New user, some questions!

GoldenMotor.com

HotStuff2

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Joined this forum after several Google searches, and was hoping I could get some feedback / ideas.

I have a 26" mountain bike, in decent shape, and I want to add a motor to it so I can get around more easily. As of right now, I pedal + take the bus, but with a motor, I'd be able to ride to pretty much wherever I wanted, without the hassle of waiting on the bus nor being exhausted on long rides (I can do 2-3 miles right now.)

After a lot of research, I think I'd be best off with a 4-stroke motor, perhaps the Gas Bike Storm 49cc kit. I'm not an excellent mechanic, but I do know my way around a tool set, and I can follow instructions, so I'm pretty sure I can put it on myself, albeit it'll probably take me several hours. There are a couple of people locally who could do the work for me, but they want ~$200 in labor; I think for that price, I can do it myself and save the coin, no?

I'm leaning toward the 4-stroke because I'd like to avoid mixing oil & gas every time I fill up, not to mention it'd be much easier to just pull up to the pump & put the gas in by itself. It's also my understanding that a 4-stroke won't be quite as noisy nor belch as much smoke as a 2-stroke, correct? Granted, the 4-stroke costs more, but it's worth it, no?

If I read it right, the Gas Bike Storm 49cc kit is capable of 40km/h, which is roughly 60mph top speed? Is that right?

Are there any other 4-stroke kits I should be looking at? Or should I be considering a cheaper 2-stroke?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
$200 is not out of line for a build, I charge $185 because there is lot more to it that it looks like, starting with the one major place most rookies screw up which is attaching the drive sprocket to the rear wheel spokes. If that is not perfect you will have drive problems constantly.

One thing to note about a 4-stroke opposed to 2-stroke is you have to replace your entire Bottom Bracket (pedal crank shaft) to wider one so the pedals will fit around the wider motor. If you don't have the specific tools for your bike which being a Mountain Bike has multiple front chainrings and derailleur as well will not be fun either.

How far do you travel each way, and what is the terrain like?

And no, you won't be able to go 60MPH on the thing, nor would you want to hehehe ;-}
Without gears figure 25-30 MPH on flat ground.

HotStuff2

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Yes, the installation is sort of what concerns me, as the level of difficulty seems to be at least medium (possibly higher?) As for distance, I don't have a set destination; I just want something to get me around easier than pedaling or taking the bus. I live in Tampa, FL, so it's all pretty much flat roads, some slight hills, and will be street-driven.

My major questions are 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke; things like mixing the oil & gas (2-stroke) vs. the 4-stroke's "just gas", the sound (2-strokes are louder, no?), and the amount of smoke I can reasonably expect from the exhaust.

Also, which would be faster and/or more fuel efficient, a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke? From reading, it seems the 4-stroke would have the advantage in both.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I'd stay away from gasbike. They are a corrupt buisness. They even own 2 websites that have a different title but same phone numbers and merchandise, They own gaskbike.net and kings motorbikes.com. They are owned by Nationwide Access LLC. People that have bought stuff from them have had several issues. People buy one engine and the one that arrives at their door is completely different. Some parts looked used.... I could go on but heres a very good deal for a friction drive that get u to your destination every time. Staton is a top quality, great buisness with great support. Their kits They last a lifetime if taken care of. :)
:FDR-335 Robin Subaru 33.5 cc 1.60 HP Four Cycle Engine Kit

Last edited:

HotStuff2

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks for the good info - exactly what I was looking for. What exactly is a "friction drive", anyway? One of the kits I looked at combined a 4-stroke 49cc motor with a friction drive kit, for around $350 (which is about what I'm hoping to spend on the motor kit.)

edit: Found it, it's the ThatsDax.com "SUPER TITAN XC50S WITH TANK, FRICTION DRIVE SYSTEM, THROTTLE PACKAGE, EVERYTHING YOU NEED AND 90 DAY WARRANTY ONLY 392.97 AND 19USD SHIPPING" - seems like a decent enough deal, no?

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Thats probably your best bet to start with.The 2 stroke"66"ers are actually very dependable and work just as good but require a lot more experience.xct2