Throttle kill switch: C. Kill switch on optional twist handle clutch. Attach chosen kill switch wire to white wire coming from engine. If switch has two wires, take one to frame grd. and one to the engine white wire.
A) Route all wires away from engine exhaust heat. Secure wires with a plastic tie straps.
*!WARNING! Operation of engine without stop or kill switch installed could result in personal injury if an emergency stop is required! The only alternate non recommended way of killing the engine is by releasing the clutch lever with bike brakes on and engine at slowest idle.

http://www.gasbike.net/images_templ/GasBike-Bicycle-Motor-Engine-Kit-80cc-Installation-Manual.pdf

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can use the white wire as an engine (ignition) cut-off but you can also use the blue wire. The switch in your kit is internally grounded so it only has a single wire. The problem with this method is that you'll have to provide a good electrical connection (ground) between the engine case and the bicycle frame. The two wire kill switches do not need a seperate ground from the bike to the engine. To electrically connect the engine to the frame you'll either have to remove some paint where the engine mounts attache or run a seperate ground wire from the case to someplace on the frame. You might get some differing opinions on this and optional ways of doing it but the methods outlined above will work.
Also, those kit supplied bullet connectors on the wires need to be cut off and thrown away. We suggest soldering all electrical connections and protecting them with heat shrink tubing. The push-together connectors are notorious for causing electrical problems with these engines.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I found that the white wire on some kits wont kill the engine, grubee and bgf kits say to use the white wire on the kill switch but only the blue wire has worked for me.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you wanted, you could add an extra wire to the kill switch.
A ring lug and wire onto the kill switch's mounting bolt will give you your ground wire that can be connected to the black wires from the engine/CDI.